Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
They at least tried to go all in with moves like Guentzel and Kuznetsov.
Us? Carrick, Henrique, and Stecher. Most passive f***ing of deadline moves a GM could make. Especially in his final year as GM with two of the best players in the world, that's his 'going out with a bang' type of trades.
Yes exaclty. Can you imagine how pissed off drai must be never in 9 years having a winger the calibre of guentzel? He's stuck with 9 variations of Foegele and khaira?
Canucks were up against the cap. The Canucks front office managed to dump contracts to create space
Yeah I mean the Canucks decided to be all in this year. All their dmen aside from Hughes need a contract. Oel is in the books at 4.5mil for a few years.

They decided to go all in this year lindholm will want 8mil. They don't care if they can't resign him.

Reactions: McAsuno

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Face offs are only one part of the game.

They played like they were afraid of their own shadows. Never seen them so timid before. Even in the Colorado series when the Avs were up 3-0 they didn’t play like this.
Flaccid PP was a killer. Failing those early power players was a major factor. Canucks were on their heels early and took that momentum and build on it. Without face-off wins, the Oilers were not able to establish their puck possession game and had very little sustained o-zone time. Defensively they were on their heels with primarily flipping pucks to the neutral zone which the Canucks scooped up and took back into the Oilers zone.

Edmonton was outworked by a faster, harder and more aggressive team tonight. Lots of elements where the Oilers just weren't good enough. Afraid? I don't think so. They didn't really have any answers in any capacity.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I don’t either. But you know I hated the fit for our needs. Winger and Right D was the need. No f***in idea how we went with two centers. And Knob is playing Mcleod in the 3 hole anyways cause he trusts Mcleod defensively which was always confirmed and backed up by analytics that he could get the job done defensively.

So in Hollands mind did he think he was “upgrading” Mcleod to Henrique. And we’d convert the young center into a top 6 wing that he’s not shown he can be? Seems dumb to me.

Then you got Carrick, who’s like what? A slightly better Erne. WTF needle was that going to move.

Meanwhile Ceci continues to tank every pairing we have.

That's the problem and what I was concerned about heading into the playoffs. The moves for Henrique, Carrick, and Stecher were just lateral moves at best. They're not bad pieces, but they won't move the needle enough. Team needed a top four D all season long after watching how dog shit Ceci is but chose not to go for it. They needed a top 6 scoring winger to help support McDrai and give them an actual sniper instead of fishing for the disappointments of Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Brown, etc and failed to do so too.

Yet even so, the 3 players the Oilers acquired have done f*** all at best for this team in the post season. Stecher/Broberg should be in for Ceci. Carrick should at least be in for an underwhelming Perry who looks like his age has got the best of him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The new GM will have a much more difficult time building a cup winner in a 1 year window. Draisaitl does not re-sign will create an entire new decision tree to be planted. Not a summer for the feint of heart if you're an Oiler fan.
It kinda feels a bit like the situation following Chiarelli's strip mining left an expensive lottery team with little NHL positional depth. Going to need an experienced hand I think to navigate this critical phase. Doesn't have to be a dinosaur but definitely someone that has NHL GM experience, imo.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
My feeling with KK and Coffey is that they are scrimmage, practice, preparedness coaches. All of what they do occurs between games. I don't see that they are strong in within game managment. Tochett is sure winning that battle.

The other thing though which is fair bringing up because it often matters. Tocchet is a coach player thats been in the dance a lot. Been all the way to the final. Etc. So he not only gets the attention of that and the type of hardworking NHL player he was, he has all of it to draw on and give his team. KK of course being beat in that way but nothing he can really do to equal Tochett on those measures.

Showing the clear differences between a veteran coach and rookie coach. Knob gets his praises for being all calm and collected, but even during a time when your team is playing so f***ing passive, the last thing the coach should be is standing there all calmly. Just inexcusable coaching by him in this series. It was okay against a 1-3-1 kings that once again got coached not to attack even if they're down a goal or two, but against Tocchet and the canucks? That's just asking for failure.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This team isn’t winning game 6. Coach and players treating it like regular season. Holland’s era will end with nothing accomplished.
One wonders what the Oilers think either of the TDL and Perry and Brown additions or of the lack of their usage, which ultimately contributes to a feeling of "we got no help"

it was the worst offseason by Holland. We got no significant pieces and as much as I liked the Henrique addition if he can't play and we gave up so much to get him. Real bad look, more mismanagement.

Seems like the team have fairly constant doubts about where they are. Worried about that early in season and theh we got the coach change which I figured would spur the group on but here we are again.

haha maybe they come back in series and all this navel gazing ends up looking silly.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Let’s not forget Foegele. This is 3 years in a row now of absolutely nothing. But foegele has decided to surprise us this year by being less than nothing and actively hurting us too. Foegele was probably an Archie pick too, who probably got enamoured with Foegeles size and speed but didn’t realize he has hands of stone and rocks for brains.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Can't blame Draisaitl if he chooses not to re-sign. Guy's been a points producing machine in the playoffs and the moronic f***ing management still can't help build a good secondary cast to support him to this day. Infuriating to see even more as a fan.

Not at all. If he chooses not to sign this summer it just means whoever takes over the helm from Dipshit #2 (Holland) has to answer do we run the year with him and risk losing him for nothing as an "own rental" or move him this summer at peak value? Difficult decision indeed.

Holland allowed Larsson to go the year and we lost him for nothing which severely hurt this team.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
We got so screwed by Chia and Holland. A decent gm had an absolutely golden opportunity with McDrai.

Think back to 2015.. if our gm just sat back for a couple years after drafting McDavid and built up some assets. We could have had Hall/Larsson, Barzal, Tkachuk, Eberle as well as RNH, McDrai and maybe Bouch.

Holland did make a couple good trades, Hyman and Ekholm are fantastic but maybe any legit top 6 forward or top 4 dman would fit magically with McDrai. Kane was outstanding until his freak accident.

All these years with McDavid and we have no depth scoring, not much of a 2nd line (if we load up McDrai there’s no 2nd line and if we split them Drai could use better wingers), a decent defense that just needs a legit RD - glaring hole for years now. And of course we’ve been missing a real starting goalie this entire time.

These guys have traded plenty of picks, we should have some of the pieces we need considering the assets we’ve spent.

Jackson really has to nail this next GM selection. We need a GM with a brain and some f***ing balls because they need to make changes fast. Like shed some cap at the draft fast. It needs to turn around this summer if we wanna keep Draisaitl.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Let’s not forget Foegele. This is 3 years in a row now of absolutely nothing. But foegele has decided to surprise us this year by being less than nothing and actively hurting us too. Foegele was probably an Archie pick too, who probably got enamoured with Foegeles size and speed but didn’t realize he has the hands stone and rocks for brains.
Another stupid player that the team's core advocated to keep. If anything, him, Ceci, and Brown have shown that the GM should have the final say on what to do and not the players themselves. Friendships shouldn't matter more than winning the Stanley Cup. How Holland softly caved in just makes him a coward bitch of a GM.
Not at all. If he chooses not to sign this summer it just means whoever takes over the helm from Dipshit #2 (Holland) has to answer do we run the year with him and risk losing him for nothing as an "own rental" or move him this summer at peak value? Difficult decision indeed.

Holland allowed Larsson to go the year and we lost him for nothing which severely hurt this team.

I still think Leo will re-sign here personally. Just can't make a 3rd consecutive mistake of hiring another dog shit GM like Chiarelli and Holland to start. Take the actual f***ing time for a GM this time rather than go for hockey canada connection like shitburger Nicholson did.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The new GM will have a much more difficult time building a cup winner in a 1 year window. Draisaitl does not re-sign will create an entire new decision tree to be planted. Not a summer for the feint of heart if you're an Oiler fan.

Hey, save some panic for the rest of us! :sarcasm: The GM was going to have some work to do even if they ended up winning the Cup (an absolute pipe dream after that shit start to the season). If Leon decides he wants to go to some scrub team to try to build his own legacy, the GM will have some nice assets coming back

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Holland not only painted himself into a corner, he kicked the poison pill a year deeper into the calendar so the next GM has an absolute toxic mess to deal with. All the bonus overages combined with the Nurse and Campbell contracts, what a completely f***ing useless GM. Hopefully his mismanagement of the Oilers and post 2009 wings forever stains his legacy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Showing the clear differences between a veteran coach and rookie coach. Knob gets his praises for being all calm and collected, but even during a time when your team is playing so f***ing passive, the last thing the coach should be is standing there all calmly. Just inexcusable coaching by him in this series. It was okay against a 1-3-1 kings that once again got coached not to attack even if they're down a goal or two, but against Tocchet and the canucks? That's just asking for failure.
i get you but honestly I'm a Doboer fan. You get one expression from him and one expression only. it could be a card board cutout during games. Some coaches, and some people are just like that. With that you get the good and bad in that. The good is that generally your team plays with more control and consistency and less distraction. The bad is that you don't get the coach jumping around in the playoffs looking for passion. Would be hard for a certain personality to be both.
At the end of the day the players also know KK is just interim here. Maybe he can't really be freaking out or calling out shit like that. I think he should ftr. But he may not feel that way from an employment POV.
Coaches can very quickly lose their jobs outright in todays world of pro sports if it goes the wrong way with players. See, thats the thing, Tocchet can go that extra mile with players and not have them question him because they know full well its just what he did as a player. Theres a value in that.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Holland not only painted himself into a corner, he kicked the poison pill a year deeper into the calendar so the next GM has an absolute toxic mess to deal with. All the bonus overages combined with the Nurse and Campbell contracts, what a completely f***ing useless GM. Hopefully his mismanagement of the Oilers and post 2009 wings stains his legacy.

Shouldn't even be in the HOF. Just rode the coattails of Hakan Andersson's drafting in Detroit. Biggest fraud of a GM.

i get you but honestly I'm a Doboer fan. You get one expression from him and one expression only. it could be a card board cutout during games. Some coaches, and some people are just like that. With that you get the good and bad in that. The good is that generally your team plays with more control and consistency and less distraction. The bad is that you don't get the coach jumping around in the playoffs looking for passion. Would be hard for a certain personality to be both.
At the end of the day the players also know KK is just interim here. Maybe he can't really be freaking out or calling out shit like that. I think he should ftr. But he may not feel that way from an employment POV.
Coaches can very quickly lose their jobs outright in todays world of pro sports if it goes the wrong way with players. See, thats the thing, Tocchet can go that extra mile with players and not have them question him because they know full well its just what he did as a player. Theres a value in that.

Also true. I'm personally not a fan of Knoblauch. Never was.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
We got so screwed by Chia and Holland. A decent gm had an absolutely golden opportunity with McDrai.

Think back to 2015.. if our gm just sat back for a couple years after drafting McDavid and built up some assets. We could have had Hall/Larsson, Barzal, Tkachuk, Eberle as well as RNH, McDrai and maybe Bouch.

Holland did make a couple good trades, Hyman and Ekholm are fantastic but maybe any legit top 6 forward or top 4 dman would fit magically with McDrai. Kane was outstanding until his freak accident.

All these years with McDavid and we have no depth scoring, not much of a 2nd line (if we load up McDrai there’s no 2nd line and if we split them Drai could use better wingers), a decent defense that just needs a legit RD - glaring hole for years now. And of course we’ve been missing a real starting goalie this entire time.

These guys have traded plenty of picks, we should have some of the pieces we need considering the assets we’ve spent.

Jackson really has to nail this next GM selection. We need a GM with a brain and some f***ing balls because they need to make changes fast. Like shed some cap at the draft fast. It needs to turn around this summer if we wanna keep Draisaitl.

What makes me think we will bring in MacT. ha

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Another stupid player that the team's core advocated to keep. If anything, him, Ceci, and Brown have shown that the GM should have the final say on what to do and not the players themselves. Friendships shouldn't matter more than winning the Stanley Cup. How Holland softly caved in just makes him a coward bitch of a GM.

I still think Leo will re-sign here personally. Just can't make a 3rd consecutive mistake of hiring another dog shit GM like Chiarelli and Holland to start. Take the actual f***ing time for a GM this time rather than go for hockey canada connection like shitburger Nicholson did.
On the flip side, atleast Holland got rid of super friend Tyson Barrie. I think ultimately; McDrai like and want GOOD players in this team. They probably like Foegele cause he’s a shit ton better than the Chiassons, Reiders, and Kahuns of the past. But regardless, even if Holland was making moves against McDs wishes, it still sucks, cause Holland himself can’t identify needs and talent.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Shouldn't even be in the HOF. Just rode the coattails of Hakan Andersson's drafting in Detroit. Biggest fraud of a GM.

Also true. I'm personally not a fan of Knoblauch. Never was.

I think Knob has done great as a rookie coach. But this team didn't need an inexperienced coach in a "cup or bust" season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hey, save some panic for the rest of us! :sarcasm: The GM was going to have some work to do even if they ended up winning the Cup (an absolute pipe dream after that shit start to the season). If Leon decides he wants to go to some scrub team to try to build his own legacy, the GM will have some nice assets coming back

Not a panic, just a reality! And yes the GM whether it be Holland or whomever will have their work cut out this summer!

Nicholson has turned out to be the single worst hire in Oiler history it turns out.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
What makes me think we will bring in MacT. ha
Jackson wouldn’t do it but as an Oilers fan I can’t say it’s impossible.

New GM needs to be aggressive right away. We need to alleviate cap issues before free agency, which means dumping cap at the draft. Kane, Nurse, Ceci, Campbell, get picks back to use as trade ammo, whatever you can get just open up cap space.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Flaccid PP was a killer. Failing those early power players was a major factor. Canucks were on their heels early and took that momentum and build on it. Without face-off wins, the Oilers were not able to establish their puck possession game and had very little sustained o-zone time. Defensively they were on their heels with primarily flipping pucks to the neutral zone which the Canucks scooped up and took back into the Oilers zone.

Edmonton was outworked by a faster, harder and more aggressive team tonight. Lots of elements where the Oilers just weren't good enough. Afraid? I don't think so. They didn't really have any answers in any capacity.
They were timid and lacked any drive or motor.

These are areas Holland needed to address at the deadline.

He added more of the same instead.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
On the flip side, atleast Holland got rid of super friend Tyson Barrie. I think ultimately; McDrai like and want GOOD players in this team. They probably like Foegele cause he’s a shit ton better than the Chiassons, Reiders, and Kahuns of the past. But regardless, even if Holland was making moves against McDs wishes, it still sucks, cause Holland himself can’t identify needs and talent.

Of course Foegele's better than those dog shit players lol. But he's also not good in the playoffs either himself. Outside of going 5-4-9 in the canes 2018-2019 season, he's been mustering 1 goal in 2019, 1 goal in 2020, 0 in 2021, 2 goals in 2022, and 1 this playoffs series. Quite meh pretty much.
I think Knob has done great as a rookie coach. But this team didn't need an inexperienced coach in a "cup or bust" season.
Fully agreed. Team also didn't need Ken Holland's pathetic attempt of an 'all in' move either too though.
Not a panic, just a reality! And yes the GM whether it be Holland or whomever will have their work cut out this summer!

Nicholson has turned out to be the single worst hire in Oiler history it turns out.

Why the f*** is that asshole still a special advisor for hockey ops in this organization? Especially after his hush money bullshit for Hockey Canada? Absolute joke.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They were timid and lacked any drive or motor.

These are areas Holland needed to address at the deadline.

He added more of the same instead.
More of the same? But every team needs 8-10 Centers on it. And of course we needed more Centers, cause McD and Draisaitl just aren’t good enough top 6 Centers….

/s

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
It's ironic how Holland is completely loyal to shit players while the two finalists in the actual GM search, Zito and McCrimmon, are ruthless and have transformed their teams into cup contenders/winners by trading fan favorites. Zito casts off Huberdeau and Weegar, two overrated playoff underperformers, and immediately takes his team to the cup finals against McCrimmon's team, who has had no loyalty to any player from day 1.

Of course, Edmonton does not have the favorable draw that living in LV or Florida has, so the team has to have some desirability in order to afford the ability of churning through players. Florida and VGK have limitless mercenaries they can sign as they will always be the top desirable markets in the league. Who cares if the team treats you like shit in Florida, you can golf/jet ski/bang Miami bottle girls by the handful and no one will ever recognize you in public or heckle you because no one gives a single f*** about hockey in the whole state.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad