Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
What cherry-picking? He's been pedestrian all but 1 or 2 series. Nitpicking here and there to argue against that would be cherry-picking.

Considering they've outplayed the Canucks the lion's share of the series, 'lack of effort' is a reasonable assertion.

The Oilers are losing this series more than the Canucks are winning it. C'est tout

I'm not sure why I bothered though, we will absolutely never agree on it. I have my biases and you have yours. I can understand having a soft spot for that team when you live in the city. Not my cup of tea, but I get it.
Strange to think I have some bias because I live in this city. I've never lived in Edmonton but that is my ride or die. No need to backhand slur me good sir.

Last night the Oilers were outworked and outplayed. Just ask them:

“They get a bounce. They probably deserved a bounce tonight. I thought they were the better team,” admitted Connor McDavid, who went without a point in 23:25 of ice time and five power plays. “They get a bounce at the end of the game and that's the way it was.”

“They played faster than we did,” said Zach Hyman. “We play our best when we're skating, getting the puck behind them and taking control of the pace. Obviously that wasn't the case in the second (period).”

“They were just out-changing, out-hustling us,” head coach Kris Knoblauch said. “(We were) just flipping the puck out. Yes, you get it out to the neutral zone and out of harm's way, but we can't get it 200 feet so we can be in the offensive zone. So we get fresh bodies out there. We didn't have the flow.”

Or the stat line:
A look down Sportlogiq’s game report isn’t pretty, from an Oilers perspective:

• Slot Shots on Net: 17-10 Vancouver.

• High Danger Chances: 16-9 Vancouver.

• Scoring Chances off the Cycle: 17-8 Vancouver.

Face-offs:
Team: 42%
McDavid: 50%
Draisaitl: 38.1%

Hits:
Oilers 23
Canucks 41

The series as a whole Edmonton has had strong territorial play and sub-par goaltending was kryptonite. As have been critical high danger turnovers by the likes of Bouchard and Foegele. Lots of big and small stuff in the margins.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Strange to think I have some bias because I live in this city. I've never lived in Edmonton but that is my ride or die. No need to backhand slur me good sir.

Last night the Oilers were outworked and outplayed. Just ask them:

“They get a bounce. They probably deserved a bounce tonight. I thought they were the better team,” admitted Connor McDavid, who went without a point in 23:25 of ice time and five power plays. “They get a bounce at the end of the game and that's the way it was.”

“They played faster than we did,” said Zach Hyman. “We play our best when we're skating, getting the puck behind them and taking control of the pace. Obviously that wasn't the case in the second (period).”

“They were just out-changing, out-hustling us,” head coach Kris Knoblauch said. “(We were) just flipping the puck out. Yes, you get it out to the neutral zone and out of harm's way, but we can't get it 200 feet so we can be in the offensive zone. So we get fresh bodies out there. We didn't have the flow.”

Or the stat line:
A look down Sportlogiq’s game report isn’t pretty, from an Oilers perspective:

• Slot Shots on Net: 17-10 Vancouver.

• High Danger Chances: 16-9 Vancouver.

• Scoring Chances off the Cycle: 17-8 Vancouver.

Face-offs:
Team: 42%
McDavid: 50%
Draisaitl: 38.1%

Hits:
Oilers 23
Canucks 41

The series as a whole Edmonton has had strong territorial play and sub-par goaltending was kryptonite. As have been critical high danger turnovers by the likes of Bouchard and Foegele. Lots of big and small stuff in the margins.

Not really meant to slur you, you wouldn't be the only one I've met that has grown soft to their local team even if they primarily cheer for a rival. If that's not the case, I apologize

Oh for sure, they were outplayed but it takes two to tango. There was a lack of effort and will that accompanied it, credit to the "underdogs" for taking advantage of the Oilers illness / lack of will etc. There will always be cases where one team is "winning" more than "losing" a series and this series if lost by the Oilers, was theirs to lose. They are the better team, but like you said, sub-par goaltending being the primary culprit and some key support players making mistakes at critical times. Bouchard I will cut plenty of slack for as he has the two sole GWG and has been a primary offensive driver these playoffs.

I'm still bewildered at the lack of changes by the coach, I have a hard time seeing Gagner (warts and all) being worse than the worst of the forwards, for example. If Henrique and Carrick are too injured to play, then that's understandable. If not, poor lineup decision again. Ceci is tougher to take out due to PK but still think Stecher should have had a look earlier in the series. Must win game may not be a great time to bring him in, though

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Perry plays next game, I don't think we will win. Our 4th line was good because they could skate. Perry tanked his line. Imagine Carrick or even Gagner. Dare I dream that Henrique could finally play again? Get him that healing chamber from DBZ

Reactions: Oilhawks

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It would be amazing if we goalie'd another team in the playoffs. I can't think of a playoff game during the Mcdavid era where we got completely dominated but our goalie steals us the win yet it's happened to us so many times.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I had belief in him and Chiarelli and later Holland and Tippett but as it turns out I am a sucker for a good sales pitch and embarrassed I believed in the Burgerman. I actually started doubting the plan after trying a burger at a game and it was cold and gross. Maybe one of worst burgers I’ve ever had and I consider myself an expert on that particular food genre.

I posted this last year after Tippet was fired / I don’t care who you are or what your credentials are anymore. There is only 1 bottom line for me - winning. There are no more excuses with our two stars in their prime.

All I know is that if we f*** this up (the McDavid years)It will be the most Oiler thing we’ve ever done or ever could do thanks to one man - Bobby Burgers.
Thanks for being good natured about it. We all got our moments and takes man. cheers

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
^ If we blow the McDavid years it will be because we didn't prioritize having a consistent number one in net. A MAF type.^

Personally I chalk the loss up to the PP. Were doing cartwheels if we score a couple of more.

F**k me! we make a bold move putting Pickard in, he plays the game of his life and we completely blow it.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I absolutely loved Rishaug asking over and over again in the post game what happened on the last goal. Shaugger played in the dub, and he knows exactly happened.

He's sick and tired of being sick and tired. There is just no accountability. Calling the last goal a bad bounce is a joke when the guy whose stick it ended up on came off the bench without being covered.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Not really meant to slur you, you wouldn't be the only one I've met that has grown soft to their local team even if they primarily cheer for a rival. If that's not the case, I apologize

Oh for sure, they were outplayed but it takes two to tango. There was a lack of effort and will that accompanied it, credit to the "underdogs" for taking advantage of the Oilers illness / lack of will etc. There will always be cases where one team is "winning" more than "losing" a series and this series if lost by the Oilers, was theirs to lose. They are the better team, but like you said, sub-par goaltending being the primary culprit and some key support players making mistakes at critical times. Bouchard I will cut plenty of slack for as he has the two sole GWG and has been a primary offensive driver these playoffs.

I'm still bewildered at the lack of changes by the coach, I have a hard time seeing Gagner (warts and all) being worse than the worst of the forwards, for example. If Henrique and Carrick are too injured to play, then that's understandable. If not, poor lineup decision again. Ceci is tougher to take out due to PK but still think Stecher should have had a look earlier in the series. Must win game may not be a great time to bring him in, though
A quick post before I overindulge with beerskis on our roof with a couple fellow Oiler fans and a Maple Leafer (haha).

I was being a bit cheeky with you. I respect your opinions and our conversations also help me to see blindspots in my own opinions. Much appreciated.

With the Canucks, I saw them play Calgary in pre-season and completely shut them down. I felt Rutherford completely rebuilt this team with big d and really solid bottom six versatile centre men. And that Tocchet was a really good coach. Told my kin folk from out these parts that I predicted the Canucks would be a playoff team. They didn't buy it. Then seeing the first two regular season games here, it showed a different team and mentality was taking root (in these routes).

Knoblauch has been a significant upgrade on Woodcroft. Better handle on roster deployment and in-game management. But he's falling shot against Tocchet who is better utilizing their depth and running through walls and Oilers with their game plan. Oil looked and played tired last night. A winnable game but they left it on the table in the first period with early PP misses. Extend the lead with your 'Big Five' and whole different game. However the Canucks stick around in games, again that's belief through their coach, and pounce on mistakes with a very thin margin between the teams right now.

Time to drink. Thank you and aways appreciate the dialogue.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The damage like what exactly? When Holland arrived we were a perrenial bottom feeder. He turned us into a perennial playoff team. I know which I prefer

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL, who in their right f***ing mind can defend Ken Holland anymore at this point? Congrats for turning this team into a perennial playoff team with nothing to show for it. Can't even win their division or win a game in the western conference final. Might as well put up a banner for making the playoffs or get a participation ribbon. Give me a break.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
^ If we blow the McDavid years it will be because we didn't prioritize having a consistent number one in net. A MAF type.^

Personally I chalk the loss up to the PP. Were doing cartwheels if we score a couple of more.

F**k me! we make a bold move putting Pickard in, he plays the game of his life and we completely blow it.
“IF we blow the McDavid years….”?
We are perilously close to completing that task
And
I’ve been saying for years that it’s because this team has never committed to playing soundly in their own end.
I don’t know why it has been like that. It’s an attitude that’s prevailed through a number of players, coaches and GMs.
I suspect that oddly enough, it began with someone “who’s knows a thing or two about winning” (in my opinion all he really knows about is washing Gretzkys, Kurris, Messiers, Coffeys, Greggs, Fuhrs and Moogs jock straps).

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I asked this before, and lets hope we win the next 2 games and move on to the next round which I haven’t given up on but not hopeful. If the only team we can beat again next year is LA and we see the same flaws with the roster not addressed does Drai decide to test free agency and walk? What would you do if you were him? Not out of the realm of possibility.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It would be amazing if we goalie'd another team in the playoffs. I can't think of a playoff game during the Mcdavid era where we got completely dominated but our goalie steals us the win yet it's happened to us so many times.

For whatever reason goaltending has never been a priority in this organisation.
We currently have our AHL goalie in net because our young goalie in his second NHL season can't play under pressure. Of course he shouldn't be in the position to start in the playoffs is because he was supposed to be our backup. Our backup to a goalie that we signed a 5m/5 year contract to be our starter. Which, after the first half of the first season, proved he's not an NHL starting goalie. Before we signed this fake NHL goalie to this ridiculous contract, we were splitting starts between a 39 year old goalie at the end of his career and a veteran goalie we signed from the KHL. Despite this organisation giving KHL goalie a $4.5m contract after about 20 games, the rest of the league decided he wasn't worth an NHL contract when his time ended in Edmonton. Ironically, the old guy has been the best goalie McDavid's played in front of. We had to get the old guy because the goalie before him was allowing a goal on the first shot of about every 2nd game we played. He since has played for 5 teams in the following 5 years. We played him this year in the first round where he also was replaced by a backup goalie by tye the end of the series.

and that's the goaltending history of McDavid's Oiler career.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
For whatever reason goaltending has never been a priority in this organisation.
We currently have our AHL goalie in net because our young goalie in his second NHL season can't play under pressure. Of course he shouldn't be in the position to start in the playoffs is because he was supposed to be our backup. Our backup to a goalie that we signed a 5m/5 year contract to be our starter. Which, after the first half of the first season, proved he's not an NHL starting goalie. Before we signed this fake NHL goalie to this ridiculous contract, we were splitting starts between a 39 year old goalie at the end of his career and a veteran goalie we signed from the KHL. Despite this organisation giving KHL goalie a $4.5m contract after about 20 games, the rest of the league decided he wasn't worth an NHL contract when his time ended in Edmonton. Ironically, the old guy has been the best goalie McDavid's played in front of. We had to get the old guy because the goalie before him was allowing a goal on the first shot of about every 2nd game we played. He since has played for 5 teams in the following 5 years. We played him this year in the first round where he also was replaced by a backup goalie by tye the end of the series.

and that's the goaltending history of McDavid's Oiler career.

Add in somehow Dustin Schwartz has still been employed by the organization. Meanwhile, Ian Clark has done wonders for the canucks goalies similar to Sean Burke and VGK. How Schwartz is still employed is truly mind-boggling.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Canucks badly outhit the Oilers last night and it wasnt because they didnt have the puck.

I think that part of what we are seeing here is a bigger more physical team wearing down a team that cant really match the physicality.
This team isnt built to be a physical team. Aside from Kane, Nurse (sometimes) and Holloway they are playing out of their comfort zone in these types of situations.
Vancouver has a lot more players (back end and front end) that not only seem comfortable with the physicality but they are happy to initiate.
This team is for the most part made up of players that (given a choice) would not play a physical game.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Canucks badly outhit the Oilers last night and it wasnt because they didnt have the puck.

I think that part of what we are seeing here is a bigger more physical team wearing down a team that cant really match the physicality.
This team isnt built to be a physical team. Aside from Kane, Nurse (sometimes) and Holloway they are playing out of their comfort zone in these types of situations.
Vancouver has a lot more players (back end and front end) that not only seem comfortable with the physicality but they are happy to initiate.
This team is for the most part made up of players that (given a choice) would not play a physical game.
Should have gone after Maroon or even Kostin at deadline. Wouldn't have cost much .

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A quick post before I overindulge with beerskis on our roof with a couple fellow Oiler fans and a Maple Leafer (haha).

I was being a bit cheeky with you. I respect your opinions and our conversations also help me to see blindspots in my own opinions. Much appreciated.

With the Canucks, I saw them play Calgary in pre-season and completely shut them down. I felt Rutherford completely rebuilt this team with big d and really solid bottom six versatile centre men. And that Tocchet was a really good coach. Told my kin folk from out these parts that I predicted the Canucks would be a playoff team. They didn't buy it. Then seeing the first two regular season games here, it showed a different team and mentality was taking root (in these routes).

Knoblauch has been a significant upgrade on Woodcroft. Better handle on roster deployment and in-game management. But he's falling shot against Tocchet who is better utilizing their depth and running through walls and Oilers with their game plan. Oil looked and played tired last night. A winnable game but they left it on the table in the first period with early PP misses. Extend the lead with your 'Big Five' and whole different game. However the Canucks stick around in games, again that's belief through their coach, and pounce on mistakes with a very thin margin between the teams right now.

Time to drink. Thank you and aways appreciate the dialogue.
I think it might be time for Oiler fans to substitute the "we sucked the first dozen games of the season" to" a good part of the sucking of the first dozen games was having to play Vancouver in 3 of them." I hate them, but it's long past time to give them their due. This isn't due to "puck luck" or "insane shooting percentages" anymore.
Also, how many teams have a disgruntled 39 goal scorer from the previous season that they can dangle as trade bait for an upgrade? Rutherford has done a very good job.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

This is the softest Oiler playoff team in their history. They’re not built for a long, physical series and game 5 showed how worn out our top players are. When you watched Nashville play the Canucks they punished them almost every chance they got and almost took the series to 7 games when they probably should have been out in 4. The Canucks will potentially go into the next round like they just played some preseason games against us.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I keep thinking back to Nuge missing the net at the beginning of the game, where he had the chance to put them up 2-0

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Let's not fall apart fellas.
I know the team kind of did but we're still right there.
That’s a great point
I see a lot of excuses and blaming going on here (me included), yet Vancouver needs to win another and this team is capable of beating the Canucks 2 games in a row.
Let’s complain about more important things
Is it possible to get more annoying, resource taxing pop up ads on here?

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
That’s a great point
I see a lot of excuses and blaming going on here (me included), yet Vancouver needs to win another and this team is capable of beating the Canucks 2 games in a row.
Let’s complain about more important things
Is it possible to get more annoying, resource taxing pop up ads on here?

It probably is!
It's gotten so bad on mobile that when I go to post I have to wait as an ad shows up right on top of the post button. What a joke

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
This is the softest Oiler playoff team in their history. They’re not built for a long, physical series and game 5 showed how worn out our top players are. When you watched Nashville play the Canucks they punished them almost every chance they got and almost took the series to 7 games when they probably should have been out in 4. The Canucks will potentially go into the next round like they just played some preseason games against us.
Remember how Holland left Detroit? Old, slow, soft, capped out with brutal contracts ,no prospects. He’s doing the exact same here, except we have 97 and 29.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad