Confirmed Trade: [NSH/BUF]: Nick Baptiste to NSH for Jack Dougherty

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Baptiste is fast and is a half-decent forechecker. Not a ton of hockey sense and struggles when the time and space he could enjoy in the AHL is taken away at the NHL level. He has some tools, but I don't see him being much beyond a 4th line/spare forward at the NHL level.

Any scouting report on Dougherty?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Baptiste still NHL potential, just probably not above line 4. A lot of speed, and decent defensive awareness.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Baptiste could carve out a solid bottom 6 role in the right situation. Hope he is able to do so in Nashville

He hasn't stuck on Sabres rosters that ranged from awful to terrible. Maybe he carves out a role on a much better roster, but I'm skeptical.

But he'll definitely score some goals for Milwaukee.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Baptiste is a gritty RW'er. 23 yrs old, he should do well in Nashville.
Any word on Dougherty? is he a righty or lefty?

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
He hasn't stuck on Sabres rosters that ranged from awful to terrible. Maybe he carves out a role on a much better roster, but I'm skeptical.

But he'll definitely score some goals for Milwaukee.
If he doesn't get anything going in Tennessee then ill be ready to give up on him. Loved him in junior so I'm biased :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So why didn't Nashville pick him up on waivers the other day?

P̶i̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶b̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶v̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶N̶H̶L̶ ̶r̶o̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶(̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶k̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶3̶0̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶s̶/̶1̶0̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶)̶.̶ Baptiste can start in the AHL for them and they'd have more options to send him up/down. This way they also send back an unwanted contract as well.

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Dougherty is a RHD, he hit the brick wall that is Nashville's top 6 defenders. Weird, I'm a Preds fan but I used to work in the Sabres org tree and I remember watching Baptiste and he is gritty with some scoring skill. I could see him making the push for 4th line time. Remember Watson is suspended. He could push Rinaldo to the box or waivers and Bitetto to Milwaukee.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Interesting. I thought Dougherty was one of our better D prospects for a pool that lacks defensive talent, of course we also lack forward talent too so what do I know.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So maybe Baptiste can turn into someone like Auston Watson or Colton Scissons?

I know noting about doughtery other than being a RHD. Still young at just 22, is there NHL potential?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I am curious about this as well, they only have 46 contracts per Cap Friendly so not sure why you don't snag him for free if interested.

1 probably a condition behind the trade of him clearing waivers and they wouldn’t claim him.

2. The unwritten rule applies...teams don’t claim players in their 1st year of waiver exposure.

I see baptiste as a bottom 6 player. I think he can succeed if given a chance. Last year buffalo intentionally kept him in the AGL by filling their roster with veteran crap.

This year there was Mitts, nylander, and thompson ahead of him. All higher drafted 1st round picks thus the caste system kicks in.

Buffali has a bunch more of forwards in their system ...besides the 3 mentioned above they also have Smith, Malone, O’regan, Asplund, Davidsson, oglevie , olaffson and bailey.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Sometimes players like Baptiste need a change of scenery before they understand that they're not going to have the same role at the NHL level that they did in Juniors and the AHL. Baptiste has had two training camps in a row where he looked like he couldn't care less whether he made the team. I don't think he even broke a sweat in any of the pre-season games this season and he knew that he was waiver eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad