Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That would be counterproductive at best. There are very few players we'd trade Josi for, Marner isn't one of them.

I still think it's crazy how it seems like most Toronto fans don't want Saros, he'd easily be the best goalie they've had since, Andersen? Belfour?

He's also about to be 30, allegedly looking for a big money 8 year deal. In today's NHL seems more than a bit frisky to bet so big on a vet goalie.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I have skimmed the posts in this thread and couldn't see it, but I have to think someone suggested it and then both sides shot it down:

Is Askarov untouchable from Nashville or was he seen as not enough by Leafs fans?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Uhh Demko makes 5 million, and if you think Skinner is "carrying" a team with 2 players better than prime playoff Crosby and Ovechkin, you might be a bit off on your goalie evaluations. If you really think Skinner or Silovs type situation is viable for the Leafs given the rest of the roster more power to you I guess.

I don't see how you have so many untouchables for a forward who has broken your franchise points in a season record 3 times, was 1 point behind it this year, and is good defensively on top of his offense and has better playoff PPG than Filip Forsberg if you are in fact looking for a star forward. There really isn't anyone else on Marner's level available now or most years.

If the Leafs want to win a cup, they're going to have to find a Skinner-type situation, or a Demko or Shesterkin-type situation.... Not a $7m+ plus Saros situation..

You need get a guy on a contract with a few RFA years built in, potentially before he's fully established, and have him get established under your control / contract.

Woll seemingly has the potential to do so. Hildeby might as well. Saros is too old, too experienced, and has too long of a resume to get paid in competition with those guys.

If you can't do that, go out and sign a Cam Talbot for $2m... and spend the money infront of the goaltending.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I have skimmed the posts in this thread and couldn't see it, but I have to think someone suggested it and then both sides shot it down:

Is Askarov untouchable from Nashville or was he seen as not enough by Leafs fans?

He is the best goalie not in the NHL. MM is one year away from UFA. This factors into his return.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He is the best goalie not in the NHL. MM is one year away from UFA. This factors into his return.
Any trade onf Marner will be with an extension on place which factors into the return also. The best goalie outside the NHL is a factor too as is the fact that goalie valuing is tricky business.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I don't think these teams are a fit for a trade. regardless of how excruciating it is watching mm in the playoffs, I don't want a goalie back for him. We'd need a legit top 6 forward + another asset. I don't really see it with the Preds.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I don't think Askarov is untouchable at all. But like with Saros, one of these guys is basically the Preds' single best chance at addressing their area of biggest need... which they likely identify as more of a #1C - which can include prospect or draft pick candidates for this role. Askarov isn't ready for the NHL, he's not going to solve anything for the Leafs in the near term future. He'd just be an insurance policy against Woll in 2-3 years.

Meanwhile, Marner represents more of a "nice to have" for the Preds - a great player, just as a softer and very expensive winger he's not the prime area of need for the Preds. He'd be a great pickup as a UFA, but I don't see him as the one star player the Preds torpedo their goaltending depth for.

A lot would depend on where the market sits on Marner, and where he wants to go himself since he has total control. Those unknowns mean the error bars on his trade value are extremely wide atm. I don't see the Preds going overboard chasing Marner if the price is at the higher end of the range.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Toronto is not getting Askarov back. Not a chance. If Toronto is trading Marner its for space. The return isnt going to wow.
Space is only good if you can put it to good use. Using that space to build your team in free agency is how you get into trouble.

Toronto is going to want either Saros (I think trading for a goalie is awful idea IMO), or they are going to want players ready to play now from the roster. I don't even think Askarov is something Toronto looks at.

I do not see Toronto going down the picks and prospect root, they are going to want a good proven player now, 1st and probably another solid player.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Space is only good if you can put it to good use. Using that space to build your team in free agency is how you get into trouble.

Toronto is going to want either Saros (I think trading for a goalie is awful idea IMO), or they are going to want players ready to play now from the roster. I don't even think Askarov is something Toronto looks at.

I do not see Toronto going down the picks and prospect root, they are going to want a good proven player now, 1st and probably another solid player.

This.

They're not going to get a 90+ point replacement, but they do need to get at least 1 bonafide "top half of the lineup" player with a good contract situation, and most likely a "middle of the lineup" player, along with a bit of future capital.

Translating that, you're looking for:

- A top 6 forward with a good contractual situation, or top 3 defenceman.
- A 2nd/3rd line forward, or #3/4 defenceman.
- Pick or Prospect

And within that, you've also gotta consider needs. Leafs are almost certainly looking for right shots with size in any defenceman they acquire, and I don't think they're all that interested in Luke Schenn at that money.

Up front, to fill that #1 criteria, realistically the only potential fit i see is Tommy Novak.

For the second criteria, guys like Sissons, Glass, or Evangelista might be options.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Can someone answer why Nashville would spend a stupid amount of money clearing the cancer outta the room by paying RyJo and Duchene to not play for them, just to turn around and burn both assets and money on Marner?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Because Toronto wants to break up their big three? They have 40% of their cap tied up between them, 50% when you include Tavares.

Nashville isn't even thinking about moving Josi, it's a non starter.

Wrong, if Toronto won any cups or even got close they wouldn’t want to make any trades like this

The Leafs have t had success in the playoffs. And neither has nashville

That’s why

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I don't think Askarov is untouchable at all. But like with Saros, one of these guys is basically the Preds' single best chance at addressing their area of biggest need... which they likely identify as more of a #1C - which can include prospect or draft pick candidates for this role. Askarov isn't ready for the NHL, he's not going to solve anything for the Leafs in the near term future. He'd just be an insurance policy against Woll in 2-3 years.

Meanwhile, Marner represents more of a "nice to have" for the Preds - a great player, just as a softer and very expensive winger he's not the prime area of need for the Preds. He'd be a great pickup as a UFA, but I don't see him as the one star player the Preds torpedo their goaltending depth for.

A lot would depend on where the market sits on Marner, and where he wants to go himself since he has total control. Those unknowns mean the error bars on his trade value are extremely wide atm. I don't see the Preds going overboard chasing Marner if the price is at the higher end of the range.
Thanks very much. I can't speak to the Preds needs and the fit from their end but as a Leafs fan. I could be Ok with Askarov being a big part of the return we get for Marner. The return would also be $11M in cap space for us. We could turn that into Free Agents to address our D and now the return is (say) Roy, Tanev, Askarov and whatever else comes back from Nashville..

Again, I appreciate this doesn't seem to work for Nashville and I also am sure fellow Leafs fans may disagree with me also. I guess I just wondered if Askarov was untouchable as I don't like the Saros return for Marner

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Thanks very much. I can't speak to the Preds needs and the fit from their end but as a Leafs fan. I could be Ok with Askarov being a big part of the return we get for Marner. The return would also be $11M in cap space for us. We could turn that into Free Agents to address our D and now the return is (say) Roy, Tanev, Askarov and whatever else comes back from Nashville..

Again, I appreciate this doesn't seem to work for Nashville and I also am sure fellow Leafs fans may disagree with me also. I guess I just wondered if Askarov was untouchable as I don't like the Saros return for Marner
Part of the return? If a team is dumb enough to give up a goalie prospect that good, for the privilege of paying Marner 8 figures (and either lose him to UFA or re-sign him to a horrible contract) I take that deal and run

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Better sure, but paying him $12m is a bigger overpayment than what Duchene was signed to. And they both have that loser stink on them
So did Eichel to some people. And there is a good chance Toronto retains or takes back a bad contract.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
So did Eichel to some people. And there is a good chance Toronto retains or takes back a bad contract.
Eichel is cheaper and plays a more valuable position than Marner. He also hadn't been a playoff disappointment because he never played in the playoffs

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Eichel is cheaper and plays a more valuable position than Marner. He also hadn't been a playoff disappointment because he never played in the playoffs
He also had the mysterious neck injury. There were a lot of people who wanted nothing to do with him when he asked out of Buffalo.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He also had the mysterious neck injury. There were a lot of people who wanted nothing to do with him when he asked out of Buffalo.
For better or worse he was an unknown. A gamble.

The whole world knows what Marner is

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
For better or worse he was an unknown. A gamble.

The whole world knows what Marner is
We don’t know what he is outside of Toronto - that place is genuinely a pressure cooker and dysfunctional as hell. His value is as low as it will ever be, so now’s the time to gamble on him.

My question is about the $$. Doesn’t Nashville have like $12M in dead cap still?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
We don’t know what he is outside of Toronto - that place is genuinely a pressure cooker and dysfunctional as hell. His value is as low as it will ever be, so now’s the time to gamble on him.

My question is about the $$. Doesn’t Nashville have like $12M in dead cap still?
Nah I don't think that warrants a pass. He brought that pressure on himself by bending over the team as an RFA.

Nashville has a lot of dead cap but an otherwise cheap roster. They could add a Marner cap hit, but I don't see why they'd want Marner in particular

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad