Confirmed with Link: [NSH/TOR] Franson and Santorelli for Jokinen, Leipsic, 1st Pt. II

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
All of Chicago's d-men except Oduya saw significant time in the NHL by 23. Same with Detroit, except Ericsson who took until 24. And some of those Detroit players like Ericsson were only held back because the team was a contender with tons of depth and hard to break into - not the case with these Leafs.

If Granberg and Loov aren't ready for NHL duty on this team next year then they probably just aren't talented enough to ever make it. Either way, if you have to sign someone, you get someone cheaper and shorter term than Franson.

My point isn't that they don't bring up young players, my point is that when they bring up young players they are supported by veterans who have some skill.

Polak and Robidas can barely support themselves. Throwing six young defenders out there is a recipe for broken spirits and confidence. That doesn't help young players find their potential.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
What about signing Franson, hoping he turns in another 1st round worthy year for next year's trade deadline, and trading him again?

If he absorbs minutes, shields development and yields another 1st or 2nd round pick...That's a scenario we should eagerly receive.

Cody Franson: The gift that keeps on giving.

:cheers:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
What about signing Franson, hoping he turns in another 1st round worthy year for next year's trade deadline, and trading him again?

If he absorbs minutes, shields development and yields another 1st or 2nd round pick...That's a scenario we should eagerly receive.

Cody Franson: The gift that keeps on giving.

:cheers:

Poor guy never got the proper chance to flourish in Nashville though. IIRC, he wasn't even a part of the PP! I'm surprised the GM would make such a big move and have his coach do something like this.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Maybe there was a disconnect between coach and GM? Doesn't really matter, does it.

I take back franson any day on a one year deal. I'd be happy to see as many 1 year deals as possible. Gain whatever assets we can by dealing the guys who perform at the deadline, like we did this year.

It's a weird thing - half the time, the commentary says that playing on the leafs supposedly makes players look way better than they are (franson, santo, bozak). Half the time the commentary says that playing on the leafs makes players look way worse than they are (phaneuf, kessel).

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Re signing Franson.

For $5M at 4 years(and Phaneuff gonzo) sure with the understanding if we suck, he may going to a playoff team again.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Agreed, the NHL is not a place to develop players. You should know how to play the game before you lace em up for the big team.

there is a reason players primes are considered to start 5-6 years into there NHL careers, and not as a rookie, because they still need alot of development before they become the best player they can be, are you telling me Rielly isn't developing his game right now?

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
For $5M at 4 years(and Phaneuff gonzo) sure with the understanding if we suck, he may going to a playoff team again.

Franson shouldn't get 5 a year. That's a desperate team not waiting long enough. Market should bear a waiting game on Franson. Stranger things I suppose...

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
No thanks to Franson resigning. Bad defensively and overrated offensively. How many PP goals has he scored in the past couple of years?

Santa, perhaps if he comes cheap but I reckon he wants to cash in on his last couple of productive seasons. Would not mind Winnik back.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Dion goes you need a guy like Franson. He is worth probably up to 4.2-4.5m and a 4-5 year term. We know how he needs to be used to put up points.

Santa I would give 2m maybe 2.5m on 3 years.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im fine with Franson so long as we move Dion. We need some vets on the blueline. Polak only has one more year, and Robidad is injured too often.

Cody actually appeared to care about the Leafs and at least tried. It wasnt always good, but he tried.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Im fine with Franson so long as we move Dion. We need some vets on the blueline. Polak only has one more year, and Robidad is injured too often.

Cody actually appeared to care about the Leafs and at least tried. It wasnt always good, but he tried.

Standards have gotten unacceptably low around here.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

I'd give Franson max a three year deal worth $4 million. If he doesn't take it then I show him the door.

I don't see the value investing time and energy into an immobile defenseman. He went from dog-house to everyone's favorite defenseman after a good start to the season. It's amazing that people forgot how upset they were when Franson didn't get traded for Gorges

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Standards have gotten unacceptably low around here.

We're going to be a bad team for the next couple years at least. I'd rather a vet take some minutes then Rielly/Percy/Loov/Granberg etc get pummeled night after night.

Theres a limit to the price tag, of course, but a reasonable contract for Franson im OK with.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Franson wasn't that bad for the Leafs. When you look at a team with a forward group that rarely back checked, refused to take a hit to get the puck out and a first line centre that should be a third you are relying on and people like to blame the defence.

Our defence had issues but the team had issues, no matter which d-man you stick back there they will have difficulty dealing with an NHL forward and sometimes two or three all on their own. Look at the speed other teams entered the Tor zone, how our forwards were incapable of dealing with cycling teams and than look at your team. To say Cody was the problem is absurd, he can play and under five mill over 4-5 years along with Polak is the veteran leadership we need. I would take Brewer back as well as a 7th. Chances are he goes elsewhere.

Fans on this board simply don't take the team in context and all it becomes is an axe grinding exercise, the story gets tiresome.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We're going to be a bad team for the next couple years at least. I'd rather a vet take some minutes then Rielly/Percy/Loov/Granberg etc get pummeled night after night.

Theres a limit to the price tag, of course, but a reasonable contract for Franson im OK with.

There's a limit to how bad you can be on D and still grow a team. I don't believe in icing a bottom feeder at the cost of morale.

Transitioning will take risks. We will have to eat some bad contracts to make this work ie. Semin as part of a Kessel trade. We may need to attempt to salvage players who were once considered talents. It may not pan out and admittedly there is a level of crossing your fingers for the now and keep developing in the minors and AHL. We may need to even package some lesser prospects who we don't see in our future with other guys to get where we need to go.

We need a team that is NHL capable of 80+ pts on the season. This 50-60s stuff probably makes guys want to puke in disgust.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Franson wasn't that bad for the Leafs. When you look at a team with a forward group that rarely back checked, refused to take a hit to get the puck out and a first line centre that should be a third you are relying on and people like to blame the defence.

Our defence had issues but the team had issues, no matter which d-man you stick back there they will have difficulty dealing with an NHL forward and sometimes two or three all on their own. Look at the speed other teams entered the Tor zone, how our forwards were incapable of dealing with cycling teams and than look at your team. To say Cody was the problem is absurd, he can play and under five mill over 4-5 years along with Polak is the veteran leadership we need. I would take Brewer back as well as a 7th. Chances are he goes elsewhere.

Fans on this board simply don't take the team in context and all it becomes is an axe grinding exercise, the story gets tiresome.

For 3years I have blamed the forwards for most of our defensive woes. People around here have blamed Dion and Reimer etc. Its pretty obvious really, the top line is not NHL capable defensively. The 2nd line this past year was not even a legit 2nd line save for Kadri.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I thought it was weird Nashville adding Franson to such a strong D core, I wasnt surprised he didnt play much - Nashville needed scoring - papa Phil would have done well for them, though not sure what roster piece that would have taken

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad