Now looking back, do the Sharks regret trading for Erik Karlsson in 2018?

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
+1 on this. DW's entire strategy as a GM towards his later tenure was to assume that the cap would continue rising. Wrong in retrospect. Is there a team for which the lack of a rising cap hurt more than for the sharks? probably not. covid really ruined our cap structure.
Edmonton got screwed the hardest by far especially when you factor in the 2013 CBA's limits on contract length.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I don't know. Karlsson is still a top tier d-man who isn't that great at the d side but more than makes up for it. What's more interesting to me is as soon as Karlsson knew he was THE man with Burns gone, he really took it to a new level. The regret I'd have is that Burns wasn't made expendable to shore up other points of weakness earlier.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
There were more questionable moves made prior and after the Karlsson trade.

I think not re-signing Joe Pavelski had much more serious ramifications these past few years. I think his leadership was severely missed as much as his hockey talents.
Agreed, the trade itself wasn’t bad it was the decision to ultimately extend an injury prone 30 year old to a record contract. That partnered with the Kane extension did the damage ultimately and made it so the 3rd overall went to Ottawa.

The Kane extension had nothing to do with the draft pick. The Sens were getting the Sharks 2020 1st based solely on making the playoffs in 2019.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230920-021903.png
    Screenshot_20230920-021903.png
    427.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: SJsharks

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
No regrets on the trade.

Regret the contract that we signed making him the highest paid dman at the time. Wilson is an idiot.

The contract isn't even that bad. If he continues to put up 80-90 points for 5 more seasons, you can't really complain.

What the problem was for the Sharks was a quick implosion of the team. They were poorly built with no goaltending, a sparse defensive corps, and nearly-expired leadership group. They had some good pieces in guys like Couture, Meier and Labanc but ultimately they failed to build at least a decent team around Karlsson.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

I think not re-signing Joe Pavelski had much more serious ramifications these past few years. I think his leadership was severely missed as much as his hockey talents.

The Kane extension had nothing to do with the draft pick. The Sens were getting the Sharks 2020 1st based solely on making the playoffs in 2019.
I dont think that's true. The conditions on the Kane pick included re-signing

Plus, the condition on the Kane trade pick was established before the Karlsson trade, meaning that its conditions supersede the pick from Karlsson's trade. Further, the conditions on both trades were on the Sharks making the 2019 playoffs. If they didn't make the 19 Playoffs, the Sabres would have gotten the 2020 pick and the Sens would have gotten the 2019 pick.

Since the Kane pick conditions were met (both the re-signing and the playoffs), Buffalo got the Sharks 2019 1st, resulting in Ottawa getting the 2020 1st.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
So the general consensus is that DW giving EK that contract after is a bigger mistake than the Sharks taking the risk by trading for him. Covid was not good for the Sharks momentum from year to year.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
+1 on this. DW's entire strategy as a GM towards his later tenure was to assume that the cap would continue rising. Wrong in retrospect. Is there a team for which the lack of a rising cap hurt more than for the sharks? probably not. covid really ruined our cap structure.

I think the Oilers and Leafs cap situation got a lot more complicated (compared to other teams) with the Covid flat cap.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The contract isn't even that bad. If he continues to put up 80-90 points for 5 more seasons, you can't really complain.

What the problem was for the Sharks was a quick implosion of the team. They were poorly built with no goaltending, a sparse defensive corps, and nearly-expired leadership group. They had some good pieces in guys like Couture, Meier and Labanc but ultimately they failed to build at least a decent team around Karlsson.
Which in great part was because they had so much of their cap tied up in 3 defensemen, with Karlsson being the biggest chunk.

SJsharks

Apr 17, 2007
Dont worry about it

Ah I stand corrected! I had thought the condition on the 1st in the Karlsson deal was based on him signing. Looks like that’s one less thing I can blame on Kane.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The Unprotected 1st that became Stutzle was traded to Ottawa 25 months before the 2020 draft. At that time we looked like cup contenders and Norris was just an okay prospect. Basically everything that could have gone right for Ottawa in that trade did go right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad