NOTIFICATION - 2013-14 Rating Challenges Submission Info

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Here's a reminder on how the system works. One Ratings Challenge marker will serve as the person you will send your challenges into. He will then rebuttal your challenge. Both your challenge and his rebuttal will then be sent to the Final judge who will look at the evidence from both sides and make a ruling based on this, with the process working more like an actual court room judgment. We've developed this process in order to make the ratings challenge ruling slightly more consistent and more democratic. This year we have three Ratings Challenge markers and one Final judge that will rule on every challenge except his own.

So here are your instructions:

Each team is going to get a maximum of 6 ratings challenges on a maximum of 5 players. OV can not be challenged, except for goaltenders. Goaltender ratings will be challenged by OV only (basically you would suggest an overall percentage increase of all ratings or which OV rating or goalie your goalie should rate like).

Please make sure your ratings challenges are well researched and worthwhile. A successful ratings challenge is likely to be built around stats or scouting reports.

Your ratings challenge submission format should appear as follows"

Email Title: "HFNHL Ratings Challenge - Team Name"

1. Player Name
2. Rating being challenged
3. Current Rating
4. Suggested Rating
5. Reasoning or Argument for challenge (aka your proof)

The submission deadline for these challenges is going to be Saturday, October 19th at 11:59pm PST.

Please see the below list to figure out who you will be sending your challenges to.

Would the following teams Group A send their ratings challenges to Jeff Kirk at [email protected]:

Anaheim Ducks
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Los Angeles Kings
Nashville Predators
Pittsburgh Penguins
San Jose Sharks
St. Louis Blues

Would the following teams Group B send their ratings challenges to Robb Doduck at [email protected]:

Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
Minnesota Wild
Philadelphia Flyers
Phoenix Coyotes
Tampa Bay Lightning
Vancouver Canucks
Washington Capitals

Would the following teams Group C send their ratings challenges to Ville Isopaa at [email protected]:

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Winnipeg Jets

Once again, Brock will be the Final judge for all teams except his own, which I (Jeff) will take care of.

Once challenges are completed and final judgements are made we will begin our pre-season within a few days afterwards.

Any questions, feel free to post them in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
Would it be possible to move the deadline to the 20th, this allows teams to prepare the challenges over the weekend?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Would it be possible to move the deadline to the 20th, this allows teams to prepare the challenges over the weekend?

We'll extend it to end of day Saturday the 19th, 11:59PM PST. As much as people will need time to prepare, the judges will need more time to review everyone elses submissions and would benefit from at least part of a weekend as well. The longer we extend these things the longer until the season can start!

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
OV can not be challenged, except for goaltenders. Goaltender ratings will be challenged by OV only (basically you would suggest an overall percentage increase of all ratings or which OV rating or goalie your goalie should rate like).

Any questions, feel free to post them in this thread.

There will be a change to the goalie challenges from last year. The process was a bit of a mess last year. This year the goalie challenges will be on the ranking that the skill ratings (SK, AG, RB, SC, HS, RT and PH) are based on. Instead of making a challenge on the OV rating, the challenge should be made on the position in the ranking. The other 6 ratings (DU, EN, SZ, PS, EX and LD) can be challenged like normal skater ratings.

The ranking is based on the following stats from the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons with 50-50 weight on the seasons: SV%, GAA, SO, Vezina votes, Wins and Minutes played.
The goalies have been ranked in each of the stats above for an average ranking. Team defense has also been taken in to account, using total shots against for the teams the goalies played on.

Every position in the ranking equals an average 0,5 points in the skill ratings.

Rank Player
1 Henrik Lundqvist
2 Mike Smith
3 Antti Niemi
4 Jon Quick
5 Pekka Rinne
6 Jimmy Howard
7 Brian Elliott
8 Tuukka Rask
9 Cory Schneider
10 Craig Anderson
11 Jaroslav Halak
12 Marc-Andre Fleury
13 Sergei Bobrovsky
14 Kari Lehtonen
15 Carey Price
16 Niklas Backstrom
17 Ryan Miller
18 Roberto Luongo
19 Viktor Fasth
20 Jonas Hiller
21 Corey Crawford
22 Tomas Vokoun
23 Miikka Kiprusoff
24 Tim Thomas
25 Ilya Bryzgalov
26 Cam Ward
27 Martin Brodeur
28 Devan Dubnyk
29 Evgeni Nabokov
30 Braden Holtby
31 James Reimer
31 Semyon Varlamov
33 Ondrej Pavelec
34 Ben Bishop
35 Ray Emery
36 Jose Theodore
37 J. Giguere
38 Robin Lehner
39 N. Khabibulin
40 Anton Khudobin
41 Johan Hedberg
42 Jonathan Bernier
43 Jhonas Enroth
44 Josh Harding
45 Michal Neuvirth
46 Thomas Greiss
47 Martin Biron
48 Peter Budaj
49 Mathieu Garon
50 Jonas Gustavsson
51 Jake Allen
52 Steve Mason
53 Ben Scrivens
54 Curtis Sanford
55 Scott Clemmensen
56 Richard Bachman
57 Al Montoya
58 Jason LaBarbera
58 Justin Peters
60 Chris Mason
61 Joey MacDonald
62 Anders Lindback
63 Darcy Kuemper
64 Dwayne Roloson
65 Matt Hackett
66 Dan Ellis
67 Jacob Markström
68 Ty Conklin
69 Leland Irving
70 Kevin Poulin
71 Cristopher Nilstorp
72 Brent Johnson
73 Chad Johnson
74 Brian Boucher
75 Alex Auld
76 Rick DiPietro
77 Andrew Raycroft
78 Anders Nilsson
79 Allen York
80 Daniel Taylor
81 Jeff Deslauriers
82 Brad Thiessen
83 Henrik Karlsson
84 Marty Turco
85 Petr Mrazek
86 Dustin Tokarski
87 Cederick Desjardins
87 Philipp Grubauer
89 Sebastien Caron
90 Curtis McElhinney
91 Yann Danis
92 Jussi Rynnäs
93 Sami Aittokallio
94 Michael Leighton
95 Alex Stalock
96 Drew MacIntyre
97 Mike Murphy
98 Carter Hutton
99 Shawn Hunwick
100 Brian Foster
100 Iiro Tarkki
102 Peter Mannino
103 Keith Kinkaid
104 Jeff Frazee
105 Thomas McCollum

Sorry about not getting this out earlier, but if someone has made a challenge on the OV, you're welcome to make a change to that challenge.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
To confirm for my people, I've received submissions from the following:

Columbus Blue Jackets
Los Angeles Kings
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues

I also received submissions from the Canadiens and forwarded them to Ville for his review.

Brent Burns Beard