Rumor: [NSH] Predators to Sign Tolvanen

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Eeli Tolvanen has confirmed that he is signing with Preds once Jokerit is eliminated from playoffs.

According to Aivis Kalinin Twitter. Finnish Reporter. Can’t do it properly on this device.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know or care if he can do anything right away, but it'll just be so cool to have him hanging around the team. Next year is his real time to shine IMO. Anything this year is just gravy.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
would it burn an elc year though?
Depends on how many games he ended up playing. I'd be ok with it either way. I'm sure the default stance for the Preds would be that they aren't expecting fireworks right away and he's more of a Black Ace at this point, so 10 games might not happen and they preserve the ELC year. But he'll get SOME games. If he makes it impossible to take him out with his showing, then I also don't think they'd bat an eyelid at playing him more and burning the ELC year.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Depends on how many games he ended up playing. I'd be ok with it either way. I'm sure the default stance for the Preds would be that they aren't expecting fireworks right away and he's more of a Black Ace at this point, so 10 games might not happen and they preserve the ELC year. But he'll get SOME games. If he makes it impossible to take him out with his showing, then I also don't think they'd bat an eyelid at playing him more and burning the ELC year.
As a soft Preds fan I hope Jokerit has a long playoff stint, ensuring he plays 9 or fewer games this season.

With Seattle all but confirmed, with a tentative start date of 2020-21, that means the next expansion draft will likely be in June 2020.

If Tolvanen burns a year this year playing 10 games, and then next season passes, and then 2019-20 comes, that'll put him over the threshold for GP and he'd be vulnerable in the expansion draft - all for 10 games in a year where NSH already has what it takes to win it, without a player like him.

But if this year slides and he officially kicks things off next year and then plays 2019-20, that puts him at 2 years exp and exempt from the expansion.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think initially the best place he will contribute will be the PP. you absolutely have to respect his one timer and his passing is very good as well. Excited to see him play in Nashville.

Go Sochi

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Honestly burning an ELC year might be a good move here. If you're confident he's going to be a top line player in a year or two, better to have his RFA contract year be at age 21 than 22. If he doesn't play 40 games I don't think it impacts his time to UFA either.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck
Feb 24, 2017
As a soft Preds fan I hope Jokerit has a long playoff stint, ensuring he plays 9 or fewer games this season.

With Seattle all but confirmed, with a tentative start date of 2020-21, that means the next expansion draft will likely be in June 2020.

If Tolvanen burns a year this year playing 10 games, and then next season passes, and then 2019-20 comes, that'll put him over the threshold for GP and he'd be vulnerable in the expansion draft - all for 10 games in a year where NSH already has what it takes to win it, without a player like him.

But if this year slides and he officially kicks things off next year and then plays 2019-20, that puts him at 2 years exp and exempt from the expansion.
Please stop thinking like this. Nothing is more important than Stanley. If he helps your chances, you play him. You do not leave championships to chance. Ask Dan Marino if you ever meet him if he was worried about not making it back.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If the signing happens, would this be in any way connected to why they cut loose on Aberg? Someone with Preds contract situation knowledge chime in.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Please stop thinking like this. Nothing is more important than Stanley. If he helps your chances, you play him. You do not leave championships to chance. Ask Dan Marino if you ever meet him if he was worried about not making it back.

"Stanley" will sought after in '20 as well. This is a very good reason to not play him. Its shit like this that get teams into trouble. Being entirely shortsighted.

Reactions: uncleben85

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad