Now with a Cup win, what are the chances Ovechkin retires early?

Aug 3, 2010
Basically the title's premise.

Ovechkin has won his Stanley Cup complete with Conn Smythe. Most would agree he is definitely still a Russian countryman at heart; what are the chances he leaves for the KHL in say, 3 years, and then plays in the Olympics?

Not trying to take anything away from Capitals' fans and their celebrations. Congratulations to your fanbase and team for winning it all in a 31-team league, no less.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm pretty sure he likes playing in the NHL because he's a competitive guy who loves testing himself against the best in the world. Winning one cup won't be enough for him

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
If Ovechkin is always healthy and has a chance to beat Gretzky's career goal record, so I think that he will try to beat it before to leave or retire.

Reactions: Scotty Pucks

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think he'll retire from the NHL at the end of his current contract.

I don't think that is likely. As long as he has a reasonable shot at winning and a reasonable shot at the goals record, he is going to play in the NHL. In the KHL, there is no guarantee that your flight arrives in one piece. Travel there is scary. He's not going to sign up for that. He plays to 40 in the NHL

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
He'll be done soon. I see him going to the KHL so he can continue his gliding style of play, I don't think he likes to try to hard and he has to do that in spades in the NHL.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I mean...I didn't even click the link. It clearly says she said he should retire.

Care to explain how this lead you to making a statement such as Ovechkin is done by 35 because his mom said so?
Lol. His mom is not cool with him playing past this contract. So he won't.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
He is pretty competitive and, IMHO, will want to set a lot more records before he retires.

He needs 62 goals to become the highest goal scoring LW of all time. He needs 273 points to have the most points by a LW, all time.

He also needs 12 more playoff goals to become the highest goal scoring LW of all time and 32 more points to have the most points by a LW in the playoffs, all time.

He needs 46 more PP goals to become number #1 of all time.

Lots of things to do besides contending for the ultimate prize a few more times.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
I don't think that is likely. As long as he has a reasonable shot at winning and a reasonable shot at the goals record, he is going to play in the NHL. In the KHL, there is no guarantee that your flight arrives in one piece. Travel there is scary. He's not going to sign up for that. He plays to 40 in the NHL

You're not serious are you? That's like someone saying... well you don't want to play in North America because there's no guarantee that your bus will arrive in one piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad