Now we have $$$, who do we acquire?

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
I'd say even better than that.. Is who can we get rid of, sending Clem to AHL, buyout whoever we want, etc... But if we're in the hunt come deadline time, maybe he goes after Vanek?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
not worth making any big trades at deadline this year.

in off-season, maybe we could go for someone semi big

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'll wait to until viola puts his money where his mouth is before writing up a shopping list. We have heard this song before and it's never panned out the way we expected

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com
I'll wait to until viola puts his money where his mouth is before writing up a shopping list. We have heard this song before and it's never panned out the way we expected

This.

It really is way too early for this thread. I mean, what if it's all just a smoke screen and everything pretty much stays the same? I think we should talk about this next off season when we have a little more insight to what the new management has planned.

Jan 19, 2006
During the offseason, I had been pining for a veteran center, a veteran goalie and 1-2 veteran defensemen.

That has largely been fulfilled, due in no small part to promises of increased spending from new ownership.

While I'd like to see a big splashy move, I wouldn't hold my breath. More spending =/= cap spending... at least not for this season.

Besides, if Tallon DOES do something, it will not be anything any of us would have anticipated.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
not worth making any big trades at deadline this year.

in off-season, maybe we could go for someone semi big

Agreed. Vanek would cost us a 1st +. And we aren't going to win the Cup this year. I'm looking toward signing a marquee free agent next summer, which won't cost us any assets besides money. But if Tallon can trade for a player that would truly help this team right now, would be cheap to acquire, and isn't on a ridiculous contract, I say go for it.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

Not sure if that's fair. No way viner signs Thomas. With that done and absorbing the cutting and or demoting of Clemmer that's a solid showing from a new owner IMHO.

Then if the team is competitive, the next showing will be at trade deadline.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Because of the cap, I would be content being able to sign all of our drafted kids when their contracts are up. Which may have not been possible with the previous ownership.
In regards to free agents, they are good for excitement and false hopes, they are always overpaid, and they seldom workout in the new cap-era.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
2014 top UFAs (excluding the likes of Thornton, Marleau & Sedins etc. that are likely to stay with the same team),

Centers: Stastny
LWs: Vanek, Cammalleri, Michalek
RWs: Gaborik, Kessel
D-men: Phaneuf? (weakest [as in likely to leave] top group of all positions IMO)
Goalies: Miller, Hiller, Halak

But like others said already, let's hold our horses for a moment to see if Viola is really committed to spending money to make the team better.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
SxutO.gif

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

He already has. Thomas, Boyes and Gilbert...

EDIT: I seems AG and I are going to post the same things today, haha!

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Not sure we have the money for top end free agents yet. Signing Boyes, Thomas, and Gilbert is definitely a nice change of pace but it doesn't compare to a 7x7 contract a top free agent could get.

I'm also not too sure they're worth it. I'd prefer a trade that lands us a player in the middle of his contract with RFA coming up.

I'd 100% be for trading to acquire Vanek even it it cost us next years first even if I knew 100% we'd finish in the bottom 10. We have enough prospects.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Because of the cap, I would be content being able to sign all of our drafted kids when their contracts are up. Which may have not been possible with the previous ownership.
In regards to free agents, they are good for excitement and false hopes, they are always overpaid, and they seldom workout in the new cap-era.
Bingo, we have a winner.
As long as we sign our home grown free agents and pick up a decent free agent here and there. I won't have a problem. Most of the time big name free agents just end up being a lot of bells and whistles.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I am still going to be on the wait-and-see approach, because talk is cheap. But, for sh$%s and giggles, Having Huberdeau set up Kessel or Vanek for the rest of the decade sure does sound nice :yo: Heck, I wouldnt mind him going after Marleau in the offseason.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not sure we have the money for top end free agents yet. Signing Boyes, Thomas, and Gilbert is definitely a nice change of pace but it doesn't compare to a 7x7 contract a top free agent could get.

I'm also not too sure they're worth it. I'd prefer a trade that lands us a player in the middle of his contract with RFA coming up.

I'd 100% be for trading to acquire Vanek even it it cost us next years first even if I knew 100% we'd finish in the bottom 10. We have enough prospects.

That's just insane. You're throwing good assets away. I'd be for it if we were a contender, but a bubble team or a bottom feeder...that's insanity.

I'd prefer to trade for a player with term, but a young player with RFA eligibility that's good enough that we would trade for him.....what is that guy gonna cost in terms of assets? If he's worth it, I'm all for it. If it's not a bonafide or future star though, then my preference is to sign a UFA to a big contract. It's not like we don't have the cap space, and now it seems we have the money to do that. I'm not advocating adopting the Rangers mentality of 1998-2004, but just one wouldn't hurt.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I am still going to be on the wait-and-see approach, because talk is cheap. But, for sh$%s and giggles, Having Huberdeau set up Kessel or Vanek for the rest of the decade sure does sound nice :yo: Heck, I wouldnt mind him going after Marleau in the offseason.

Marleau sounds nice. Even a secondary guy like Camalleri would be a nice change of pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad