NOVA: Picture a Scientist

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
My wife went through a lot of that in the 1980s and 1990s. Science was still an old boys club in many places. She was discouraged from taking math and science classes in school. She didn't get her name on a patent where she did practically all of the work, which led to a new plant for her company. She tried to transfer to that new plant and was refused by the management.

Rosalind Franklin should have received a Nobel for her work on DNA, either in Physics or Chemistry. Neither Watson or Crick, winners in 1962, would have figured it out without her superior X-ray crystallography work. Unfortunately, she died too early in 1958, which also robbed her of a possible second Nobel prize awarded in 1982. By that time, the Nobel Prize could not be awarded posthumously as a rule, rather than a practice.

Maurice Wilkins, her supposed collaborator on DNA research, was investigated for leaking atomic secrets in the 1950s. Wilkins and Franklin had an awful relationship because their research director told Franklin one thing and told Wilkins something else about who and how research was to be done at their school.

It makes me wonder if the UK would be one of the premier countries for science in the world if they didn't degenerate into sexism, stupidity, rivalry and whatever else was going on in the 1950s. They really shot themselves in both feet.

It was the same country that invented radar, which the UK used against German airplanes and radio direction finding which was used against German submarines during WWII. They never really developed a manned space program, only sending a woman, Helen Sharman, into space in May of 1991 to the Mir space station. Tim Peake was launched in 2015. They have done a lot with satellites!

I have heard that in Japan, if a woman has a child, that is is considered not to be serious about being a career woman. What if men were treated that way? "You got married and had a kid? No more promotions for the rest of your life!"

As screwed up as the US is, we aren't nearly as screwed up as some other countries. Think about Saudi Arabia outlawing slavery in 1963 or only allowing women to drive a few years ago. My daughter would tell you that many nations still have slavery, it is just hidden.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad