Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They don’t have to cap to bring back all those players from what I recall.

What players in the minors are notable? I’m seriously wondering. I’m sure it’s better than the Oilers prospect depth but that’s saying literally nothing

They’ve had ridiculous shooting percentages, PDO etc all season. Do you really think they haven’t had horseshoes all season and in these playoffs? They struggled with the worst team to make the west, needing an absolutely ridiculous comeback with the Preds shitting all over themselves just to not go down in that series, and tonight was by far(!!!) their most shots in a game. How does anything they’ve done scream sustainable success? These are the 2022 Flames 2.0 (different teams but the same unsustainable success)

This is the only game they’ve won this series that wasn’t on absolutely fluke bounces in which they weren’t outplayed

They were also outplayed by the Preds most of that season

In what world do great teams get outplayed almost every game they win in the playoffs?
They didn't trade any A prospects in their deadline work. Podkolzen who can fill a bottom six role. They've found support players like Dakota Joshua and others. Have an elite goaltender that hasn't played. Strong management that have won Cups and has been locked in their coaching hire and off-season work to build up quality of support players.

They're a developing team, not a great team. This is a leap season and now a playoff where they are learning to win. Finding ways through their adversity to do so. Regress? Maybe. But there's a solid foundation.

Oil have more than had their handsfull with an opponent that everyone was taking lightly. They've done self-damage (again) with sub-average goaltending until Pickard; costly mistakes; but Canuck top players are giving the Oilers top players a handful. Notably top line hasn't been good enough.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They at least tried to go all in with moves like Guentzel and Kuznetsov.
Us? Carrick, Henrique, and Stecher. Most passive f***ing of deadline moves a GM could make. Especially in his final year as GM with two of the best players in the world, that's his 'going out with a bang' type of trades.
I would LOVE to see what Henrique would have returned if Holland didn’t pull the trigger. Would also love to see if any playoff team even goes after Carrick. We’ll never know, but I bet it would have been less than what we paid.

Reactions: McAsuno

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Good catch. That puck did hit the linesman skate. But does it matter if it comes off Drais stick or a Canuck? Maybe that’s why?

I’d want to relook at that play for a missed room many men too. The Nuck that went off the ice definately affected the play.
Its too many men but its not like the oilers could do anything on the pp

1715929025289.png

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The cap space is Holland's fault but the Canucks had cap space to make these moves. It's kind of a big deal. Stecher is an upgrade on Ceci that the coach refuses to play

KK gets to chase around Talk-shit and do the same thing for game 6. Reactive garbage coaching. He needed to make changes 3 games ago
Canucks were up against the cap. The Canucks front office managed to dump contracts to create space

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Bill Zito constructed the Florida Panthers as we know them. Some notable adds are Reinhart, Verhaghe, Forsling, Tkachuk, Montour, Bennett.

Then we all know McCrimmon's work in VGK. Of course the f***er is annoying exploiting the LTIR shit and losing to Dallas this playoffs, but credit to him for at least being highly aggressive trying to get the best possible players.

Holland good moves = Hyman free agency and Ekholm trade. Everything else was either dog shit or mediocre.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, the only excuse I could see would be that they weren't 100% sure how the league would interpret the rule. The league doesn't talk about this situation at all in their video rulebook. If it's my job to make recommendations to the coach on whether or not to challenge plays I'm making sure I know exactly how the league interpretes the rulebook.
Well how can anyone be expected to know how the league would read it. The league has zero consistency.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
McDrai got so frustrated they stopped skating. Also flipped pucks at the front of the net for 60 mins.

Same old bad habits lost this game, which is gross when a 30+ yr old AHLer does his job.

Team needed a goal and the two best players in the world couldn't keep it out of our net.

Petterson is getting called out in Vancouver for not scoring but he's not hurting the team defensively.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Then we all know McCrimmon's work in VGK. Of course the f***er is annoying exploiting the LTIR shit and losing to Dallas this playoffs, but credit to him for at least being highly aggressive trying to get the best possible players.

Holland good moves = Hyman free agency and Ekholm trade. Everything else was either dog shit or mediocre.
Let's see Holland try to build the team without 97 enticing players. He would fail miserably.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I would LOVE to see what Henrique would have returned if Holland didn’t pull the trigger. Would also love to see if any playoff team even goes after Carrick. We’ll never know, but I bet it would have been less than what we paid.
I don't mind Henrique, but it just felt so underwhelming as a player to acquire, especially with what they gave back. A player like Buchnevich would've moved the needle.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013

Holland had one good trade: Ekholm

The rest of his good moves I struggle to give him credit for as they were purely money for UFA transactions that any schmuck could've done. McDavid practically signed Barrie and Hyman himself.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Totally agree. But those are 3-5 year deliverables. Especially with draft picks leaned out running through this window. Absolutely can't afford bad free agent signings and will still need to flush Campbell's bad money. Brown's bonus is also on the books.

Tight window to try to move this team forward to a next level for Cup contention.

The new GM will have a much more difficult time building a cup winner in a 1 year window. Draisaitl does not re-sign will create an entire new decision tree to be planted. Not a summer for the feint of heart if you're an Oiler fan.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
He also has an actual analytics wiz kid identifying these players in Sunny Mehta. Who I should add didn't need his dad to get him a job.
Oilers are content to buy high and sell low. Not to mention they love throwing away picks and selecting players that never have a hope of becoming anything with non-trivial picks (ala munzenberger or any other Holland pick after the 3rd round).

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Well how can anyone be expected to know how the league would read it. The league has zero consistency.

I find they are pretty consistent on offsides. If you know the finer details of offside you'll be able to predict what the league will call. And if not, you can usually make sense of it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The new GM will have a much more difficult time building a cup winner in a 1 year window. Draisaitl does not re-sign will create an entire new decision tree to be planted. Not a summer for the feint of heart if you're an Oiler fan.

Can't blame Draisaitl if he chooses not to re-sign. Guy's been a points producing machine in the playoffs and the moronic f***ing management still can't help build a good secondary cast to support him to this day. Infuriating to see even more as a fan.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't mind Henrique, but it just felt so underwhelming as a player to acquire, especially with what they gave back. A player like Buchnevich would've moved the needle.
I don’t either. But you know I hated the fit for our needs. Winger and Right D was the need. No f***in idea how we went with two centers. And Knob is playing Mcleod in the 3 hole anyways cause he trusts Mcleod defensively which was always confirmed and backed up by analytics that he could get the job done defensively.

So in Hollands mind did he think he was “upgrading” Mcleod to Henrique. And we’d convert the young center into a top 6 wing that he’s not shown he can be? Seems dumb to me.

Then you got Carrick, who’s like what? A slightly better Erne. WTF needle was that going to move.

Meanwhile Ceci continues to tank every pairing we have.

Um the rest were on the ice
Rest being 3 or 4? Need to see it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't know what goes on in the room so I can't comment on that part either. But holy f***, if your team is still playing awful in the 3rd after a 2nd, then use your timeout to get their heads straighten the f*** out. Tocchet's a good coach. I cannot say the same for Knoblauch.
My feeling with KK and Coffey is that they are scrimmage, practice, preparedness coaches. All of what they do occurs between games. I don't see that they are strong in within game managment. Tochett is sure winning that battle.

The other thing though which is fair bringing up because it often matters. Tocchet is a coach player thats been in the dance a lot. Been all the way to the final. Etc. So he not only gets the attention of that and the type of hardworking NHL player he was, he has all of it to draw on and give his team. KK of course being beat in that way but nothing he can really do to equal Tochett on those measures.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I find they are pretty consistent on offsides. If you know the finer details of offside you'll be able to predict what the league will call. And if not, you can usually make sense of it.
I still wouldn’t completely trust it. But regardless, if there’s a chance, you make that challenge at that point in the game IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad