GDT: NSH @ WSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I just wonder how it works behind the scenes. Lavi clearly has a doghouse cuz we've seen lotsa guys go through it, young and old. Never Eller though, no matter how badly he plays. And the same can be said of others.

I'm really curious to know what guys like Mantha do to get dogshit deployments pretty much all year long. You have to dig a little, but his actual numbers and metrics are pretty good despite being handcuffed

Even if it's purely an effort thing, getting Maximum Effort (
mllbEWB.png
) from guys like Eller and Hagelin that rewards them with limitless opportunity but doesn't amount to much is how much better than maybe getting less oomph from Mantha that DOES pay off?

It's an apples/oranges comparison, I know, weighing defensive forwards against offensive ones, but I sometimes wonder who we're really punishing with decisions like these...

Feels like a "cutting your nose off to spite your face" kind of situation to me.

Reactions: Hivemind

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I just wonder how it works behind the scenes. Lavi clearly has a doghouse cuz we've seen lotsa guys go through it, young and old. Never Eller though, no matter how badly he plays. And the same can be said of others.

I'm really curious to know what guys like Mantha do to get dogshit deployments pretty much all year long. You have to dig a little, but his actual numbers and metrics are pretty good despite being handcuffed

mllbEWB.png
) from guys like Eller and Hagelin that rewards them with limitless opportunity but doesn't amount to much is how much better than maybe getting less oomph from Mantha that DOES pay off?

It's an apples/oranges comparison, I know, weighing defensive forwards against offensive ones, but I sometimes wonder who we're really punishing with decisions like these...

Feels like a "cutting your nose off to spite your face" kind of situation to me.
Probably more for the Roster thread but I’ll bite here.

I think with Mantha in particular, it was clear that Wilson and Backstrom (and Oshie) were coming back and we needed to find a spot for Mantha who had been playing 2RW and 3RW which are good spots for him. Want to keep him in the lineup so he gets auditioned at 4LW and he fumbled it.

I think Lavi really priorities the 4th line. If you can’t play there, and be up and down the lineup, it’s a pet peeve of his. NAK could do it. Sheary could do it. Milano may have to do it Next. Same with Mojo.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

mllbEWB.png

100%. People love to fixate on effort (and there's a whole second conversation to be had about how a player's skating stride effects the perception of whether or not they're giving effort), and effort matters. But so does overall effectiveness. It takes more than just effort to make a team win, otherwise guys like Quintin Laing and Andrew Gordon would have been Washington Capitals Greats instead of Hershey Bears Notables.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad