Proposal: NSH - DAL - MTL

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Oui :laugh:

Nah sincerely I was under the impression that despite the new changes to the CBA, Weber's potential retirement in a few years could still negatively impact them; hence tacking him in.

(Under the impression that Bettman would be a lot less likely to contest Weber's "injured status" if the full effect of an early retirement was to go against a southern team vs. as currently shared with a Canadian one.) - This was a "plus" in there following that line of thoughts, but obviously can be removed.

Nashville will be hit with the recapture penalty no matter where Weber ends up so we have no incentive to give assets to Montreal for him and the league has already changed it so we don't incur a penalty over 7.8 a year.

No incentive for Montreal to do this.

You get one of the five best goalie prospects in the league and a 1st for a 34 year old defenseman.

Reactions: Armourboy

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Considering all of the latest rumors from insiders, here's one of those silly 3-way trade proposal!

NSH
Klingberg (Coming in with an 8 years extension "sign&trade")
Weber (So they can use his LTIR-ement moving forward)

Trade logic: Saros is arguably a top 10, near top 5 G this year at 26 signed to a reasonable contract for many years to come + Ingram is showing promises; hence lessening the blow of losing Askarov. Having Josi, Ekhom, Fabbro, & Klingberg as their top 4 for years to come allows them to regain that strong Dcorp status of prior years. Also gives them more control over the Weber situation (which would be dire if he was to retire early. - I believe his contract is insured; so little to no cost to ownership.)

DAL
Petry (with $2M retention, so AAV remains the same as Klingberg's for next 3 years)
NSH' 2022 1st round pick
Habs' 2022 3rd rd pick

Trade logic: Dallas remains uninterested to extend Klingberg over 8 years and have apparently shown interest in bringing in Petry. Flipping Klingberg for a guy who can slot in on the 2nd pair and take his minutes for the next few years at the same price could be key to remain competitive. Not optimal for Dallas to trade away Klingberg for a UFA-rental price at the TDL and disrupt their top 4 without a replacement on the way.

MTL
Askarov
The best of DAL's 2022 1st round pick (either theirs or NSH's)
Grimaldi (Cap dump)

Trade logic: Primeau has disappointed so far and their new GM has mentioned wanting prospects closer to be NHL-ready than draft picks. Askarov fits that bill and solves a position of need moving forward. Petry wants out, and the Habs want more darts in the 1st round of this year's draft. Retaining on Petry, taking on a cap dump on top of flipping pick #65-67 allows them to achieve that.

What. Somehow the terrible Petry contact is worth two first round picks. Even 50% retained, that’s nonsense. Petry isn’t worth remotely close to that value.

at $2mm retained, maybe you get a 2nd for it but the buyer pool is very small.

Reactions: Barnaby

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The assumption is that NSH fears the retirement penalty. I am not sure this is the case.

Regarding Klingberg, I have no idea what he is worth (I don t see a recent comp basically a good PP QB with defensive flaws...) and whether or not he ends up getting traded since DAL is a contender.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Dallas is essentially just swapping klingberg for a cheaper petry here and adding a 3rd round pick . They could get a way better deal than that elsewhere .

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
IMO, Montreal can do better breaking it up into two deals. If the Preds want Weber's LTIRetrement space, they're gonna pay for it and it won't be subsidized as part of selling off Petry on a down year.
For the 1 millionth time, this is never going to be a thing. It doesn't matter where his contract is the outcome is the same if he decides to retire rather than take the free money on our end.

Any idea that Nashville is going to give up good assets to take back a bad contract is silly. It's time to let go of that pipe dream.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
IMO, Montreal can do better breaking it up into two deals. If the Preds want Weber's LTIRetrement space, they're gonna pay for it and it won't be subsidized as part of selling off Petry on a down year.

That’s not how LTIR works… Teams don’t accrue cap space from LTIR contracts over the course of a season, so the Preds taking Weber’s contract would be negative cap value.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Montreal fans are going to be disappointed when they don’t go into the 2022 NHL draft with 12 1st round picks.
We'll be happy with the 1st OA and a few late ones. We don't want to be greedy.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Considering all of the latest rumors from insiders, here's one of those silly 3-way trade proposal!

NSH

Trade logic: Saros is arguably a top 10, near top 5 G this year at 26 signed to a reasonable contract for many years to come + Ingram is showing promises; hence lessening the blow of losing Askarov. Having Josi, Ekhom, Fabbro, & Klingberg as their top 4 for years to come allows them to regain that strong Dcorp status of prior years. Also gives them more control over the Weber situation (which would be dire if he was to retire early. - I believe his contract is insured; so little to no cost to ownership.)

DAL
Petry (with $2M retention, so AAV remains the same as Klingberg's for next 3 years)
NSH' 2022 1st round pick
Habs' 2022 3rd rd pick

Trade logic: Dallas remains uninterested to extend Klingberg over 8 years and have apparently shown interest in bringing in Petry. Flipping Klingberg for a guy who can slot in on the 2nd pair and take his minutes for the next few years at the same price could be key to remain competitive. Not optimal for Dallas to trade away Klingberg for a UFA-rental price at the TDL and disrupt their top 4 without a replacement on the way.

MTL
Askarov
Grimaldi (Cap dump)

Trade logic: Primeau has disappointed so far and their new GM has mentioned wanting prospects closer to be NHL-ready than draft picks. Askarov fits that bill and solves a position of need moving forward. Petry wants out, and the Habs want more darts in the 1st round of this year's draft. Retaining on Petry, taking on a cap dump on top of flipping pick #65-67 allows them to achieve that.
Take out Askarov and increase the retention.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

NSH

DAL
NSH' 2022 1st round pick
Habs' 2022 3rd rd pick

MTL
Askarov
Grimaldi (Cap dump)

Sounds good to me. Not sure about other teams though.

I would offer to tweak it though. Rather have another prospect who is not a goalie. Offer Canes 3rd instead of ours

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I could see Dallas wanting Petry retained, MTL wanting Askarov, and NSH wanting Klingberg signed.

That said you've got the values way off imo.

Also, not one person has made a logical argument to me why Nashville would ever need/want to acquire Weber. They can't force him to be on LTIR if he plans on retiring, so even in that unlikely scenario it doesn't make sense.

My version of this trade would look something like this:

Dallas gets: Petry retained, NSH 1st
Nashville gets: Klingberg signed, MTL 2nd
Montreal gets: Askarov

For Nashville:

The key being that MTL 2nd is just a small downgrade on the 1st they give up.

I'm not suggesting NSH wants to get rid of Askarov either, but they may see it worthwhile to get a signed Klingberg, while only slightly downgrading their pick.

For Dallas:

Their uncomfortable with Klingberg's ask, they get a guy in Petry who is clearly unhappy in Canada, and a strong contender for rebound at a cost controlled price for 3 years.

They also manage to snag an additional 1st in the draft. Something they can use either in an additional trade, or to build for the future.

For Montreal:

They need to move on from Petry now, despite his value being so low. It's gotten to the point where he's clearly very unhappy and it's only going to get worse.

They have a number of picks in the draft and giving up an early 2nd hurts, but they can recoup it by either packaging picks or moving a Lehkonen, Chiarot, etc. They will still be well positioned in the draft.

Getting Askarov provides some support for a position where the number of darts matter. Montreal has had the luxury of Price for so long now, they need one of their Goalie prospects to pan out. This significantly helps those chances.

So what do Nashville and Dallas fans think? I'm sure Montreal fans are hoping for more value for Petry, but I don't think it's there, even retained.

Reactions: Dutronc

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

So what do Nashville and Dallas fans think? I'm sure Montreal fans are hoping for more value for Petry, but I don't think it's there, even retained.

I think a lot of our fans would rather we do another Gudbranson or Holzer type deal than give up one of our best prospects and a first. We don't need another top 4 defenseman, we need a vet defenseman who can play top 4 minutes in case of injury/covid in the playoffs.

Reactions: Viqsi

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I could see Dallas wanting Petry retained, MTL wanting Askarov, and NSH wanting Klingberg signed.

That said you've got the values way off imo.

Also, not one person has made a logical argument to me why Nashville would ever need/want to acquire Weber. They can't force him to be on LTIR if he plans on retiring, so even in that unlikely scenario it doesn't make sense.

My version of this trade would look something like this:

For Nashville:

The key being that MTL 2nd is just a small downgrade on the 1st they give up.

I'm not suggesting NSH wants to get rid of Askarov either, but they may see it worthwhile to get a signed Klingberg, while only slightly downgrading their pick.

For Dallas:

Their uncomfortable with Klingberg's ask, they get a guy in Petry who is clearly unhappy in Canada, and a strong contender for rebound at a cost controlled price for 3 years.

They also manage to snag an additional 1st in the draft. Something they can use either in an additional trade, or to build for the future.

For Montreal:

They need to move on from Petry now, despite his value being so low. It's gotten to the point where he's clearly very unhappy and it's only going to get worse.

They have a number of picks in the draft and giving up an early 2nd hurts, but they can recoup it by either packaging picks or moving a Lehkonen, Chiarot, etc. They will still be well positioned in the draft.

Getting Askarov provides some support for a position where the number of darts matter. Montreal has had the luxury of Price for so long now, they need one of their Goalie prospects to pan out. This significantly helps those chances.

For a signed Klingberg the Stars could get more for sure, I'd really hope they wouldn't sacrifice those extra assets for another old man in Petry...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think a lot of our fans would rather we do another Gudbranson or Holzer type deal than give up one of our best prospects and a first. We don't need another top 4 defenseman, we need a vet defenseman who can play top 4 minutes in case of injury/covid in the playoffs.
Yeah, more than the Weber nonsense, the problem with the deal is the Preds don't need to add a defenseman like Klingberg, with that contract, when we already have Fabbro and Carrier on the right-side for years to come.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Montreal fans are going to be disappointed when they don’t go into the 2022 NHL draft with 12 1st round picks.

thats okay, well just take your team 1st , see them miss the playoff and win a top 3 pick

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Dallas gives up their better 1st round pick and Klingberg for a shittier 1st, 3rd and old man Petry? Big fat NO from Dallas!

Reactions: WhatWhat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad