Not the First Penalty Shot Goal by Winnipeg Jet IN WINNIPEG

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Last night on the post game broadcast of the Jets game, TSN 1290 made the statement that Bryan Little's goal was the first time a Winnipeg Jet had ever scored a penalty shot goal in Winnipeg. This statement is untrue.

The first time that a Winnipeg Jet scored a penalty shot during a home game was during game 1 of the 1978 Quarter Final Series versus the Birmingham Bulls on April 14, 1978.

Steve Durbano throw his stick at the puck at 19:51 of the third period, prompting referee Bill Friday to award a penalty shot to the Jets. Anders Hedberg took that penalty shot and scored, his second goal of the game which the Jets won 9-3.

Old time Jets fans will remember that this was the game where Dave Hanson pulled Bobby Hull's hairpiece off. Both daily newspapers at the time published photos of Bobby Hull standing along the boards bald, with his hairpiece laying on the ice at his feet.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

oldcoot

Jan 25, 2012
I've seen the websites that say Hanson pulled off his toupee (and later apologized at the face off circle). They're wrong. That was also Steve Durbano.

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I've seen the websites that say Hanson pulled off his toupee (and later apologized at the face off circle). They're wrong. That was also Steve Durbano.

oldcoot, your memory fails you. Dave Hansom pulled Bobby's hairpiece off and I've got a newspaper clipping from a Winnipeg newspaper that proves it. Check my Twitter account and you'll find it.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
^ that game is incredible. It does look like a penalty shot, as the goal is unassisted.

-43 PIM plus two misconducts to Winnipeg's goalie (!!!) following a Birmingham goal
-Shots were 48-12 for Winnipeg
-3 Goals in 7 shots for Birmingham
-Winnipeg had 2 Nilssons

Why does this remind me of Slap Shot?

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

oldcoot

Jan 25, 2012
oldcoot, your memory fails you. Dave Hansom pulled Bobby's hairpiece off and I've got a newspaper clipping from a Winnipeg newspaper that proves it. Check my Twitter account and you'll find it.
Google "hull durbano toupee" and you will find many who remember it as I do, including a reference in the Free Press earlier this year. I believe it was when Durbano charged Hull from behind, but the remaining video of that is pretty inconclusive. I was sitting up in the $4.75 greys and it was nearly 40 years ago, so I may be misremembering. Weird that many others are misremembering the same thing, but stranger things have happened. Durbano is dead now so we can't ask him. Bobby probably knows for sure.

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Google "hull durbano toupee" and you will find many who remember it as I do, including a reference in the Free Press earlier this year. I believe it was when Durbano charged Hull from behind, but the remaining video of that is pretty inconclusive. I was sitting up in the $4.75 greys and it was nearly 40 years ago, so I may be misremembering. Weird that many others are misremembering the same thing, but stranger things have happened. Durbano is dead now so we can't ask him. Bobby probably knows for sure.

I was sitting in the Greys too (season tickets: section 6A, row 29, seat 1).

It was Hanson.

egg16

Jul 3, 2006
Definitely Hanson not Durbano who was involved in l'affair d'hair with Bobby Hull. That was in the Jets first round playoff series vs. the Bulls in 1978. A month or so earlier, during the regular season, Durbano charged off the bench and attacked Hull from behind during a skirmish, triggering the second bench-clearing brawl of the season between those teams. I was in attendance for both of those games. Crazy stuff.

Over the years, the facts of the story have been twisted. In a book by Scott Taylor, there is a page dedicated to the Hull rug incident which incorrectly attributes the deed to Durbano. That is just one of many factual errors in that particular book. But, yes it was Hanson who yanked off Bobby's hair. I even joked with him about the incident years later during a Hanson brothers signing session.

Further to the Hull toupee incident, it was interesting to note that Hull returned to the game some time later, not bald but with a Jofa helmet as worn by his line-mates, Ulfie and Anders. I've got a newspaper picture of that somewhere.

Man those were amazing times.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone else remember the time Gerry Cheevers threw his goalie stick from the bench to stop a Jet from scoring on a clean breakaway into the net he'd just vacated? They just gave Winnipeg the goal ... First time I'd ever heard of a goal being awarded where the puck hadn't actually gone in the net.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I remember that.

As for the Birmingham Bulls, wasn't it in the middle of a game against them that referee Ron Asselstine got so fed up that he skated off the ice and quit? After that, he was just a linesman for the rest of his career.

Penalty shots used to be so rare that I can believe that the Jets only ever had the one goal.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
Does anyone else remember the time Gerry Cheevers threw his goalie stick from the bench to stop a Jet from scoring on a clean breakaway into the net he'd just vacated? They just gave Winnipeg the goal ... First time I'd ever heard of a goal being awarded where the puck hadn't actually gone in the net.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I remember that.

As for the Birmingham Bulls, wasn't it in the middle of a game against them that referee Ron Asselstine got so fed up that he skated off the ice and quit? After that, he was just a linesman for the rest of his career.

Penalty shots used to be so rare that I can believe that the Jets only ever had the one goal.

I would love to see video of that!

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

You are referring to an incident that occurred during a Jets vs Aeros game in Houston on December 5, 1975.

Asseltine had assessed Gordie Howe and goaltender Ron Grahame misconducts and game misconducts. Howe was so insensed with the call that he acosted Asseltine physically. Asseltine's immediately left the ice and refused to come back.

Apparently he was already in the shower when Bobby Hull and the two coaches, Bobby Kromm and Bill Dineen were finally able to convince him to return and officiate the remainder of the game.

Asseltine was later quoted...

"When the man who's supposed to be the craftiest who ever played the game drives me in the guts, it's obvious I'm not the man for the job. I make $16,000 for doing this. It's not worth it when some guy making 10 times as much tries to take your head, off with his stick."

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
You are referring to an incident that occurred during a Jets vs Aeros game in Houston on December 5, 1975.

Asseltine had assessed Gordie Howe and goaltender Ron Grahame misconducts and game misconducts. Howe was so insensed with the call that he acosted Asseltine physically. Asseltine's immediately left the ice and refused to come back.

Apparently he was already in the shower when Bobby Hull and the two coaches, Bobby Kromm and Bill Dineen were finally able to convince him to return and officiate the remainder of the game.

Asseltine was later quoted...

"When the man who's supposed to be the craftiest who ever played the game drives me in the guts, it's obvious I'm not the man for the job. I make $16,000 for doing this. It's not worth it when some guy making 10 times as much tries to take your head, off with his stick."

Thanks! It's always interesting to see how accurate 40-year old memories are.

I'm looking at some old game programs from when I was a kid and on Jan. 18, 1976 vs. Whalers Asselstine was still listed as one of the seven WHA referees. By March 17, vs. Calgary, he's been moved down to linesman. No one has been moved up to replace him. After Denver/Ottawa folded mid-season, they wouldn't have had the potential of 7 games on one day anymore, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad