Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Trust me I'd love to be wrong. Asked about it I'll answer. Their team was underrated by some all year. Underrated by most hockey people coming into this series. And here we are. I never saw Miller outplaying McDavid. Always viewed Boeser as soft, finesse. That we could easily beat a non-Demko team.
Nucks have been immensely helped by the D and physicality of Zadorov who just happens to be playing best hockey of his life and Lindholm who has been solid in playoffs. Most of the Nucks, the vast majority, that they had in regular season, they haven't even been good in playoffs. Several being zero boxcars while not adding much else.

The run around like the whole team is on Bennies generally lasts for one season. Seattle Kracked just had such a season last year and it too predictably fell apart like a stack of cards.

Man even LA Kings were kicking the Nucks teeth in all season. The Oilers for some reason have mental blocks playing this club.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Knob says on the game winning goal we got confused with our responsbilities. You had McD lagging behind Miller on the rebound. I wonder if McD f***ed up. McD also had that bad double coverage mistake in game 3 too.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
There is a lot of subjective speculation on both ends here so agree to disagree on the first three paragraphs.

And the last part, I'll reiterate people were dreaming thinking that the team that shit the bed in the beginning of the season, and stumbled towards the end were real contenders. This was a total trap series with a coach that's overmatched and only a handful of players showing up to play (not including the vaunted appointed starter, unfortunately, and the best player in the world that has 1 entire goal this series). Again, Oilers are making this team look better than they are. Will be a harsh reality check for Canucks fans and boosters when they meet a team ready to play. Two more chances for the Oilers to be that team
It's the second round of the playoffs. The trap series are usually first round. Who's saying the Canucks were/are real contenders? They're a team that moved from non-playoff to first, a huge jump but one that looks like developmental growth of a team moving into regular playoff status. This is their Stanley Cup after being terrible for a good stretch of seasons. It's house money.

Unfortunately the Oil haven't played to their potential enough. Their problems have still been problems. But sadly it's a team in a different phase of development that's sputtering on second round and need two big wins to move on. They can do it but it's a razor fine line in a tight, highly contested series. Pickard has been a godsend, especially tonight.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, I was thinking the same. McD can hardly elevate the puck and he's hesitant to shoot. Injured right from the start of the season.
Any ideas on when, what this is specifically? Because this has been McD from start of season, game 1.

One inconsistent bit though. McD more than ever is trying that play where he bounced it in off some goalies ear. really I wish he'd stop. he tried it again tonight. It hasn't worked in around 5mths. he can certainly elevate the puck. Maybe not with much mustard on it.

With McD, really, it seems the same as always. That not only does he not elevate for playoffs, he's not even as good in the playoffs. If he doesn't change this it will become a narrative. A great player obviously, but in the history of hockey a lot of greatest players that have names on cups have better production in playoffs, and better goal scoring in playoffs. Drai is checkng all those boxes. Too bad it seems like Connor spends too much energy in regular season. Still hasn't learned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
By who exactly? The entire league was drinking the KoolAid after the hot start. People here won't like to hear it, but the Oilers are actually the underdogs here. The Canucks have home ice and had the better regular season (overall) and swept the season series. Yes, none of these things "really" matter, until they do.

And it wouldn't be the first time some talking heads at ESPN made an embarrassing decision to push the "odds" favourite, just ask the 2022 Flames who were expected to easily handle the Oilers, and didn't.
We really should have went into this series with the underdog mindset. But that was stolen from us, with everyone marking us as the favorites. Oh well, we are definitely the underdogs now having to win 2 in a row. Maybe that gets the Oilers to realize they need to play their best and lay it all on the line if they expect to move on.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Any ideas on when, what this is specifically? Because this has been McD from start of season, game 1.

One inconsistent bit though. McD more than ever is trying that play where he bounced it in off some goalies ear. really I wish he'd stop. he tried it again tonight. It hasn't worked in around 5mths. he can certainly elevate the puck. Maybe not with much mustard on it.

I believe his injury had to start against the jets on Oct 21. Then it looked reaggravated against the flames a month ago.

I just can't believe McDavid's playing 100%. Lack of explosiveness in his skating and often wanting to pass the puck rather than shoot it. He's still fast, but there's a second gear shift in his skating that I haven't seen for awhile.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nucks have been immensely helped by the D and physicality of Zadorov who just happens to be playing best hockey of his life and Lindholm who has been solid in playoffs. Most of the Nucks, the vast majority, that they had in regular season, they haven't even been good in playoffs. Several being zero boxcars while not adding much else.

The run around like the whole team is on Bennies generally lasts for one season. Seattle Kracked just had such a season last year and it too predictably fell apart like a stack of cards.

Man even LA Kings were kicking the Nucks teeth in all season. The Oilers for some reason have mental blocks playing this club.
Rutherford, probably with Tocchet and Foote's directive, completely rebuilt their defense with big, physical d-men, cap tip to Cole who is going literal toe to toe with Nurse for own goals it seems. Agree, it's unfortunate Calgary acting as a minor league resource for Vancouver and Dallas opted to deal these two to Vancouver. They've both been significant factors.

Kraken are an entirely different team as an expansion franchise. Greatly overachieved expectation but their path under Francis was always going to be a longer, more steady build than the Vegas miracle. They'll probably miss again next year. But they're building up young talent. Canucks have more to work with and management that is proven with Cup championships. Can see the Canucks slipping back (would be surprised if Vegas isn't challenging for the division championship again) but still now a regular playoff team.

I was at a Kings Canucks game where it was like an anaconda squeezing the life out of Bambi. But as you say for this year the Oilers haven't proven able to solve the Canucks. Despite the embarrassing early losses. And I was at that opening 8-1 loss.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We really should have went into this series with the underdog mindset. But that was stolen from us, with everyone marking us as the favorites. Oh well, we are definitely the underdogs now having to win 2 in a row. Maybe that gets the Oilers to realize they need to play their best and lay it all on the line if they expect to move on.
Hours later I'm thinking that McDrai and company cannot let the season end on that sorry note in Vancouver and continue in that vein. Nor would they play so poorly at home. So with that in mind, knowing what they can bring to a game, I suspect a game 6 win now. Maybe I'm just tired and need sleep. heh.

But I still can't see taking two games back, and even if they do its just prelude to having nothing left for next series. This is no way to go on a big run. Nucks are he easiest 2nd round opponent any team is facing.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
You're the one who actually pointed out last season that brutal crosscheck from McNabb towards the end of last season. He scored 8 goals in the playoffs last year but I don't remember if he looked off in the LA or VKG series with his shooting. Could be a lingering issue.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I believe his injury had to start against the jets on Oct 21. Then it looked reaggravated against the flames a month ago.

I just can't believe McDavid's playing 100%. Lack of explosiveness in his skating and often wanting to pass the puck rather than shoot it. He's still fast, but there's a second gear shift in his skating that I haven't seen for awhile.

I dunno He looks like he's shot out of a cannon every game coming out. Thansk for the clip. I don't remember what happened to him in October game.

You're the one who actually pointed out last season that brutal crosscheck from McNabb towards the end of last season. He scored 8 goals in the playoffs last year but I don't remember if he looked off in the LA or VKG series with his shooting. Could be a lingering issue.
Damn memory. lol. I should make crib notes.

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Fantastic

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nurse on the ice for two goals against again. Hated his slow response to Lindholm with the puck on 3GA. Hated that he stood there in the passing lane and yet again couldn’t come up with a defensive play. Can’t fully blame Nurse on this one though, there’s a lucky bounce and confused coverage by McD/Hyman.

On 1GA Nurse is standing in the slot. Standing in the right spot to cover the top corner of the net while also not blocking Pickards sight line. Everything looks good until the shot comes and Nurse moves AWAY from blocking the shot going top corner.

Dude f***in sucks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kraken are an entirely different team as an expansion franchise. Greatly overachieved expectation but their path under Francis was always going to be a longer, more steady build than the Vegas miracle. They'll probably miss again next year. But they're building up young talent. Canucks have more to work with and management that is proven with Cup championships. Can see the Canucks slipping back (would be surprised if Vegas isn't challenging for the division championship again) but still now a regular playoff team.

I was at a Kings Canucks game where it was like an anaconda squeezing the life out of Bambi. But as you say for this year the Oilers haven't proven able to solve the Canucks. Despite the embarrassing early losses. And I was at that opening 8-1 loss.
Its all your fault! ;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hours later I'm thinking that McDrai and company cannot let the season end on that sorry note in Vancouver and continue in that vein. Nor would they play so poorly at home. So with that in mind, knowing what they can bring to a game, I suspect a game 6 win now. Maybe I'm just tired and need sleep. heh.

But I still can't see taking two games back, and even if they do it’s just prelude to having nothing left for next series. This is no way to go on a big run. Nucks are he easiest 2nd round opponent any team is facing.
You know what Drai can do at the very least if you are a bit down on McD at the moment. Drai himself can take over and get us a W or 2. And yeh there’s no way they no show at home, they’ll carry us in game 6. Game 7 will be a crapshoot, but one we can surprise and steal a win if L our top guys are clicking. This season ain’t over tilll it’s over. Knobs pressed 95% of the right buttons this season imo, have to have some faith in him for games 6-7.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nurse on the ice for two goals against again. Hated his slow response to Lindholm with the puck on 3GA. Hated that he stood there in the passing lane and yet again couldn’t come up with a defensive play. Can’t fully blame Nurse on this one though, there’s a lucky bounce and confused coverage by McD/Hyman.

On 1GA Nurse is standing in the slot. Standing in the right spot to cover the top corner of the net while also not blocking Pickards sight line. Everything looks good until the shot comes and Nurse moves AWAY from blocking the shot going top corner.

Dude f***in sucks.
meh. Even one goal from our PP tonight and one goal from our top 5 all world unit and we win the game. Can't really blame this one on D as much as lack of offense. Our whole topsix only got one goal. Our PP got zero. They are at fault for this one. 2 goals doesn't get any wins in this series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Handling adversity and resilience, we’ve been hearing that shit all year long about this team. We’re definately facing that right now. Team will respond.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Handling adversity and resilience, we’ve been hearing that shit all year long about this team. We’re definately facing that right now. Team will respond.

I have too much PTSD and disappointment especially after last year's loss to VGK to have expectations or hope tbh. They had secondary scoring from Janmark and good goaltending from Pickard tonight aka two things that they've lacked in and still lost. Just way too many passengers once again on the team this year along with the team constantly shooting themselves in the foot.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
meh. Even one goal from our PP tonight and one goal from our top 5 all world unit and we win the game. Can't really blame this one on D as much as lack of offense. Our whole topsix only got one goal. Our PP got zero. They are at fault for this one. 2 goals doesn't get any wins in this series.
Yeh for sure. 0 for 5 on the PP isn’t this team, we know that. One goal there and this script is entirely different tonight. The margins were thin tonight and we ultimately lost in the 59th minute. I agree that it was more our lack of offence rather than lack of D that killed us tonight. The Bouch mistake is glaring but it’s not like the Nucks didn’t make mistakes, we just didn’t capitalize. Could be an entire different story moving forward with just some better bounces for our offence. We got this. Games 6-7 will be ours.

I have too much PTSD and disappointment especially after last year's loss to VGK to have expectations or hope tbh. They had secondary scoring from Janmark and good goaltending from Pickard tonight aka two things that they've lacked in and still lost. Just way too many passengers once again on the team this year along with the team constantly shooting themselves in the foot.
But on the flip side the things we can always rely on, dominance from the PP and McDrai were missing. We get that back and it could easily Be a win tonight and moving forward.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeh for sure. 0 for 5 on the PP isn’t this team, we know that. One goal there and this script is entirely different tonight. The margins were thin tonight and we ultimately lost in the 59th minute. I agree that it was more our lack of offence rather than lack of D that killed us tonight. The Bouch mistake is glaring but it’s not like the Nucks didn’t make mistakes, we just didn’t capitalize. Could be an entire different story moving forward with just some better bounces for our offence. We got this. Games 6-7 will be ours.

But on the flip side the things we can always rely on, dominance from the PP and McDrai were missing. We get that back and it could easily Be a win tonight and moving forward.

McDrai showing up can be expected. Its everything else that's a major concern imo.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDrai showing up can be expected. It’s everything else that's a major concern imo.
Expected for sure, but be sure not to underestimate them. Them going off could be enough for a W despite the other issues we have. Other issues are somewhat concerning but Picks has been solid. Bouchs mistake was uncharacteristic of how he’s played in these playoffs and this series, a completely avoidable mistake too. He could easily normalize and start Bouch bombing for Ws again. Line 4 has been good and earned the production they finally got. PP1 will rebound. Kulak and Vinny still getting the job done. Nurse and Ceci unfortunately will be an ever- constant worry, we’ve survived them so far though, so here’s hoping.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sure. But specialization addresses needs more directly and impactfully. Why get the guy who’s half decent at center and half decent at wing when you just need a fully good wing. And/or a fully good RD to replace Ceci.

I agree Henrique is very very Nuge like. But like, we didn’t lose in past playoffs cause we didn’t have enough Nuges. You don’t take the load off McDrai by adding complemtary players, you add more drivers. And you address directly the weaknesses this team has. For this year it was at Wing and at RD.
That’s what I said lol. We don’t disagree.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
how on earth do they come out and drop that deuce?

and what the hell is going on with McDavid? 0 points in two losses that were one goal games? if we don't win the series, he's going to be on the list of culprits as well..

Reactions: Kerberos

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Nah, not happening with this team. To quote an old coach of mine: A good try is a poor execution.

Except these losers don't even try, they just execute poorly and call it a day.

Reactions: Kerberos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad