Blue Jays Discussion: Not quite leading the division <------- that's a little less cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
are the angles trying to catch up to Houston for the division or the 2nd wild card spot

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Regarding re-signing price: I have a hard time believing that a team who will net ~$51M in salary savings for next season does not have a good chance of signing a guy they want to keep.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
should the jays try for a combo deal with the padres for james shields and justin upton?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Regarding re-signing price: I have a hard time believing that a team who will net ~$51M in salary savings for next season does not have a good chance of signing a guy they want to keep.

its not all about the money, its about his decision to stay here

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Shields contract is pretty bad unless they eat 5m of it. We're about to pay through the nose for Price (if he decides to come back), I'd rather not acquire someone that hinders our ability to do that financially.

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Nope. Shields has performed very poorly and his contract is bad.

maybe we don't have to pay all of his contract, though he might be the 5th man in the rotation, the one that gets kept in the bullpen, but with Upton, the jays get an extra outfielder

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
its not all about the money, its about his decision to stay here

Exactly this, IMO....

If it was about money only, he would just say "I want 35 million, and Toronto has first choice of offering it to me" and, my guess is he would be signed.

A couple of days after the trade, I thought the Jays had no chance of resigning him.

I've upped my optimism to about 30% chance now.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I honestly think we're good at SP as long as we're getting Stroman back. Even if not, not sure how much of an upgrade Shields will be to Hutchison.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Having Shields instead of Hutchison for the rest of this year would put this team over the top.

I'd laugh my ass off if Rogers decides to open up the wallets (I mean REALLY open) and let AA trade for Shields AND also offer the money needed to re-sign Price.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
maybe we don't have to pay all of his contract, though he might be the 5th man in the rotation, the one that gets kept in the bullpen, but with Upton, the jays get an extra outfielder

Hutch might have 7 starts left. Shields has not had good performances in the playoffs. His bad contract and mediocre performance is enough for me to say no.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Shields is redundant and will just prevent us from either signing Price or bringing back Dickey next year.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Having Shields instead of Hutchison for the rest of this year would put this team over the top.

I'd laugh my ass off if Rogers decides to open up the wallets (I mean REALLY open) and let AA trade for Shields AND also offer the money needed to re-sign Price.

If they had the money to do that, I would rather see them pass on Shields and spend that money on someone else in the offseason.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

The incremental lift in production that James Shields would provide over Drew Hutchison is negligible and no where near worth saddling yourself with that contract.

I venture to go as far as to say Hutchison will be more productive than Shields for the remainder of the year.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Man, if Price decides to stay (I think our chances have definitely improved in the past 2 weeks), going into next season with

Price
Stroman
Dickey/Buehrle (If MB signs for <$10M, you can try to find a trade partner for Dickey)
Hutch
Osuna/Sanchez

I'd be more than happy with that and having the line-up in tact

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
Price will likely not re-sign here... I think the Jays should continue talks with the Indians for Carrasco.

Stroman
Carrasco
Dickey
Sanchez
Hutchison

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

If it was just about money then I'd agree.. But there's a lot of other factors that will weigh into his decision... I think he'll base this on his overall experience and so far, I think Toronto and the Blue Jays have done a great job. Definitely a good start.

When you say $51m, is that excluding Dickey's 12m option? With how he's pitched since June 1st I think we're crazy not to pick up that option... So that 51 goes to 39.. Then Donaldson will make probably 10 in arbitration.. So now we're at 29... But again, Rogers has it... I'm not so much concerned with the money...

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If it was just about money then I'd agree.. But there's a lot of other factors that will weigh into his decision... I think he'll base this on his overall experience and so far, I think Toronto and the Blue Jays have done a great job. Definitely a good start.

When you say $51m, is that excluding Dickey's 12m option? With how he's pitched since June 1st I think we're crazy not to pick up that option... So that 51 goes to 39.. Then Donaldson will make probably 10 in arbitration.. So now we're at 29... But again, Rogers has it... I'm not so much concerned with the money...

Built in raises for Martin and Donaldson. Does not include Dickey's option, or arb raises for other players.

If you qualify Dickey, it's ~$39M.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Built in raises for Martin and Donaldson. Does not include Dickey's option, or arb raises for other players.

If you qualify Dickey, it's ~$39M.

The Dickey option definitely gets picked up, it's just a matter of whether or not they try to trade him and spend the money elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad