WEEI Now we know what a Bruins disaster would look like

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

There were 28 faceoffs in the Bruins zone, just 11 in the Pittsburgh zone on Monday.

That was just one of the many ways you could measure how much the Penguins dominated the Bruins for many stretches at TD Garden. Of course, you probably won’t spend a lot of time thinking about that because the Bruins won 6-4 on the strength of Brad Marchand’s five points, including the game-winning goal with 1:57 remaining in the third.

But the Bruins definitely should have taken their shortcoming against the Penguins to heart, and it sounded like they already had by the time they showered up and headed for Montreal on Monday night.

“You know even against Ottawa [a 5-2 win on Saturday> we didn’t have a great game, but we won,” Marchand said. “And it’s not something we can continue to do, we can’t have bad games and expect to win every night. So playing with fire a little bit, but it was a good I think eye-opener for us realizing that we’re not as good as we might’ve thought we were. Things were rolling smoothly and every team has an opportunity to win every night, and that’s just something we have to continue to remember. But when we focus and play our game and we play the right way, we’re a good team and we’re going to give ourselves an opportunity to win. We did that I the third and came out on the high end.”

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

There were 28 faceoffs in the Bruins zone, just 11 in the Pittsburgh zone on Monday.

That was just one of the many ways you could measure how much the Penguins dominated the Bruins for many stretches at TD Garden. Of course, you probably won’t spend a lot of time thinking about that because the Bruins won 6-4 on the strength of Brad Marchand’s five points, including the game-winning goal with 1:57 remaining in the third.

But the Bruins definitely should have taken their shortcoming against the Penguins to heart, and it sounded like they already had by the time they showered up and headed for Montreal on Monday night.

“You know even against Ottawa [a 5-2 win on Saturday> we didn’t have a great game, but we won,” Marchand said. “And it’s not something we can continue to do, we can’t have bad games and expect to win every night. So playing with fire a little bit, but it was a good I think eye-opener for us realizing that we’re not as good as we might’ve thought we were. Things were rolling smoothly and every team has an opportunity to win every night, and that’s just something we have to continue to remember. But when we focus and play our game and we play the right way, we’re a good team and we’re going to give ourselves an opportunity to win. We did that I the third and came out on the high end.”

Marchand came out and straight up admitted he was lucky he took that puck from Malkin or that would have been a clear uncontested breakaway. Instead of Krug's laser that could have been lights out if Malkin gets that puck and scores

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad