Post-Game Talk: Nuke It From Orbit ... Oilers Lose 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Lol! And if the Blues are Uruk-hai, it makes sense that the hobbits would get under their skin.

Sorry Replacement, I only chimed in because I'm a long time Oiler fan as well and, though I don't condone unnecessary roughness, I also don't think the Blues are particularly ignoble. Maybe they crossed the line against some of the hobbits the other night, but I think it will do the Oil some good. The west is a mans conference, the sooner they realize that the better.

As for why the Blues got testy? I read that Miller was seething about being interfered with just prior to Fraser's goal. At the 2nd intermission he told some fellow Blues to take it out on the Oilers in the 3rd. Perhaps when the Oilers started to get chippy, that request was acted upon. Just a guess, and not trying to justify it. But that's life in the big boys' sandbox.

Anyway, sorry to pry. Best of luck Oil, I truly am pulling for them. In the mean time, why not hop on the Blues wagon with Magnus for a wild ride?

LOL...Man's conference? Really? That's how you're trying to justify the way the Blues try to play hockey? They're playing in the mode the Canucks used to, before they fell and the Blues will do the same ...easily. Playing goon hockey isn't sustainable. It playing the game football style and that rarely works long term, especially in the playoffs when quality rises to the top.

The only reason the blues are where they are is because of their quality of defensemen. They have some of the least-skilled forwards in the west, by far. That's not going to get them far in the playoffs, as usual. Having Miller will help but they'll meet teams that will exploit their lack of skill. Their goon-like behaviour will be exposed by teams as long as the refs are on their games and they'll lose on PP, etc.

As long as the refs call the game within the rules, the Blues won't be able to handle many of the other teams in the conference. They simply don't have the skill.

Similar to last season, it's going to depend on who the Blues play in the first/second rounds. They can win a round or two or go out in the first. A team like LA handled them physically because they played similar styles. However, that only worked so much for LA because they got lucky and played a weaker team in SJ and the refs let the Kings away with way too much. You see what happened when they met a much superior team in the Hawks.

Blues fans seem to have very short memories as well. Not long ago, the blues were the laughing stock of the league and they still haven't won anything yet.

It'll be nice to hear all the whining and excuses when they don't win the cup again this year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Ott is a *********, no thanks to his antics. Gordon and Hendricks are just as good and they don't bring the clownshow.

Yep. Remember when the Nucks brought in May, Brookebank, Cooke and that clownshow and which lead subsequently to the Bertuzzi incident?

Teams need to be careful that idiots like this start establishing a team identity that soon goes beyond what anybody would reasonably want. With idiots like May OPENLY talking retribution, bounty, and established vendetta. It was comical following that club and you just knew some stupid things were going to be happening. didn't help at all that Crawford was headcoach.

But again I'll say this the NHL should've cracked down hard on the Nucks the moment May started talking about bounty. I stated this at the time and saw it as a significant problem. Two weeks later the criminal assault on Moore took place. That the NHL had not intervened in what was so obviously going to be a problem was incredible. It was straight out of slapshot bushleague.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
This is... Just a terrible post. We really don't need that excerpt from your eharmony profile at all. Its a hockey board.

No one said aggressive = classless. If you don't get the point by now, time to move on. An you can keep your Keslers and Backes of you think thats good, aggressive hockey. I'll take the Webers and Toews, thanks.

I believe someone previously said the Blues were too aggressive with the Oilers... which, if I followed the narrative correctly, resulted in a generalized "disrespecting" of the Oilers (and, apparently, their fans). Furthermore, disrespecting your opponent will eventually come back to haunt you. With this, I agree. I'm pretty sure that wasn't their intent but I do agree that their aggressive actions could be construed as such.

On behalf of the overly physical players on the Blues (and Americans who display such inappropriate behavior), I wish to convey my apologies. I think it's something in the water. Btw, I would take Weber and Toews over Kes and Backes too, they're better players. But it helps to have some testosterone to balance the Petro and JayBo elements, especially against teams like LA. I suspect Backes would be a fan favorite in Edmonton if he were an Oiler, much like Kessler is in Van.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
LOL...Man's conference? Really? That's how you're trying to justify the way the Blues try to play hockey? They're playing in the mode the Canucks used to, before they fell and the Blues will do the same ...easily. Playing goon hockey isn't sustainable. It playing the game football style and that rarely works long term, especially in the playoffs when quality rises to the top.

The only reason the blues are where they are is because of their quality of defensemen. They have some of the least-skilled forwards in the west, by far. That's not going to get them far in the playoffs, as usual. Having Miller will help but they'll meet teams that will exploit their lack of skill. Their goon-like behaviour will be exposed by teams as long as the refs are on their games and they'll lose on PP, etc.

As long as the refs call the game within the rules, the Blues won't be able to handle many of the other teams in the conference. They simply don't have the skill.

Similar to last season, it's going to depend on who the Blues play in the first/second rounds. They can win a round or two or go out in the first. A team like LA handled them physically because they played similar styles. However, that only worked so much for LA because they got lucky and played a weaker team in SJ and the refs let the Kings away with way too much. You see what happened when they met a much superior team in the Hawks.

Blues fans seem to have very short memories as well. Not long ago, the blues were the laughing stock of the league and they still haven't won anything yet.

It'll be nice to hear all the whining and excuses when they don't win the cup again this year.

In past years I would've agreed with this. But all you have to do is look at the numbers being put up by the forwards this season to see that the forward depth has improved considerably over prior seasons. The draft picks have matured, in Schwartz and Tarasenko, so there's more skill up front. Most "experts" agree that the forward talent is not elite, but there's an over-abundance of very good talent. That depth can win games in the playoffs when your elite players are being hounded.

But since the Blues haven't proved anything yet, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. The beauty is that players like Schwartz and Tarasenko will only get better, and they've got Jaskin and Rattie ready to step in in the next season or two. The window of success is just now opening and should stay open for a while, most would agree. Time will tell.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers made Jay-Bo and Tarasenko look like Scott Stevens and Dave Semenko. Such a weak team with no fight in it. It wasn't a case of the Blues purposely gooning the Oiler, but the Oilers just being a punch of pu#%y's.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I believe someone previously said the Blues were too aggressive with the Oilers... which, if I followed the narrative correctly, resulted in a generalized "disrespecting" of the Oilers (and, apparently, their fans).
This part you misinterpreted. Aggression is part of the sport of hockey albeit expressed in many different ways. I have no difficulty with physical play DURING play, of legal hits, and playing a club hard. Indeed this is what our kids need to see more of.

The bs comes in the form of the Blues scrumming and getting in the face of several players after nearly every whistle, which they seem to have a penchant for doing. I was quite amazed how the Blues pursued some grudge even after the game was decided. The blues tried to stir stuff after the whistle several times in the 3rd and several times were aggressively pursuing some agenda after the whistle . An agenda that you yourself maintain was in response to some Miller tantrum between periods. At one point 3 Blues were going at Perron for no reason whatsoever and with Sobotka punching him in the face. I think its an absolute joke the amount of times I saw the Blues going at one oiler player and picking their spots. Who they targeted also being hilarious. Gaz, Fraser, Hendricks, Ference were perfectly willing to dance at any point. Reaves, who was a clown in this game dodged that at every step while targeting players like Ryan Smyth to fight. Again what a ****ing joke.

Furthermore, disrespecting your opponent will eventually come back to haunt you. With this, I agree. I'm pretty sure that wasn't their intent but I do agree that their aggressive actions could be construed as such.
Well that was the stated point all along. You didn't catch it and inferred something else. Furthermore theres zero doubt the Blues were disrespecting their opponent. Maybe fire up the game again and watch it this time.

On behalf of the overly physical players on the Blues (and Americans who display such inappropriate behavior), I wish to convey my apologies. I think it's something in the water. Btw, I would take Weber and Toews over Kes and Backes too, they're better players. But it helps to have some testosterone to balance the Petro and JayBo elements, especially against teams like LA. I suspect Backes would be a fan favorite in Edmonton if he were an Oiler, much like Kessler is in Van.
You can suspect whatever you like and have throughout this dialog. Don't confuse either the jk around comments for instance the water, or some taunting about Team Canada vs Team USA would be naturally expressed here as well it should be. If I was making these posts on the Blues board I would expect to be dressed down on the comments. As you are here. Rightfully so I might add because its certainly been your intent to stir. The niceties don't disguise that.

As for Backes no I wouldn't particularly want him on my club anymore than I would want Scott Hartnell and his circus on my club. I see these as very similar players that advocate for virtually identical play. When players like this have assumed control this is the kind of play that follows. As stated by others the "go to war every game" teams tend to not win very much at all when something is really on the line in playoffs and other clubs are standing up and being counted. I do know that the Blues, through their actions, will make every series a war. With at least 3 series likely promising strong adversary. The NHL playoffs is all about pacing and attrition so making matters more difficult is not the wisest approach to take. Which the Blues haven't learned yet.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You missed the point of my response:dunno: I don't much care about the presidents trophy either the point is the blues are a team that appear to care. It's pretty clear they have a good team but there have been a lot of teams that have focused on regular season success only to come up lame when it really mattered. Look at their last few years if you need any evidence.

If the blues are going out of their way to lay it on thick against a team like the oilers, it's conceivable they may be creating problems for themselves down the road. I could easily see fatigue and injuries being a problem if they are the type of team that not only leaves it all out there but also go out of their way to rough guys up every night. I think replacement was eluding to this in some of his posts so I was simply verifying that as a legitimate take which it is. Sorry if you can't see that. :laugh:

What I do see is a portion of posters who are trying their damnedest to read as much as possible into a game where the outcome was totally predictable.

The Oilers were predictably ***** slapped by a legitimate contender.

We have no way of knowing what was being said on the ice which lead to some of the extra curricular stuff.

It hardly defines the Blues as a team in terms of how successful their playoffs will be.

That claim is absolute nonsense.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Nah, goes beyond that. Its nonsense. In the sequence in question I was talking about a middle aged lady was screaming, literally freaking out at Smyth and wanting Greaves to punch him out. Like some kind of crazed bloodlust.

This really is the same bs carnival we used to see in Philly. I've seen nothing else like it.

I don't know if all the games are this rabid in STL but it was over the top.

lol if some Blues get suspended before or during the playoffs. This club plays pretty dirty and over the edge.

That BS with Tarasenko charging Hall is just out of control aggressive monkey ****. Doubt he'd be doing that playing on any other club. The players are getting carried away with this and I'm fine with the Blues doing that because it'll cost them in the playoffs.

Lets be clear here too. I have zero respect for the Blues going nuts in this game running a bunch of kids. Lets see what they do against the real clubs in real playoff games.

Yep. Smyth was incensed a couple times. One when Greaves was running him and the other play you mention.

Overall couldn't believe the amount of times in a game the Blues go to confront other teams players. Theres what the Oilers do, which is seldom, which is inappropriate, and what the Blues do which is hyper aggressive ****. Seems like Backes needs to remind himself every 5 mins how tough he is by trying to take Gagners head off(while Gagner was being held, no penalty on either) or facewashing every kid in the lineup.

Blues must lead the league in between whistles face washes/60mins.

Somebody wins a faceoff-face wash

Somebody scores a goal-face wash rabbit punch

Somebody allows a puck to trickle into Miller after whistle. -face wash wannabe punch

Somebody looks at you -One Blue holds you, Sobotka face washes you, sneaks a dirty punch in when no ones looking.

Somebody comes back to town playing for opponent. 10 face washes, 10 scrums, Sobotka and another Blue double teaming Perron after whistle acting tough..

Like I said this is broadstreet bullies ****. The NHL just lapping it up and looking the other way because hockey is big again in St Louis:laugh:

I agree...Replacements take on the Blues is ridiculous at best.
Its tough to conceive how this is a flawed strategy of some kind based on a 25 year old analogy using the best team in hockey history as a benchmark. :shakehead

This is a case of a legit contender flexing is collective muscle in preparation for the playoffs. Exactly what they should be doing at this point in time.
There was no push back by the Oilers which is indicative of the lack of heart on this team.

Add it to the list of things to be improved. In 3 years time, if all the pieces fall into place, maybe then the Oilers will be able to compete with the big boys.

We'll revisit this 2mths later when the Blues are tossed out on their ass again..

Blues at this point are regular season giants. They haven't yet learned a thing about winning when it counts.

I think you are being exceedingly myopic about this.
The roster improvements on the Blues are blatantly obvious and the playoffs will underscore that IMO

Meh, I don't have a problem with replacements take. How many teams have won the presidents trophy over the years only to flop in the playoffs. You need to leave something in the tank for the playoffs. I think that a more veteran team gets this more then a yournger team like the blues. I guess we will see how it pans out but the take isn't as ridiculous as you make it seem.

ps...I'd like to see somebody pound Backes' face into a canoe

Bah...I couldn't care less who wins the Presidents trophy. I look at their roster and I see a legit cup contender.

Well coached...best defence in the NHL...girt, size, character and skill on every line. Very good goaltending.

I sure wouldn't bet against them.
But then again I am not getting petty with personal bias when evaluating their lineup

You missed the point of my response:dunno: I don't much care about the presidents trophy either the point is the blues are a team that appear to care. It's pretty clear they have a good team but there have been a lot of teams that have focused on regular season success only to come up lame when it really mattered. Look at their last few years if you need any evidence.

If the blues are going out of their way to lay it on thick against a team like the oilers, it's conceivable they may be creating problems for themselves down the road. I could easily see fatigue and injuries being a problem if they are the type of team that not only leaves it all out there but also go out of their way to rough guys up every night. I think replacement was eluding to this in some of his posts so I was simply verifying that as a legitimate take which it is. Sorry if you can't see that. :laugh:

yep

I'll add something else.

I'll use some examples. The Montreal Canadiens in their glory years, and Edmonton Eskimos had some well established modus operandi. The motto, in short, being winning while respecting your opponent. Always respect your opponent. Because whatever you do to that opponent will eventually come back on you

True champions, and teams that put it together, and win often, always understand that going out of your way to embarrass your opposition only makes them play that much harder, and only makes your job that much harder. Some teams understand this I guess, others not so much. Creating enemy opponents, and some teams are good at that, ends up being a potential problem.

Winning with some grace, dignity, respect makes for better games and fortunes.

ps The single worst thing that Gretz commented that he felt bad about in his career was his comment about the NJ devils. Because it went well against the advised script of respecting opponent.

What I do see is a portion of posters who are trying their damnedest to read as much as possible into a game where the outcome was totally predictable.

The Oilers were predictably ***** slapped by a legitimate contender.

We have no way of knowing what was being said on the ice which lead to some of the extra curricular stuff.

It hardly defines the Blues as a team in terms of how successful their playoffs will be.

That claim is absolute nonsense

A bit of sweet vindication for Replacement. He called it. Haha....like I said at the time it was a legitimate take and it more or less played out the way he said. The blues got worn down. Look at all the injuries just before the playoffs then numb nuts Backes messes with the wrong bull.:laugh: I think Guymez owes him an apology.....:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad