Proposal: NSH + LA

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Do you feel as though Spence is similar to Byfield/Clarke?

As far as Ceiling yes I would put Spence's ceiling up there with Clarke, however Clarke has a safer floor.

I do not want to deal spence but also feel LA would need to add for Askarov. Point is Spence is a "blue chip" prospect, whatever that really means.

Reactions: KingsOfThe805

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think comparing him to Byfield is apples to oranges, and it's also delusional to think Askarov would net a guy like Byfield (no matter how you feel about him, I'm not the biggest Byfield fan), goalies just aren't worth that much. I think Spence is closer to Clarke than people here will believe.

I don't think it's delusional to want a top prospect for our best prospect. Askarov is a top 3 goalie prospect in the world, does that mean he's a lock to be elite? No, but his value is very high for us.

Reactions: KingsOfThe805

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i don't see anything in OP that would tempt Poile to move Askarov

interesting week ,with posters trying to poach high-end goalie prospects,
already seen this, a Levi and a Cossa this week ...

when a team has high-upside Goalie prospect, unless they get an unignorably huge return, or precise fit to a pressing need, they rarely move that G, before finding out what they have

Reactions: YP44

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
As far as Ceiling yes I would put Spence's ceiling up there with Clarke, however Clarke has a safer floor.

I do not want to deal spence but also feel LA would need to add for Askarov. Point is Spence is a "blue chip" prospect, whatever that really means.

I'd want someone with a higher ceiling than Spence if I'm moving Askarov. Spence reminds me of Sam Girard, he kind of came out of nowhere with a fast start, not the biggest player, I wouldn't have called him a blue chip prospect.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Anyway, we already have Spence-like and Kupari-like prospects in our pipeline, and they aren't any particular need for us. Whereas Askarov's timeline is just about perfect for us and we have no other goalie prospect. To get Askarov you'd have to offer us something that was an identifiable major need for us, not just some general swap of redundant futures just for the sake of it. Which the OP tried to do, except vastly overrated our "need" for a RD. Getting Askarov would require a huge overpay, which is why folks are essentially saying "don't bother" here.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Neutral fan here, these 2 just seem like good trading partners with one team need more quality RHD and the other needing LHD. Not sure what the cap considerations would be long term for either side but would like to hear both fan's comments

To LA:
Ekholm
Askarov

To NSH:
Roy
Spence
Kupari

At least as a base. Seems to fill both team's needs from trading from a position of strength.
Nashville should reject this proposal. It’s unbalanced in LAs favor.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I don’t believe the cap would work for LA as Ekholm’s contract would put LA over the cap.

I wouldn’t do this deal from either POV.

Ekholm is an important defender to Nashville’s blueline and Askarov is a blue chip goaltending prospect, the Preds also lost Connor Ingram to waivers so the goaltending pipeline is bare with nothing else to speak of outside of Askarov, Cooley and Vomacka.

The Kings shouldn’t be adding anymore cap until they can clear some cap off the books like the remaining year of Dion Phaneuf’s buyout, the final season of Jonathan Quick’s contract and a few other expiring deals.

The Kings can afford to be patient this season as Spence and Kupari times will come the Kings will have a need to clear cap space and roster spots for younger players such as Spence and Kupari for next season and beyond.

It’s my understanding that the Kings are looking for a prospect goalie but they may have a college late bloomer and one of the best kept secrets in Slovakian goaltender David Hrenak.

Hrenak is a smaller goalie but was rather impressive coming out of St. Cloud State at the end of last season although Hrenak did get lit up in 1 AHL playoff game, with a full AHL season of development it should be interesting to see where Hrenak stands in the Kings goaltender pecking order at the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad