Notable Prospects not in HF's top 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Melnyk

Feb 27, 2002
Gloomsville, USA
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Now, Hugh Jessimen. While I understand why he could have slid onto this list, he's not nearly a top 50 prospect in my estimation. He has shown no signs of significant growth this year at Dartmouth, as he was expected to be even more dominant with a year of physical and mental progression behind him. He managed to put up numbers that weren't quite as good as they were a year ago. While he does have the size and potential, Jessimen was a pick based simply upon the principal of maximizing his potential in order to be a dominant player. Had he shown major steps forward this year, it would have been perfectly acceptable for him to garner such praise. However, I don't think he made enough forward progress to be considered above some of the people who were on the short "bubble list", if you will.

I like Jessiman alot, but I don't think he deserves to be on the Top 50----yet. But I think you might be shortchanging his development alittle. True, his numbers went down but how bout the rest of his game? The physical and defensive aspects that he was always slammed for before the draft?...By the accounts I have read, he's become more defensively responsible and has upped his physical play.....Back to his declining numbers (they still weren't chopped liver)-----Jessiman burst on the Collegiate scene last year and kinda surprised alot of people...I've read interviews with Dartmouth's coach where he stated how teams specifically targetted Jessiman this year with their defense and double or triple teaming geared to stopping him..That could make anybody's numbers go down....However, next year is the key...Can Jessiman adapt to the coverage he will now always get and play thru it and excel..If he does, then he probably makes the top 50 in the near future...If not, Ranger fans may bemoaning another first round mishap...Time will tell...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's a shame that Lundqvist wasn't there. He is one of the best, if not the best, goaltending prospects outside the NHL. Not only are his stats phenominal, but his play is also. Ask any Swede how good Lundqvist is.

He's going to be a franchise goalie.

Reactions: Casanova

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Caniacforever said:
Now, Hugh Jessimen. While I understand why he could have slid onto this list, he's not nearly a top 50 prospect in my estimation. He has shown no signs of significant growth this year at Dartmouth, as he was expected to be even more dominant with a year of physical and mental progression behind him. He managed to put up numbers that weren't quite as good as they were a year ago. While he does have the size and potential, Jessimen was a pick based simply upon the principal of maximizing his potential in order to be a dominant player. Had he shown major steps forward this year, it would have been perfectly acceptable for him to garner such praise. However, I don't think he made enough forward progress to be considered above some of the people who were on the short "bubble list", if you will.

With Jessiman, you can argue (and have a good one) that teams were keying in on him much more this season. 2 or 3 guys on him all the time. This enabled the other guys around him to score more and actually helped the team by being mugged game in, game out. He has a bit of an attitude problem that needs to go (the whole giving the finger to the fans thing), but I don't think he'll have a problem being an NHLer. It's not just the stats you should look at with him, it's his play. He's been a bit more physical and nasty, but at the same time, he only marginally improved his defensive play (which is what he HAS to do).

I don't think he's Top 50 yet, but he could be next year if he takes the appropriate steps to improve his game.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Mister Hockey said:
I like Welch a lot, and he probably should have made the top 50. I don't know about E. J. He once said Ian Moran reminded him of Bobby Orr.

I don't think that Noah is Top 50, but I think you have a damn good 3/4 defenseman on your hands...

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Caniacforever said:
For those claiming Knyazev is a defensive defenseman, he's a -33 in his two years in the AHL so far. It's just that he has shown no signs of development, and i've heard people say his play actually regressed this season instead of improved.

I was surprised to see Knyazev there as well. He hasnt done anything special. I would caution he is still very young.. he was the youngest rookie in the AHL last season and he has had to play on the worst team in the AHL with McSorely as his coach. McSorely is not likely to be back because almost all the prospects had a bad time in Springfield. Still I havent heard anyone say Knyazev has regressed.. only that he is unspectacular and steady.

However Taffe is a very different matter altogether.. perhaps I can answer some of your questions..

Jeff Taffe is 23 years of age as well, and has shown no significant increase in his production in order to grant him a slot on the Top 50 prospects list or even for consideration.

As well as who? Knyazev or Kahnberg perhaps? Knyazev isnt 23, he's just turned 21 and Taffe himself has only just turned 23 and is a year younger than Kahnberg.

Increase in what production? In his rookie year in the AHL Taffe was an All-Star and put up 23 goals and 49 points in 57 games, by far and away the best player on a bad team. This season he was rated the #1 prospect in the AHL and he was dominant. He notched 10 goals in 15 games before he was promoted to the NHL which shows a clear improvement. I noticed you put Kahnberg's production on a level with the AHL. Taffe matches that production level at a younger age and is now already in the NHL while Kahnberg still has to come over and show he can be successful in NA pro hockey.

He has played 79 NHL games as well, which is about the same or more than Eric Staal, Patrice Bergeron, and Nathan Horton. Is there something i'm missing about Taffe that would merit his name mentioned in such high regard?

Staal has the same number of goals and Bergeron/Horton only have a few more. In any case I'd agree Taffe isnt right up there with Staal and Horton who are true elite prospects but he hasnt embarrassed himself.

I've heard Coyotes fans this season say that Taffe hasn't progressed as fast as they expected and are not expecting him to be a major impact player anymore. He hasn't even done much in order to be considered a top prospect since he left Minnsota besides put up a season of just below a point per game at the AHL level. Heck, Mike Zigomanis did that this year and was named the MVP of the AHL all-star game. I'd think him more deserving than Taffe, who has consistantly failed to solidify a spot on the Coyotes for the past three seasons. Not saying Zigomanis deserved to be on the list, but if one could argue for Taffe, one could argue that point as well.

The difference is Taffe reached that near-PPG level in his first season in the AHL. Zigomanis took three years before he reached a similar level of point production. This year Zigomanis had 17 goals in 61 games. Taffe had 10 in 15. Its not really very close.

Taffe has failed to make the Coyotes for three years? He's only been a pro for two years. He spent his first year in the AHL and had a solid year. Started in the AHL this year mainly because the Coyotes had too many bodies they couldnt demote but after 15 games he was called up and never went back.

Also you may not be aware but Taffe is not playing in his natural centre position but being fitted in as a LW.. so he is basically learning a new position at the same time. His ice time is also not as high as someone like Staal gets.. he averages around 11 minutes a game and it is only that high because of the nosedive the Coyotes had at the end. When he did get a lot of ice time he had a nice scoring streak. I actually worked out that if given the ice time of a 2nd line forward, his numbers project to a 20-20-40 season which is pretty good for a rookie or sophomore and is what I am expecting him to do next season if he is given that role. Hopefully he will build on that and become the top line center we need. Although he wont be any more than another Brian Savage if he doesnt show a bit more determination. His numbers in the NHL may not be spectacular but he has definitely shown progress in the AHL and is now a NHLer in all but name. To be honest Im actually surprised he's not considered graduated.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
From a Swedish standpoint :)

1) Loui Eriksson
2) Henrik Lundqvist
3) Lars Jonsson/Magnus Kahnberg/Stefan Liv

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
He is horrible defensively. I seen him 3 or 4 times this year and he was horrible in every game defensivly. He wasn't physical either. The NHL is even another step up.

Agreed. I've only seen him one game, but he was atrocious in that game. He was wonderfully talented but had no defensive awareness and got shoved around quite a bit. And that 5'11" listing looked very generous.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Well, I was more taking issue with Jeff Taffe being listed as a prospect when players like Vaclav Nederost could be and players like that. Taffe has played almost a full season at the NHL level in fits and starts and is 23 years old. The reason i'd consider putting an overaged Euro on the list like Kahnberg is because he hasn't been given the chance to play at the NHL level yet and could possibly end up being a productive player. Guys like Stanislav Chistov, Semin, Svitov even and a few others should be on the list before Taffe, in my opinion. He just doesn't have the big name like those players and thus, his credentials are looked upon with more sympathy. Players like Staal, Horton, and Zherdev have all played a comperable amount of games at 4-5 years younger than Taffe and aren't considered prospects anymore by the standards of this list. It just strikes me as funny.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Sammy said:
I think one goal is a little far from being "well on his way ". :joker: :joker:

Considering it was in his first AHL game, and was the game-winner, it looks like he is on his way to proving people wrong.

The comparison to Sarno is one of the worst I've heard in a long time. Yes, Sarno led the OHL in scoring once, but he was picked in the sixth round, hence he was never supposed to be a good NHLer. Corey Locke is more like Sarno.

I think Perry is gonna be the guy who proves everyone wrong. People have said that he won't do good, yet half of them likely haven't seen him play. His weak points are his skating and strength, but I don't think people decided to consider that he may work on those weak points this summer. He should be a good 2nd line RW on Anaheim in the future, and it's beyond me how Jani Rita was on the bubble for the top 50 before he was.

slimer

Jul 8, 2003
What about Alexei Shkotov and Shawn Belle. Shkotov was averaging close to 1.5 pts/game in the Q and Belle played better than expected this year for Tri City.

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
Antero Nittymaki, goalie for Phantoms in the AHL is a keeper. There were 4 or 5 stellar goalies in the AHL this season: Miller, Emery, Ouelette, etc... but Nittymaki will be a number 1 in the next few years.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
People have said that he won't do good, yet half of them likely haven't seen him play. His weak points are his skating and strength, but I don't think people decided to consider that he may work on those weak points this summer. He should be a good 2nd line RW on Anaheim in the future, and it's beyond me how Jani Rita was on the bubble for the top 50 before he was.
Good points, last year he put on 15 Ilbs of muscle in the offseason and that really helped his aggressiveness, who's to say he won't do the same thing this year.... he's only 18.

And a lot of people who say Perry is nothing more than a good OHLer are biased, he is the most hated player in the league.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Charlie_Girl49 said:
No, that would be Bois or Logan! :D

Logan is the most hated player in London, I'm sure most other OHL fans would love to see him back in London for an Overage season.... his terrible penalties and inability to skate, really fares well for the opposition.

As for Perry he is an incredibly skilled player, if not for his skating he would be touted as a top line player in the NHL, no question.

Their are players who don't have great wheels that are having great careers in the NHL and with Perry's size he's bound to get a look and could easily pan out as a top six forward. I can't see him in any way being able to adjust his game to fit in to a checking role (3rd line) or limited role (4th line) though. So it may take him a little longer to crack the NHL as a regular, but to say he is nothing more than an OHLer is laughable... at the very least he will be lighting up the AHL at some point down the line. He is very dedicated to hockey too, he'll do whatever it takes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
slimer said:
What about Alexei Shkotov and Shawn Belle. Shkotov was averaging close to 1.5 pts/game in the Q and Belle played better than expected this year for Tri City.
What is this, a joke?

slimer

Jul 8, 2003
Jacobv2 said:
What is this, a joke?

No, Belle was one of the Best Canadian defenseman at the world jrs. Shkotov was one of the most exciting players in the Q this year. I don't think Hudler has anything on Shkotov.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Caniacforever said:
Well, I was more taking issue with Jeff Taffe being listed as a prospect when players like Vaclav Nederost could be and players like that. Taffe has played almost a full season at the NHL level in fits and starts and is 23 years old. The reason i'd consider putting an overaged Euro on the list like Kahnberg is because he hasn't been given the chance to play at the NHL level yet and could possibly end up being a productive player. Guys like Stanislav Chistov, Semin, Svitov even and a few others should be on the list before Taffe, in my opinion. He just doesn't have the big name like those players and thus, his credentials are looked upon with more sympathy. Players like Staal, Horton, and Zherdev have all played a comperable amount of games at 4-5 years younger than Taffe and aren't considered prospects anymore by the standards of this list. It just strikes me as funny.

Agreed. I didnt expect to see Jeff Taffe. Especially since it seems Freddy Sjostrom hasnt been included. Although Sjostrom has played about the same number of games this year, he was called up much later. Its very hard to predict which rookies will stick though and its a very reasonable conclusion that a natural center Taffe would not stay on the Coyotes (who had Langkow, Gratton, Hrdina, Sillinger and Kolanos down the middle as well as Comrie later on).

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Call me a homer, but what does Jussi Jokinen have to do to get any respect? He has outplayed/outproduced Mikko Koivu at EVERY level, but because his older brother isnt an NHL star and he wasnt a high 1st rounder, he's nowhere to be found?(thanks to GLU for that little piece....took it off Andrew's :D )

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Koltsov said:
Kirill Koltsov, will be even better next year with more strength. The protoype offensive defenseman, great stickhandling, awareness, vision, and speed.

He was already in the top 50 so what you talking about ?!?!?!

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
slimer said:
No, Belle was one of the Best Canadian defenseman at the world jrs. Shkotov was one of the most exciting players in the Q this year. I don't think Hudler has anything on Shkotov.

Dude, it's your fault for even SUGGESTING that a Blues prospect get a little respect. Everybody knows the Blues can't draft for crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad