Post-Game Talk: Nuke It From Orbit ... Oilers Lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Can you blame the Blues?

They were bullying the Oilers after the whistles, getting next to no response from the Oilers and getting PPs out of it.

Pretty good point. Seems like the roadhouse rules were smiling on this type of thing. Why not keep bashing heads?

Its the bs NHL and what we've seen often enough before. The kind of specious application of rules administered by that "fine broth of a lad", Shanahan, that thinks facewashes between every whistle are mandatory interaction.

Fact of the matter is the NHL quietly loves this stuff.

I'll be honest too. I found myself excited by the action in the 3rd in a way that doesn't happen often in recent seasons. But more due to the basic villainy which sells tickets just fine..

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I know the Oilers should of defended themselves and teammates more often but at the same time every time we did we ended up down a man. Like Hall getting a blatant stick to the face Perron goes over to stick up for the now injured Hall and he ends up in the box instead.

who cares if we get the penalties now, were losing anyway, we need to start bonging some heads together and swinging some sticks.

whaaaa the refs arent sticking up for me and when i do something they give me a penalty.

one of the best coaches i ever had in Midget AAA always had a theory that when the games are getting out of hand and refs are calling everything "you're going to get a penalty anyway, might as well stick up for each other."

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
who cares if we get the penalties now, were losing anyway, we need to start bonging some heads together and swinging some sticks.

whaaaa the refs arent sticking up for me and when i do something they give me a penalty.

one of the best coaches i ever had in Midget AAA always had a theory that when the games are getting out of hand and refs are calling everything "you're going to get a penalty anyway, might as well stick up for each other."

Yeah but one of the frustrating things is Oilers getting tossed or put in penalty box whenever things were getting interesting. Refs made it pretty apparent they were gonna be allowing no dustups in the OK corral, while allowing anything else the blues were doing.

At one point I thought the Oil had more players in he box then the bench. An interesting application of rules by the refs catching the reaction almost every time.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
ill be honest and say i didnt see the game but i have seen the oilers puss out enough times to assume it happened again

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
the oilers showed some ability but failed on defending the crease and clearing rebounds/tying up forwards.

Let's hope they add some meat and brains on the back end
, and some meat and brains at center.

RNH get's owned against larger opponents, they need to either get him to bulk up or play on the second line against the smaller defenders.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
the oilers showed some ability but failed on defending the crease and clearing rebounds/tying up forwards.

Let's hope they add some meat and brains on the back end
, and some meat and brains at center.

RNH get's owned against larger opponents, they need to either get him to bulk up or play on the second line against the smaller defenders.

RNH has been playing on the 2nd line. That's the one that has been getting horribly owned lately. :/

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
ill be honest and say i didnt see the game but i have seen the oilers puss out enough times to assume it happened again

Actually they showed enough push back in first two periods that they were kind of pissing off the blues. Plus that the Blues got all ******* about the Oilers 2nd goal which they figured was the handiwork of axe murderers..:laugh:

I think truth be told something happened in Blues dressingroom between periods and they rolled out the big guns in the 3rd.

When you got guys like Reaves hunting Smyth, Sobotka and two guys going at Perron, Several players taking liberties at Hall, and the Refs creating interference and holding Oilers contributing to odd man scrums when they weren't tossing Oilers in box or out of game certainly contributed to things.

Blues played the thugs, refs were amused, Oilers got sanctioned. It was a weird 3rd period lets just say.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Craig Button on CHED really laid on to the coaching for many of the team's faults. Good for him. Side Stepper Stauffer didn't give much following the comments. Basically trying to sugar coat the situation. I really think Stauffer wants to say something but he just can't . Being employed by the Oilers makes him nearly useless in his position..Ugh

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
lol an ordinary Oilers team in 97 dismantled one of these Hitch play hard every night kinds of teams. Because the Dallas Stars just couldn't find another gear when the games matter..

God, I miss the late-90s-to-2006 Oiler approach to toughness and grit.

Those teams didn't go looking for a fight but attempt to bully them like St Louis did last night and they were a pack of wolves. Not stupid tough guy **** like Backes or Lucic either but total buy-in from a ton of tough, old-school, take-a-stick-in-the-teeth-get-stiched-on-the-bench guys like Smith, Smyth, Grier, Marchant, Weight, etc, etc.

Even when Dallas rolled over them, they were too beat up to get out of the second round.

Far cry from today's bunch...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Those teams didn't go looking for a fight but attempt to bully them like St Louis did last night and they were a pack of wolves. Not stupid tough guy **** like Backes or Lucic either but total buy-in from a ton of tough, old-school, take-a-stick-in-the-teeth-get-stiched-on-the-bench guys like Smith, Smyth, Grier, Marchant, Weight, etc, etc.

Even when Dallas rolled over them, they were too beat up to get out of the second round.

Oh I agree. I liked that club a lot. They didn't initiate the ****, but they could respond. What I liked about that club as well is they could really dial up the intensity game when other things weren't going as well.

It was interesting in that 7 game series the attrition it took on the Dallas Stars. Even if the Stars had gone to the next round they were finished anyway that year. Bone tired team by the end of it. Few people really pointed that out. They looked exhausted. That said the Oil didn't have a tank of gas left either. The Oil hit the wall a few games into the Colorado series.

One of the inherent problems with a knock down drag out type series and approach to hockey is if it goes 7 games it does the number on both clubs. This also happened to a depleted LA squad last year. got by the Blues but at considerable price. Case of winning the battle and losing the war. What else can you do?

Its one of the reasons why the Kings probably took their pre Olympic unauthorized break this season. If they get some room you'll see them take some more games off. I think Kings would be fine with finishing say 5th or 6th spot. All you really want to do is avoid a fight to the death matchup in first round. Which the Kings fell into last season.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC

Amen. **** the Oilers rebuild route. I feel sorry for any fan base who thinks first overall picks are magic beans. It's really all about superior management.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Amen. **** the Oilers rebuild route. I feel sorry for any fan base who thinks first overall picks are magic beans. It's really all about superior management.

tbh a lot of us chronics here never wanted the rebuild route and saw the pitfalls in it.

For instance that if you design by intent the worst team in the league than it logically follows that its got a good probability of staying stuck at the bottom indefinitely.

The irony being a lot of casual NHL fans that love NHL EA type novelty, and really wanted everything blown up real good and an annual raft of new players got their exact wish and now are largely nowhere to be seen.

This rebuild *plan* was pretty much a disaster from infancy.

But now this is the present reality.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
tbh a lot of us chronics here never wanted the rebuild route and saw the pitfalls in it.

For instance that if you design by intent the worst team in the league than it logically follows that its got a good probability of staying stuck at the bottom indefinitely.

The irony being a lot of casual NHL fans that love NHL EA type novelty, and really wanted everything blown up real good and an annual raft of new players got their exact wish and now are largely nowhere to be seen.

Spot on, but

Let's be serious and not forget how absolutely terrible and how long Chicago and Pittsburgh were during their years in the basement. Chicago was once the laughing stock of the league much like the Oilers are today (without 3 1st overalls). It took a death in ownership and management to right their ship, and Pittsburgh just kind of sucked at the best possible time. The Oilers can follow in the footsteps of Chicago and turn it around. That would require a change in management. I mean, to be competitive period...regardless of the route taken. Einstein said that problems cannot be solved with the same mindset that created them.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Just like Pittsburgh. Or L.A. Or Chicago. I wonder if they'll ever recover.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

The rebuild would have been fine if it was a complete organizational overhaul. New management, scouting staff, few star potential players and a revamped support group.

Instead, it's Lowe/Mact calling the shots again like it was when the team was driven into rebuild status from 2007 - 2010, the scouting staff is identical sans Predergast, and the team has no depth because NHL players aren't interested in playing for a team that loses 65%+ of their games per year. The Oilers operated under the idea that they could draft a couple of first overall picks, shuffle some 4th liners around, and play musical chairs with head coaches, and voila - everything would be fixed.

The reality and ongoing disaster of the rebuild is that the people who created the mess while routinely showing they have no ability to learn from their own mistakes are still around running things.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Craig Button on CHED really laid on to the coaching for many of the team's faults. Good for him. Side Stepper Stauffer didn't give much following the comments. Basically trying to sugar coat the situation. I really think Stauffer wants to say something but he just can't . Being employed by the Oilers makes him nearly useless in his position..Ugh

Honestly I'm surprised they bring him on. Button has been picking apart the coaching staff (with good reason) almost every week he's on now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Honestly I'm surprised they bring him on. Button has been picking apart the coaching staff (with good reason) almost every week he's on now.

Eakins is the worst coach in Oilers history. The only good thing that will come from his hire is if we somehow land Ekblad this year.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC

Perhaps because there are factions growing in the organization who are as interested in change as much as the rest of us.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Perhaps because there are factions growing in the organization who are as interested in change as much as the rest of us.

He has a regular segment that is unrelated to current Oiler events, has for a long time now.

If he keeps up his criticisms of Oiler approved staff members though, he'll be phased out over the summer.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Spot on, but

Let's be serious and not forget how absolutely terrible and how long Chicago and Pittsburgh were during their years in the basement. Chicago was once the laughing stock of the league much like the Oilers are today (without 3 1st overalls). It took a death in ownership and management to right their ship, and Pittsburgh just kind of sucked at the best possible time. The Oilers can follow in the footsteps of Chicago and turn it around. That would require a change in management. I mean, to be competitive period...regardless of the route taken. Einstein said that problems cannot be solved with the same mindset that created them.
The Oilers will tell you that they changed their management last spring. Problem solved.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad