Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
As was pointed out Saros has not won a playoff series. And as to Marner being a two way player I do not agree, as do many of the Leaf fans. There is no doubt Trotz likes that two way guy. Marner is far more offensive but he likes feed others than score on his own. Earlier in this thread a Pred fan compared him to Johansen and that is probably pretty accurate. His numbers have been better than RJ’s ever were, there is argument that he has played with more talent than RJ ever has . As a fan I like Marner and would like to see him here. But realistically taking that cap hit that is coming with him is questionable. I have never been a Saros fan really and think he has been over rated since taking the net from Rinne . Until the end Rinne was a stable goalie that rarely got blown out. Saros has been streaky have a dozen amazing games followed by some real stinkers. Saros value was at its highest prior to the start of this season. Now needing a new contract . This should create caution from teams looking at him especially the Leafs who have been burned by goalies they have signed over the last few years. The Leafs having defensive issues as well because of the cost of the core. That’s the main reason for moving Mitch in the first place. If Nashville had a guy that had 100 points it would be very unpopular to even suggest trading them. To disagree with that is just a untruth. There have been 40 to 50 point players that people overvalued so much they made it sound they were irreplaceable Craig Smith and Colin Wilson come to mind even Jarnkrok. Because these guys played in the top 6 here did not mean they needed to be upgraded on. The looming problem now is the aging defense you remove Josi and Mac this team collapses you might as well have Chris Mason in net then. I’m sure Trotz has a plan I am equally sure he was more than pleased at the way this year turned out. But I am equally as sure that in 4 years this will be a totally different team. I would like to see this rebuild completed but unless it’s next year guess I’m not going to see it. I still think that the Leafs and Preds could make some moves to improve each other but don’t feel Marner or Saros are part of it.
So if marner isn’t a good 2 way player could you explain to me how he was selke finalist last year? Im sure they don’t make players a selke finalist because they are only good offensive players hence the selke award going to the best defensive forward. As far as saros not winning a playoff series. Blaming him when he has 2.45 ga and .911 save percentage in the playoffs is like blaming McDavid for them not winning the cup yet. Forget the fact that he has 96 points in 60 playoff games. You must forget that it’s a team sport and it takes the whole team to win and when you’re not getting the goal support you don’t win many playoff series

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the Leafs would be foolish to move Marner in a one-for-one deal because he's going to leave a pretty significant hole in their roster when he's gone.

That trade has to make sense from a depth perspective as well a long-term financial perspective.

I don't like the fits for them in Nashville. Saros, while a big name, just doesn't make a lot of sense with the impending extension likely in the high 9s. They're still a team with some questions when it comes to team defense. A star goaltender won't solve that.

I think Toronto should target Seattle if they're moving Marner and see if they can shake loose Shane Wright.

Something like Burakovsky, Wright and Ty Nelson for Marner?

I'm not sure if Seattle considers the value. But a trade like that gives Toronto a top six option (that Seattle would happily move on from), it gives the Leafs a couple higher end prospects close to being NHL ready and they'll have the flexibility to address other areas of the roster with the cap difference.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
So if marner isn’t a good 2 way player could you explain to me how he was selke finalist last year? Im sure they don’t make players a selke finalist because they are only good offensive players hence the selke award going to the best defensive forward. As far as saros not winning a playoff series. Blaming him when he has 2.45 ga and .911 save percentage in the playoffs is like blaming McDavid for them not winning the cup yet. Forget the fact that he has 96 points in 60 playoff games. You must forget that it’s a team sport and it takes the whole team to win and when you’re not getting the goal support you don’t win many playoff series
The same mannervthatvAnthoney Cirelli has been a Selkie finalist in the past. Except Cirelli is primarily a defensive forward. A 40 point guy that is good defensively is not going to win that award. Marner is more point oriented. The majority see that award leaning more to the defensive forward. The reality is if you go back it is guts that have sounded game. Barkov is a good example, Bergeron was another . Legwand should have won one in his time but we needed more scoring from him. I like Marner I do and on the other hand I do not see players he could be matched with here currently where he would excel. Making him the highest paid forward on this roster would be a mistake. He would be on the 2nd line on an island alone. Because there would not be cap left for the type players he needs to continue putting up 100 points. He’s just not going to pit 60 goals like Mathew’s and have 40 assts. If he were on the roster at 7 mil you could go out and get him a linemates and put one of our young guys with them and you could have something.

As for Saros save percentage and goals against are just two stats the thing that matters is wins and wins in big situations. Like what Rinne did the year they lost in the finals. It’s probably not fair comparing him to Pekka but it’s hard not to do so. It is likely we have seen the best Saros and it has not been enough to be successful in the playoffs. It will not be long before it’s retirement time for him. The question is does he get a raise for four years to bring the kid along or does Trotz trade hime now while there is still some value left in him. Get a cheaper option veteran to platoon. Not sure what Trotz will do but Trotz did go thru the mess after Vokyvwas traded . Time will tell. The direction Trotz goes is up in the air. It it’s hard to imagine if he could get a near ready player and a pick he probably does it.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I think Toronto should target Seattle if they're moving Marner and see if they can shake loose Shane Wright.

Something like Burakovsky, Wright and Ty Nelson for Marner?

I'm not sure if Seattle considers the value. But a trade like that gives Toronto a top six option (that Seattle would happily move on from), it gives the Leafs a couple higher end prospects close to being NHL ready and they'll have the flexibility to address other areas of the roster with the cap difference.
Toronto should not trade their dollar bill for 1 quarter and 2 dimes.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Saros + Tomasino + 1 of Wood/Molendyk/Kemell/Svechkov/2024 1st rounder/L'Heureux

No extensions for either Saaros or Marner (preds can speak to marner before trade and try to extend him)

The third asset the preds can choose whichever one they would be open to dealing

That is the type of value/offer I would want and see as fair for marner if we deal him and there is a market of bidders he will waive his NMC too
So your’re saying Saros + (~27) + (~18). You’re out to lunch.

Edit: also talking to the guy only adds real value if you talk an extension at lower than market rate. I.e. a team might be willing to sign Marner for $12M, but you aren’t going to get a whole lot for that right

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Saros + Tomasino + 1 of Wood/Molendyk/Kemell/Svechkov/2024 1st rounder/L'Heureux

No extensions for either Saaros or Marner (preds can speak to marner before trade and try to extend him)

The third asset the preds can choose whichever one they would be open to dealing

That is the type of value/offer I would want and see as fair for marner if we deal him and there is a market of bidders he will waive his NMC too
I dont think we would have L'Heureux, Molendyk, or Svechkov available.

Traded up in the draft specifically for L'Heureux and he is developing wonderfully.

Nashville is really short on good defensive prospects and Molendyk is gonna make a NHL impact in the next season or two. He barely didn't make the team out of camp last season.

Svechkov is developing well and probably doesn't have the highest ceiling but Nashville’s center situation is untenable. Probably could be had if we found a way to bring in a different center prospect in a separate trade but we have very little going on in terms of center prospects and the current NHL centers aren't particularly thrilling.

Wood, Kemell, and I would say 2024 1st would be up for grabs.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Don't think Saros would be the right target. From Nashville it would have to be Kemell + Novak + Fabbro + 2024 1st for Marner + Liljegren. Basically Marner for Kemell + Novak + 2024 1st and Liljegren for Fabbro.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Don't think Saros would be the right target. From Nashville it would have to be Kemell + Novak + Fabbro + 2024 1st for Marner + Liljegren. Basically Marner for Kemell + Novak + 2024 1st and Liljegren for Fabbro.
Why would Nashville give up so much for a player that’s a rental? It’s more likely TO has to either take back similar money in contracts, plus retain or (if they are hoping to clear all Marner’s cap) to get little of actual value in return.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yes, but if you trade a dollar for $0.45 then you have $0.55 left to spend on free agents and this would need to be factored in to any trade. Say Wright + Oleksiak + $5M in cap space (Roy or Tanev). I feel like Marner for Wright, Oleksiak and Roy would be a trade that made the Leafs better and the fans happy.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Why would Nashville give up so much for a player that’s a rental? It’s more likely TO has to either take back similar money in contracts, plus retain or (if they are hoping to clear all Marner’s cap) to get little of actual value in return.
I suppose, worst case scenario, they could retain 50% and flip him at the deadline if he doesn't pan out and doesn't want to extend to recoup some assets

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Toronto should look at their roster and realize that they weren't just one player away this season.

Trading Marner is a sign that the current makeup of that roster needs to change. Trading him for a player that's going to take the same amount of cap to re-sign doesn't accomplish anything for Toronto. They'd still be in the same situation.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Toronto is not getting Askarov back. Not a chance. If Toronto is trading Marner its for space. The return isnt going to wow.

What are you talking about, they'd be trading him to shake up the dynamic and core of the team.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Pick a controversial player on a popular team.... link said player to another team with vague words such as "shown interest"

Watch the hits come in.

Reactions: Givememoneyback

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
What are you talking about, they'd be trading him to shake up the dynamic and core of the team.
So you think they would jump right back in and pay another winger that money if it shakes up the core?

Go grab Gaudreau or Laine and shake up the core.

They have 4 of the highest 9 paid forwards in the league. The cap needs to be allocated better. They need room.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Cause Toronto will give you Marner? 🤷‍♂️

That would be counterproductive at best. There are very few players we'd trade Josi for, Marner isn't one of them.

I still think it's crazy how it seems like most Toronto fans don't want Saros, he'd easily be the best goalie they've had since, Andersen? Belfour?

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
No, they need to plug at least one hole.
In a perfect world, they plug 2.
But there's no plugging all 4.

Shesterkin makes $5.6m
Bob Makes $10m
Oettinger makes $4m
The goalies that have carried Edmonton & Vancouver to where they are make $2.6m and $800k respectively.

Saros is not going to be available for anywhere near the $5m range in any year that the Leafs are contenders.... so there really shouldn't be any interest in placing much value on him.

Uhh Demko makes 5 million, and if you think Skinner is "carrying" a team with 2 players better than prime playoff Crosby and Ovechkin, you might be a bit off on your goalie evaluations. If you really think Skinner or Silovs type situation is viable for the Leafs given the rest of the roster more power to you I guess.

I dont think we would have L'Heureux, Molendyk, or Svechkov available.

Traded up in the draft specifically for L'Heureux and he is developing wonderfully.

Nashville is really short on good defensive prospects and Molendyk is gonna make a NHL impact in the next season or two. He barely didn't make the team out of camp last season.

Svechkov is developing well and probably doesn't have the highest ceiling but Nashville’s center situation is untenable. Probably could be had if we found a way to bring in a different center prospect in a separate trade but we have very little going on in terms of center prospects and the current NHL centers aren't particularly thrilling.

Wood, Kemell, and I would say 2024 1st would be up for grabs.

I don't see how you have so many untouchables for a forward who has broken your franchise points in a season record 3 times, was 1 point behind it this year, and is good defensively on top of his offense and has better playoff PPG than Filip Forsberg if you are in fact looking for a star forward. There really isn't anyone else on Marner's level available now or most years.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Uhh Demko makes 5 million, and if you think Skinner is "carrying" a team with 2 players better than prime playoff Crosby and Ovechkin, you might be a bit off on your goalie evaluations. If you really think Skinner or Silovs type situation is viable for the Leafs given the rest of the roster more power to you I guess.

I don't see how you have so many untouchables for a forward who has broken your franchise points in a season record 3 times, was 1 point behind it this year, and is good defensively on top of his offense and has better playoff PPG than Filip Forsberg if you are in fact looking for a star forward. There really isn't anyone else on Marner's level available now or most years.
Svechkov - our 1C is ROR who is 33 and we are lucky he had the best year he has in years but shouldnt rely on that continuing. Our 2C is Novak who should probably be a winger and was relegated to 4C minutes in the playoffs. As I mentioned he could be moved if we have a plan to get a replacement. Our 1C should be a 2C and our 2C should be a winger.

Molendyk - Josi will be 34, McDonagh 35, and lauzon already gets too many minutes. Outside of stastney the LHD group doesn't have much potential.

L'Heureux - they moved up to get him and he has been excellent in the AHL. I just have a hard time seeing them move on from him.

These are assets I would gladly spend for a center but not a winger. Center upgrade is where we really need to look at sending big assets to get a real upgrade

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
That would be counterproductive at best. There are very few players we'd trade Josi for, Marner isn't one of them.

I still think it's crazy how it seems like most Toronto fans don't want Saros, he'd easily be the best goalie they've had since, Andersen? Belfour?
I won't bring up the value of the trade but I'd easily take Saros in a Marner trade, no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad