Speculation: Now that Keefe is gone what happens to the rest of the staff?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Now that Sheldon Keefe is gone and it looks like Craig Berube is the favorite to be the replacement I have to wonder what happens to the rest of the staff? do they all stay? or do the Leafs completely clean house? I have a feeling they are going to stay but I would clean house, with the exception of Mike Van Ryn because he is was on Berube staff when they won a championship in St Louis.

As unrealistic as it is I'd pay Todd Mcllenan all the money to come be an assistant that one is unrealistic I know but I'd do it because he's got a ring with Detroit.

I'd also target Dan Dan Byalsma because he's got a ring with Pittsburgh

You should be noticing a theme here, and that is that every hiring has 1 thing in common.

They all have championships they have all won rings, and that's what I want, I want this team to bring in as many people that have won championships as possible.

It's also why I would call Pittsburgh about Reilly Smith and Noel Accari.

Keith Pelley sat up on the podium at the press conference and he said they aren't here to sell Jerseys, They are here to win championships.

If that's true It's time to start bringing in people that have won.

Reactions: TMLife17

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Keith Pelley sat up on the podium at the press conference and he said they aren't here to sell Jerseys, They are here to win championships.

I bet the MLSE board gets updates on Jersey sales.

The new coach will likely bring staff.

I’d also add a staff psychologist for this group. The reasons are numerous.

Last edited:

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
1715520111016.png

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Nobody cares what happens to the rest of the staff.

All the coaches are crap. Boucher was useless. Is Malhotra still on the team?

I don't even know who the other assistant coaches are.

None of them are any good. If they were the Leafs would still be playing. So far as I'm concerned everyone from Shanahan on down, with the exception of Matthews, can pound pavement.

That includes all those assistant GM's too.

Can anybody name something these guys have actually accomplished as a functioning member of this team's front office? Something tangible that has put them closer to contention? What exactly do they need all these people for anyways?

I can't think of a single reason why anyone should care if they were all let go tomorrow.

Reactions: horner and TMLife17

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nobody cares what happens to the rest of the staff.

All the coaches are crap. Boucher was useless. Is Malhotra still on the team?

I don't even know who the other assistant coaches are.

None of them are any good. If they were the Leafs would still be playing. So far as I'm concerned everyone from Shanahan on down, with the exception of Matthews, can pound pavement.

That includes all those assistant GM's too.

Can anybody name something these guys have actually accomplished as a functioning member of this team's front office? Something tangible that has put them closer to contention? What exactly do they need all these people for anyways?

I can't think of a single reason why anyone should care if they were all let go tomorrow.

So you don't care about the topic, but you commented on the topic, so that means you DO care about the topic because if you didn't you wouldn't have commented on the topic.

I don't disagree that most of the coaching Staff is worthless, I'm not sure about Boucher he's a defense first coach so he probably should be coaching the PK not the PP.

The rest can f*** off into the sun.

I'm not even against replacing Boucher I'm just not sure he was ever put in the right role.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
So you don't care about the topic, but you commented on the topic, so that means you DO care about the topic because if you didn't you wouldn't have commented on the topic.

I don't disagree that most of the coaching Staff is worthless, I'm not sure about Boucher he's a defense first coach so he probably should be coaching the PK not the PP.

The rest can f*** off into the sun.

I'm not even against replacing Boucher I'm just not sure he was ever put in the right role.

I didn't say I didn't care about the topic.

I said I didn't care what happened to the subject of the topic. There's a difference. Other than wanting to see all these losers replaced by someone competent I'm not too concerned what happens to all these minor role players in the front office.

For the most part they're pretty inconsequential anyways.

Reactions: TMLife17

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Since we don't know what they do on a day to day basis, this is a stupid question.

I didn't say I didn't care about the topic.

I said I didn't care what happened to the subject of the topic. There's a difference.

:oops:

Other than wanting to see all these losers replaced by someone competent I'm not too concerned what happens to all these minor role players in the front office.

For the most part they're pretty inconsequential anyways.

If they are inconsequential, why do you give a damn?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It is but so far only Keefe is gone
Boucher and Van Ryn probably weren't overly connected to Keefe since they were part of his coaching staff for just the one season. It's still within the realm of possibility that neither will have a place alongside the new head coach though.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Boucher and Van Ryn probably weren't overly connected to Keefe since they were part of his coaching staff for just the one season. It's still within the realm of possibility that neither will have a place alongside the new head coach though.
Van Ryn has history with Berube, probably why he hasn't been removed yet.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If It's Berube I think Van Ryn stays because they won the cup together in St Louis
Which makes sense and could also officially squeeze out Boucher since I agree with one of your previous posts about Boucher being better suited for PK coach.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would assume that assistant coaches, are partly the responsibility of the Head Coach, as far as decision making is concerned. That's probably part of the interview process, and once a Head Coach is hired, they'll probably make decisions on the assistants. Given the time of year it is, there really isn't any urgency to make decisions on the assistants... Head Coach hiring first...

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Hopefully fresh start for all. That PP was brutal.

I thought Boucher was known for his strict defensive systems, I didn't see that applied.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Boucher has strong ties to Shanny - he was even given a HC offer for the Leafs that was yanked away at the last minute when Babs agreed to sign.

He needs to be booted as far away from special teams as possible but I can see him sticking around for at least another season in some sort of a role

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad