Now Irving has been demoted

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I actually feel really bad for Irving, he played well the first three games. Wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
I actually feel really bad for Irving, he played well the first three games. Wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade.
If they can find a trading partner do it. He's done with the Flames, and will likely walk at the end of this season regardless. I still think he could end up as at least an NHL caliber backup, but I don't think he is happy with his treatment by the organization at this point (right or wrong) and I don't think he would re-sign even if offered a contract.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
This team is a mess. Treat the younger players properly for once, please...
If he was able to go on waivers Feaster would waive him, like Jones. I am not happy with management.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Guys while he didn't play terrible he hasn't exactly been stellar either. Some of those goals against Dallas were beyond pathetic. I'm not sure if we're leaning a little to heavily on the youth goggles here.

I think at best he would have been a backup goalie in the nhl. Anymore and I think we're deluding ourselves. He couldn't hold the starter job in the Ahl I don't see how we realistically expected him to keep it in the NHL.

Say what you want about Taylor or Brust but both of them have done more to deserve a sniff at the NHL than Irving at the moment.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Yeah he just simply wasn't good enough. Blame the D all you want but he wasn't convincing anybody as to why he should be here. Joey Mac made more quality saves in 2.5 periods than Irving did in his few starts up here. You do gotta feel for him tho, the Flames aren't playing defensive hockey under Harley, we NEED a top 10 goalie back there at the least.

Hope he finds a home. You gotta imagine this is devastating to his confidence.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Guys while he didn't play terrible he hasn't exactly been stellar either. Some of those goals against Dallas were beyond pathetic. I'm not sure if we're leaning a little to heavily on the youth goggles here.

I think at best he would have been a backup goalie in the nhl. Anymore and I think we're deluding ourselves. He couldn't hold the starter job in the Ahl I don't see how we realistically expected him to keep it in the NHL.

Say what you want about Taylor or Brust but both of them have done more to deserve a sniff at the NHL than Irving at the moment.

I honestly don't think management had Irving in their future plans ever. They're clearly really high on Ramo so it seemed like regardless of how Irving played, he was not expected to be with this organization after the season. Like you said I don't think Irving was that bad but he didn't do anything to prove he deserved the job, as nobody expected him to. I still feel bad for him as he had one off game (vs Dallas) and a bad start vs St.Louis and he's gone. Getting pulled after two goals really sent a message that his time was up IMO.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
God I hope Feaster has something up his sleeve because I'm really not confident in what they're doing with this team right now.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
He had his chance and didn't deliver. May as well see what we have with Taylor. He's not too much older than Irving and has spectacular AHL numbers.

Irving is pretty much done as a Flame. A shame, another first round bust confirmed.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I really hope Irving doesn't become another Savard or St. Louis. I think he has tremendous talent and wasn't properly managed.

I see Irving's recent struggles as a product of his opportunities. But when I see Irving at his best (eg., last year), I see high end skill.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yup, this organization's a joke. It's funny how they want to send him down now to 'sharpen' his game when they could have used the lockout for that. It's a joke.

Irving's done with the organization but I still think he can be starter with another team. And I expect things like this to be a recurring trend - this organization simply does not know how the develop prospects and until significant changes are made, that won't change.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He had his chance and didn't deliver. May as well see what we have with Taylor. He's not too much older than Irving and has spectacular AHL numbers.

Irving is pretty much done as a Flame. A shame, another first round bust confirmed.

Didn't deliver he is 2-1-1

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Didn't deliver he is 2-1-1

Columbus game - he played okay.
Vancouver game - he played okay, team didn't show up.
Dallas game - he had a rough game, defense didn't show up, offense bailed him out.
St. Louis game - defense was brutal but it was clear he was out of it to start.

So... yeah. Our team needs to show up every night but frankly he needed to be better as well.

What can ya do though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Columbus game - he played okay.
Vancouver game - he played okay, team didn't show up.
Dallas game - he had a rough game, defense didn't show up, offense bailed him out.
St. Louis game - defense was brutal but it was clear he was out of it to start.

So... yeah. Our team needs to show up every night but frankly he needed to be better as well.

What can ya do though.

Detroit - he was good
Comlubus - he was good
Vancouver - he was good team didn't even show up
Minnesota - he was good until the shoot out
Dallas - mostly good bad goal and shaky puck control
St.louis - bad game

So one bad game and he send him down?

I understand some expect him to be Kipper 2.0 but that is ridiculous he played fine for a young net minder thrown into the starting role.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Detroit - he was good
Comlubus - he was good
Vancouver - he was good team didn't even show up
Minnesota - he was good until the shoot out
Dallas - mostly good bad goal and shaky puck control
St.louis - bad game

So one bad game and he send him down?

I understand some expect him to be Kipper 2.0 but that is ridiculous he played as fine for a young net minder thrown into the starting role.

Whoops, forgot about the Minnesota game. He was good in that one though.

I dunno. Maybe this is simply evaluating Taylor to see how he fares in the NHL. IMO the writing was on the wall when they claimed MacDonald though. It's pretty clear management holds MacDonald and Ramo in higher regard than Irving. I don't like it at all but again, what can ya do. This is hardly surprising to me as a Flames fan.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

I dunno. Maybe this is simply evaluating Taylor to see how he fares in the NHL. IMO the writing was on the wall when they claimed MacDonald though. It's pretty clear management holds MacDonald and Ramo in higher regard than Irving. I don't like it at all but again, what can ya do. This is hardly surprising to me as a Flames fan.

They sent Taylor down the first time because they didn't like what they saw from him in practice. Part of the reason why MacDonald was a target and why they claimed him.

Neither MacDonald nor Taylor, should he even get the chance to play, will provide a level of goaltending better than what Irving contributed. This is going to get ugly pretty quick.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I agree the writing was on the wall with the claim, but this is stupid Irving has gotten us at least a point in 7 out of his 11 games that he has won or lost, MacDonald didn't look any better last night, this just the short sighted move this team has always done we get a rookie and expect him to out preform the veterans versus slowing introducing him into the league and supporting him when he struggles.

But **** it lets hope Kipper plays 70+ games until he is 80.

p_macc1987

Apr 5, 2007
Bay-View (Pictou)
This is why drafting Goaltenders is so unpredictable, Irving has a 1st round pick beside his name and him being a Flames first round pick I understand why people are upset that things haven't gone as planned these things take time. He is only young 24 at that still trying to find his way, throwing him into the NHL if he isn't ready will not help him succeed, Maybe Irving needs a change of scenery in order to succeed aka outside of Calgary so he doesn't have that 1st round pick stigma following him anyways, Keep the positive faith Go Flames Go! Cheers Pmacc

PS:I also blame the media coverage, I respect that this is Canada's game (hell I am Canadian) but sometimes we are way over analyzing we need to step back from the micro scope and look at the whole picture

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Irving has been good, but not great. Irving got his chance, now it's time to see what Taylor can do. If Taylor proves to be a better goalie, then goodbye Irving, best of luck to ya.

Just because he's young, doesn't mean he gets special treatment.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I feel bad for the kid. He's going to be a good one - unfortunately for another team. He played as well (And sometimes as badly) as any kid his age in a job for which he is unprepared. He needs a couple of good years as an NHL backup playing 25-30 games a season. He should have had more playing time in the A as well - especially this season during the lockout.

Flames management and coaching are getting way to jumpy in how they're managing players both on and off the ice. They look like they're heading into panic mode and that's never a good thing.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Irving has been good, but not great. Irving got his chance, now it's time to see what Taylor can do. If Taylor proves to be a better goalie, then goodbye Irving, best of luck to ya.

Just because he's young, doesn't mean he gets special treatment.

No but why claim Macdonald we could have just tried both at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad