Speculation: Now till the deadline..

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I'm not sure how many games we have till the deadline but I'm very interested to see what direction this team goes in. If we get hot and get close to locking up a playoff spot do we become buyers all of a sudden or stay put? We all started saying trade del zotto Callahan Girardi, we have to think about the future but what if the future is now? Long road ahead of this team but things are looking up. What do you guys think we do?

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I'm not sure how many games we have till the deadline..

Tampa - Jan 14
Red Wings - Jan 16
Sens - Jan 18
Caps - Jan 19
Isles - Jan 21
Blues - Jan 23
Devils - Jan 26
Isles - Jan 29
Isles - Jan 31
Avs - Feb 4
Oilers - Feb 6
Pens - Feb 7

Thats the schedule before the Olympic break.

...but I'm very interested to see what direction this team goes in. If we get hot and get close to locking up a playoff spot do we become buyers all of a sudden or stay put? We all started saying trade del zotto Callahan Girardi, we have to think about the future but what if the future is now? Long road ahead of this team but things are looking up. What do you guys think we do?
That the team played one stellar match together has not altered my stance on anything, but i can only speak for me :)

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I don't think we have the currency to really be buyers. We need our picks to re-stock the cupboard (which is pretty bare especially of forwards) after moving our 1st and 2nd in recent drafts and our young guys with value (Miller, CK, McI) are needed.

If Slats decides not to be a seller (likely), I think he'll try and consolidate this season and then use the Richards buyout and cap increase to make moves in the off season

SKjEi o2

Nov 13, 2013
If both Callahan and Girardi get resigned I'm ending my fan-ship until Sather dies.

Clausewitz

Dec 20, 2013
I wouldn't pursue trades. I mean, if something "too good to be true" comes along, then you pull the trigger. But let's not indiscriminately sell assets. Reason and calculation -- as opposed to impulse and desperation -- are the way to go.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I wouldn't pursue trades. I mean, if something "too good to be true" comes along, then you pull the trigger. But let's not indiscriminately sell assets. Reason and calculation -- as opposed to impulse and desperation -- are the way to go.

Agreed. I don't think we need a big addition or subtraction, unless we're stealing as a buyer or seller.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. The NHL has games scheduled for Feb 6th, 7th an 8th when the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics is Feb 6th?

What an absolutely horrendously run league.

Edit: NVM. The first game isn't until the 12th. Still. It would be cool to see the NHLers walking at the Opening Ceremony.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers seem to have gotten some momentum. Don't know if we're going to make any moves pre-Olympics.

Don't want to give DZ a qualifying offer this summer but even he is playing a lot better the past couple weeks. He and John Moore who he's partnering with have got their +/-'s to much more respectable numbers---not making nearly as many ****ed up plays.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. The NHL has games scheduled for Feb 6th, 7th an 8th when the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics is Feb 6th?

What an absolutely horrendously run league.

Edit: NVM. The first game isn't until the 12th. Still. It would be cool to see the NHLers walking at the Opening Ceremony.

I mean, they're already shutting down for two weeks.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
The Rangers seem to have gotten some momentum. Don't know if we're going to make any moves pre-Olympics.

Don't want to give DZ a qualifying offer this summer but even he is playing a lot better the past couple weeks. He and John Moore who he's partnering with have got their +/-'s to much more respectable numbers---not making nearly as many ****ed up plays.

Can you post without trashing DZ? He took your gf or something?

Cake or Death

We have two high-tier UFAs. If there is a feel they cannot be re-signed, you have to considering moving them. These are high level assets in Callahan and Girardi and I can't see how a GM could let them walk for zero return. If this team dumps Richards and loses all of Callahan, Girardi, Brassard and Stralman for zero return I think we're in really bad shape going forward.

Clausewitz

Dec 20, 2013
We have two high-tier UFAs. If there is a feel they cannot be re-signed, you have to considering moving them. These are high level assets in Callahan and Girardi and I can't see how a GM could let them walk for zero return. If this team dumps Richards and loses all of Callahan, Girardi, Brassard and Stralman for zero return I think we're in really bad shape going forward.

I agree completely. My post assumed total UFA retention (and the almost certain Richards buyout).

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
Im really worried that they are gonna either stay put or even be buyers this trade deadline. We may be fine short-term but long-term we are in trouble for sure

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
We need to look at what the Sharks did last deadline - they were a good playoff team, yet sold off rentals they knew would get overpriced contracts as UFAs. Not only did the players in question get significantly overpaid, they got overpaid for in the trades as well and the Sharks picked up an abundance of picks.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
We need to look at what the Sharks did last deadline - they were a good playoff team, yet sold off rentals they knew would get overpriced contracts as UFAs. Not only did the players in question get significantly overpaid, they got overpaid for in the trades as well and the Sharks picked up an abundance of picks.

I like this post. So if Callahan and Girardi are our Douglas Murray and clowe, do we trade them for picks/prospects and hope to squeeze into the playoffs? Because the team playing the way they are they can compete with anyone in the east but we have to consider moving cally n G for our future . It's interesting stuff

Punxrocknyc19*

If both Callahan and Girardi get resigned I'm ending my fan-ship until Sather dies.

so you have inside info that Glen Sather will be Rangers GM till he dies. great he will end up living till 100 years old if that is the case :sarcasm::help:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The team is playing better. Thats good.

I'd say I hope a little sugar high in the quality of play doesn't effect the organizational plan with the pending free agents, but that assumes theres a plan in the first place.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I like this post. So if Callahan and Girardi are our Douglas Murray and clowe, do we trade them for picks/prospects and hope to squeeze into the playoffs? Because the team playing the way they are they can compete with anyone in the east but we have to consider moving cally n G for our future . It's interesting stuff

Cally and Girardi are both younger and better than Clowe and Murray were last year. But they are also more important to our team that those players were to the sharks. It's a tough call, but we absolutely can't let them walk for nothing. So it's either pay them what they want, and maybe regret it later, or trade them.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The Rangers must look beyond this year. One of the worst things they can do is decide to be buyers and trade away some of our picks in the first few rounds - they have only had 9 picks in the last 2 drafts, and no picks before the 3rd round in the 2013 draft.

There are so many UFAs and RFAs in their contract year, and not all of them will be re-signed. Sather needs to maximize these assets rather than letting them walk away for nothing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What's the plan with the two big free agents? Its either pay or trade. It can't be keep for the rest of the season and lose them in July. If its pay,pay them already. Management has so many contract issues to deal with between now and the summer. Pay both of big 2 free agents and keep the other free agents will eat up signficant space. Amnesty Richards. If they bring in another big ticket,its very tough to fill out the roster with good players. DZ? He is arb eligible. Is he staying here for the rest of the season as Dreger said last weekend on the NHL network? He will be expensive to re-sign. Staal? Stay or go. Edzo said last Wednesday that he doesn't believe Staal will sign an extension with the Rangers. Don't leave that decision until the last minute. Jordan Staal was traded to Carolina 18 months ago and no one has asked Marc the Carolina question. Zuccarello will get good money in arbitration. Kreider will get a significant raise. Arb eligible for both of them. So many issues and none of them have been answered. Only Lundqvist was settled. Its time to make decisions. It all hinges on what they do with Callahan and Girardi. Its for big money and big term.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad