Now, that every team has played a game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Now that every team has played a game...

...how do you rank the teams (1-8) so far?

1. Canada...most complete team in the tournament, hasn't disappointed yet. They smoked Slovakia and should've done the same to Team USA if it wasn't for Esche. I want to see if the Russians can give them a game.

2. Finland...they may not be a team of superstars but they are wiping the floor with their opposition. Kiprusoff is definitely no fluke.

3. Sweden...they aren't too far behind Finland and obviously they haven't played each other yet. The fact that goaltending is a bit of a question mark, that's why they are third. They have the best two top lines in the tournament (Forsberg-Zetterberg-Naslund and Modin-Sundin-Alfredsson).

4. Russia...only saw them once but they look strong. We all know how skilled they are, it all rests on their focus and on how much they want it. Bryzgalov was very good last night...I thought goaltending would be their weakness with no Khabibulin and Nabokov. The game with Canada will be the true test for them.

5. USA...I have them this high only because of Esche. His defense is leaving him out to dry but he's been as good as any goalie in the tournament. The forwards just haven't produced enough pressure on the other end and they are getting outshot by nearly a 2:1 margin. They have to be Slovakia tonight or I see them being one-and-done in the playoffs.

6. Czech Republic...I think of them the same way as I think of the Russians. They are very talented but they need to have the motivation for them to succeed. With Hlinka's death, I would've thought they'd rally around it but have looked flat. Other than the third period of the Sweden game, they've been the worst team in the tournament.

7. Slovakia...same with Russia, only played once. Tonight with Team USA will be a good measuring stick for them. The Americans are vulnerable but the Slovaks are missing a few key forwards. The loser of the game tonight will likely have the unenviable task of taking on Canada in the first round of the playoffs.

8. Germany...bless their hearts, just no match for the other 7 clubs in the field. I don't know who would've been a better choice to fill out the 8 teams. I personally thought this tournament should've had 12 teams with only 8 advancing to the playoffs and making pool play more important.

My pre-tournament rankings were:
1. Canada
2. Czech Republic
3. Sweden
4. USA
5. Finland
6. Slovakia
7. Russia
8. Germany

Last edited:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Seems about right to me too. Finland is the darkhorse IMO. Kiprusoff scares me. He's as good as any goalie in the game right now and is capable of carrying that team like Hasek used to do with the Czechs. The Finns are no match for Canada up front or on D, but with him in goal they could win it all.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
While I dont think your rankings are bad they are pretty accurate other than the USA. They have regressed in the two games they have played instead of getting better. Atleast the Czechs played great against the Swedes last game.

USA should be 7th in my opinion. The loss of focus and the pure dominance by the Russians does not bode well for them.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
The Americans are vulnerable but the Slovaks are missing a few key forwards. The loser of the game tonight will likely have the unenviable task of taking on Canada in the first round of the playoffs.

huh? The whole time I thought that it was E1 vs. N4, E2 vs. N3, etc.

This sucks! For one thing, it means that you have to play a team twice while never playing another. I guess it's the only way they can manage it with the European schedule, but it's still disappointing.

How do the semis work (it isn't listed on the official site)? Do the two North American teams left have to play each other, or does the crossover start there?

BTW
1. Canada
2. Finland
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Czech Republic
6. Slovakia
7. USA
8. Germany

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
1) Canada
2) Finland
3) Sweden
4) Russia
5) Czech Rep.
6) USA
7) Slovakia
8) Germany

The only change I made was to switch the Czechs and the USA. IMO, the Czechs would wipe the floor with the Americans.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
My list

1. Canada
2. Finland and Sweden
3. Russia
4. Czech Republic
5. USA and Slovakia
6. Germany

Canada: clear number one at this point

Finland and Sweden: Ou Boy, these team are so even. I can`t wait to saturday to see this matchup :banana: I wonder what happens if Sweden scores a first goal, cause Finland has been leading all the games this far. Will Finns get confused and how Kipper handles situation?

Russia: almoust even with Finland and Sweden

Czech: Started tournament poorly, but I think chechs got confidence boost in the last period in game against sweden. Chech will be terrifying opponent and very different team in the semifinals than in game against Finland. I hope Finland avoids Chech in semifinal, cause it`s gonna be hell of game if we need to match em.

USA and Slovakia: They seem pretty even.

Germany: Made it diffucult for Finland to win against them. Not so skilled team, but if you underestimate this team and give it two goals lead, you are in trouble.

RangsDave

Jun 17, 2004
New York
1. Canada
2. Russia
3 Finland and sweden
4 Slovakia
5 usa
6 czech
7 germany

Canada: obviously #1
Russia: although only one game played, i'm looking forward to thier next games, they look very good
finland and sweden: very close competitors kipper is playing awesome and swedens offense is unstoppable
slovakia: Great offense, but they have to make more passes and better play
USA: They only play in the second period. Esche is keeping them alive and not making them lose 7-1
Czech: They can get far but they have to work together
Germany: Kolzig the only player on thier team

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Lexicon Devil said:
huh? The whole time I thought that it was E1 vs. N4, E2 vs. N3, etc.

This sucks! For one thing, it means that you have to play a team twice while never playing another. I guess it's the only way they can manage it with the European schedule, but it's still disappointing.

How do the semis work (it isn't listed on the official site)? Do the two North American teams left have to play each other, or does the crossover start there?

The whole playoff format is pretty screwed up. I don't like the N1 vs. N4, E2 vs. E3, etc. either. Both semifinal games will be in North America but I don't know what the matchups will be.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Team Rankings

I propose that each of us ranks the 8 teams based on their results so far.

Here is what I think :

1-Canada
2-Sweden
3-Russia
4-Finland
5-USA
6-Czech Republic
7-Slovakia
8-Germany

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
VAN-HAB said:
1) Russia
2) Canada
3) Sweden
4) Finland
5) Slovakia
6) Czech R
7) USA
8) Germany

You're willing to put Russia ahead of Canada based on one game against a US team that looked worse than the Germans ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad