Value of: (NSH/PIT) Nick Bonino back to the Penguins

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If we're out by the deadline and still haven't fired Laviolette I'd want a first. He's playing great hockey and has an extra year after this one so he's not a complete rental.

If we're not out or we do fire Laviolette and his assistants then Granlund, Smith and Turris would move before we move Bonino.

Reactions: Gh24 and NNCbama

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
If we're out by the deadline and still haven't fired Laviolette I'd want a first. He's playing great hockey and has an extra year after this one so he's not a complete rental.

If we're not out or we do fire Laviolette and his assistants then Granlund, Smith and Turris would move before we move Bonino.

We could get Pageau cheaper.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
One of the few players on the roster currently earning his contract and showing game-in, game-out leadership. I'd rather just keep him and explore trades for other players. Definitely not worth taking back a salary dump and some throw-ins for.

Reactions: Gh24 and NNCbama

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No. That ship sailed long ago. That said, I would do a 1:1 for Bjugstad or Chucky but why would Nashville?

Bottom line, I'm not spending assets on Nick Bonino. He's 31, he's slow, and he's signed to more than he's ultimately worth. He's the opposite of what the Penguins should be targeting at this point. Like I said, a 1:1 for Bjugs or Chucky would certainly be great but I'm not spending anything to reacquire him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No. That ship sailed long ago. That said, I would do a 1:1 for Bjugstad or Chucky but why would Nashville?

Bottom line, I'm not spending assets on Nick Bonino. He's 31, he's slow, and he's signed to more than he's ultimately worth. He's the opposite of what the Penguins should be targeting at this point. Like I said, a 1:1 for Bjugs or Chucky would certainly be great but I'm not spending anything to reacquire him.

Nashville fans are about to school your take.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

He's only making 4.1, that's really not that much for what he brings, especially with how he's been playing this year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He's only making 4.1, that's really not that much for what he brings, especially with how he's been playing this year.
He won me over, anyway. First year, the 4.1 seemed a tad high, but we were sooooo desperate. But Years 2 and 3 he has been great, definitely worth the price. If he's slow, he does a good job of hiding it - he's efficient and intelligent so it's really not ever about speed with him. I'd be really happy entering next season with him as our #3 center - and confident he could step up at times as #2 also, if we ever got into a real bad injury crisis.

Right now, I don't think I'd even take a 1st for him. He's one of the last remaining fibres of fraying rope keeping our team from sinking beneath the waves for this season. Maybe in 6 or 8 weeks when we've given up all hope for this year and next as well, then a 1st would be ok. But I'm not exactly going around asking other teams to offer that. Just it would be the bare minimum draft pick value that might conceivably catch my attention when the time comes - if the time comes. Not today.

Reactions: Armourboy

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He won me over, anyway. First year, the 4.1 seemed a tad high, but we were sooooo desperate. But Years 2 and 3 he has been great, definitely worth the price. If he's slow, he does a good job of hiding it - he's efficient and intelligent so it's really not ever about speed with him. I'd be really happy entering next season with him as our #3 center - and confident he could step up at times as #2 also, if we ever got into a real bad injury crisis.

Right now, I don't think I'd even take a 1st for him. He's one of the last remaining fibres of fraying rope keeping our team from sinking beneath the waves for this season. Maybe in 6 or 8 weeks when we've given up all hope for this year and next as well, then a 1st would be ok. But I'm not exactly going around asking other teams to offer that. Just it would be the bare minimum draft pick value that might conceivably catch my attention when the time comes - if the time comes. Not today.

Yeah, if we're behind LA come deadline time there's no shame in getting a first for him.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Who cares how Bonino is playing at this point in the season. You are paying for future production the rest of the season. The guy is 31 and is what he is (14-18 goals and 35 points). I don't want to pay $4.1 million a year for that. Personally rather find a player in the 24-28 age range. It is never a good idea to bring back the band.

I want to keep the speed going. I want whoever we add to keep with the team speed style of play. I didn't want to pay Bonino $4.1 million then when we could of signed him without giving up a pick and now some want to give a 1st for that contract. Hard pass for me.

cspera777

Jul 6, 2018
Who cares how Bonino is playing at this point in the season. You are paying for future production the rest of the season. The guy is 31 and is what he is (14-18 goals and 35 points). I don't want to pay $4.1 million a year for that. Personally rather find a player in the 24-28 age range. It is never a good idea to bring back the band.

I want to keep the speed going. I want whoever we add to keep with the team speed style of play. I didn't want to pay Bonino $4.1 million then when we could of signed him without giving up a pick and now some want to give a 1st for that contract. Hard pass for me.
I agree, no way is Bonino worth a 1st. Not in any lifetime. One guy I would go after who I have always been a fan of and would look good on this roster is Michael Grabner, though I doubt ARZ would give him up

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I agree, no way is Bonino worth a 1st. Not in any lifetime. One guy I would go after who I have always been a fan of and would look good on this roster is Michael Grabner, though I doubt ARZ would give him up

Teams trade 1sts for players like Bonino every deadline. He's not discernibly better or worse than Kevin Hayes, Tomas Tatar, Paul Stastny, or Ryan Hartman when they were traded for 1sts.

Contenders are going to want a top penalty killer who is scoring goals and can slot in as the no.2 center when injuries strike in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs. It happens every year.

If we wanted to move him Bonino is going to get a first, is that first going to be in the lottery? No, but he is still worth a 1st this year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Teams trade 1sts for players like Bonino every deadline. He's not discernibly better or worse than Kevin Hayes, Tomas Tatar, Paul Stastny, or Ryan Hartman when they were traded for 1sts.

Contenders are going to want a top penalty killer who is scoring goals and can slot in as the no.2 center when injuries strike in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs. It happens every year.

If we wanted to move him Bonino is going to get a first, is that first going to be in the lottery? No, but he is still worth a 1st this year.
Or Paul Gaustad. :facepalm:

Teams do it. I don't really expect a lot of fans go around hoping for it to happen, however.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014

I agree, it's such a stupid concept to value players with one year left at their current level of play. :sarcasm:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Especially if we're also having to take a salary dump contract back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad