Value of: Not sure we can can do this? re: Ferland's rights

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Ok.....................just asking if we can do this and if there is any value to it?

Can the Canucks trade Ferland's rights to Arizona if the Canucks pay Ferlands un-insured contract? (Ferland is gone, and won't be back due to injury.) ($3,500,000 X 1 year)

Would Arizona be interested in that? For cap reason's and is there any value to it?

Just scamming and turning over rocks.............and don't know the answer........

Thanks

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Ok.....................just asking if we can do this and if there is any value to it?

Can the Canucks trade Ferland's rights to Arizona if the Canucks pay Ferlands un-insured contract? (Ferland is gone, and won't be back due to injury.) ($3,500,000 X 1 year)

Would Arizona be interested in that? For cap reason's and is there any value to it?

Just scamming and turning over rocks.............and don't know the answer........

Thanks
Value? Positive value? You mean Vancouver gets an asset back? Definitely not. If you find me someone, who is ready to pay me something to pay my mortgage, I give you a 25% provision.

The value is negative and you need to offer some sort of futures to motivate Arizona.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
No. You can’t do that. Players are paid weekly during the season. As soon as The player is traded his contract (and the responsibility for paying it) goes to the new team.

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So that the Canucks would pay Ferland the real money in full but Arizona would take the full cap hit? No can do. Blatant cap circumvention.

To facilitate this sort of moves to an extent, the CBA allows the prior team to retain up to 50 percent of the player's unpaid salary when the player gets traded. When the prior team agrees to retain X percent, that X percent applies similarly both to the actual paid money and the cap hit.

Ferland's actual salary for 2022-23 is $2.75M; you could build a trade around Ferland (50 percent retained) where both VAN and ARI would be in hook for $1.75M cap hit and $1.375M actual money. The trade would obviously need positive-value addition(s) coming from VAN.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Cap space is an asset that has value.

Weird that so many people think Arizona would be happy to give up cap space for nothing.

They have never had a problem getting to the cap floor. No team has ever had that problem, and never will.

If you want cap space, you have to pay for it. That's all.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
No, you can't trade someone's cap hit but keep paying them, regardless of if they're on LTIR or not. Otherwise the rich teams in cap trouble would be doing this every year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Thanks
Because he’s uninsured nobody will take him

your proposal is illegal and would be cap circumvention.

when it comes to team cap space ….think of this as real estate. Each year costs some money.

Reactions: zcaptain

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Thanks People!

I wonder if Vancouver can pay him out like a insurance claim and have him retire, because basically that is what it is, it is just that because it is un-insured, Vancouver is the under-writer.

But, Hey, thanks for the responses!

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Thanks People!

I wonder if Vancouver can pay him out like a insurance claim and have him retire, because basically that is what it is, it is just that because it is un-insured, Vancouver is the under-writer.

But, Hey, thanks for the responses!
No. As I said earlier players are paid weekly during the season. That’s how it works even when the players contract is insured. In addition the cap hit is calculated daily. The only two ways for Vancouver to be rid of his cap hit (even on LTIR) is to trade him or if he retires and forgoes his last year of salary. He clearly won’t retire before being paid out. So you’re left with trading him or working above the cap with LTIR (and hope you don’t have any rookie bonus’s this season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad