Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeh I mentioned in my first post in the post game. It seemed like the Oilers just sat back hoping for mistakes like they were gifted in the 1st. Instead of driving play and generating for themselves, they played the hope game which created that passiveness in our game.
You'd think the coach would adjust to it. I dislike Tocchet but holy f***, he's a good coach and knows how to adjust accordingly. I can't say the same for Knoblauch. Team should've been out guns blazing in the 3rd after a shit 2nd. Inexcusable by him.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
All I’m saying is the team is flawed in significant areas.

All teams are flawed in a cap world but I don’t think Holland did enough to try to address specific flaws.

Okay, but this is the Canucks. Struggling this much against the weakest team left in the playoffs and you think a couple of faster players would matter?

They needed Tanev and a one shot scorer like Tarasenko. Neither were available to the Oilers. Oh, and a f***ing third option in goal, which was a total oversight because Skinjob got way too much trust from the org (and this fanbase)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Holland saw Ceci cratering all year, a need to add one more top 6 winger, and a 1B goalie. His adds (an aging 34yo C, a 4th liner and a 6/7 D) have racked up 3 total points in game 10 of the playoffs. He spent a 1st, 4th and 5th. Ken didn't help this team. A failure. A flop. f*** him forever.
Should’ve used the first on something more congruent to the team’s needs.

Reactions: McAsuno

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
Lol everyone coming in with the "deserved L".

f*** off with that. Canucks have had multiple deserved L's that they have won against both us and Nashville.

That was a winnable game thanks to Pickard. Even with the atrocious 2 periods, there were plenty of looks to bury pucks and just.. nothing. Where's the killer instinct?

Reactions: TB12 and Keggatron

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I would agree generally. Holland just tried to wave his hand with one trade hoping it would be enough but he just didn’t do enough to address specific flaws in this roster.
Now there's rumour he might be considered for Columbus's job. Time for a new GM who will have his/her handsfull with the cap reality and roster holes while this team moving through its window (and caught now by the Canucks).

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Anyone else just not care anymore? Why are people getting worked up by this when the team clearly didn't.
Yep. I barely watch games anymore, just have them on in the background when I'm doing other hobbies or when I'm at the gym and it's on there. I only post here because it's addicting, like social media. Plus it's just another way to kill time at work.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Should’ve used the first on something more congruent to the team’s needs.
Hertl/3rd/3rd -> 1st/prospect
Zucker -> 6th
Toffoli -> 2nd, 3rd
Kuznetsov (retained) -> 3rd
Guentzel/Smith -> mid6 player/prospects/1st/5th
Duclair -> 3rd- Hanifin -> 1st/3rd/5th
Tarasenko -> 3rd/4th

3 playoff games between Henrique, Carrick, Stetcher: 1st/4th/5th.
How the f*** is that considered going all in?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You'd think the coach would adjust to it. I dislike Tocchet but holy f***, he's a good coach and knows how to adjust accordingly. I can't say the same for Knoblauch. Team should've been out guns blazing in the 3rd after a shit 2nd. Inexcusable by him.
I agree adjustments were needed in the 3rd after seeing that 2nd. We had a bit of push back in the 3rd but it was enough. But ultimately over the last 40 minutes we got worked, we didn’t break until the last 30 seconds. I guess in that sense it could have gone either way, maybe he was planning for us to defend and find a break in that time. I don’t know, hard to say without being in the room. But Knob has a chance to adjust for game 6, and he’s been good at that throughout the year. Here’s hoping.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They haven't needed him with Miller and Lindholm dominating. I hope he stays sullen and invisible but he's still a one-shot guy that can be checked out and still rip a mid-range dagger to score. The Oilers are one game from extinction facing an organizational #3 goaltender. The #1 guy is an elite or close in a league with few of them. Oil had a table set pretty well coming into this series.

When the Oil have been competitive in the face-off circle they have been able to assert their puck possession, high offensive zone time game on the Canucks. Too often though they have been dominated in the dot and forced to defend or sludge through layers of opposition defending. Bad night for McDavid to so badly outplayed. Unfortunately Bouchard's stellar game slipped. Line 1 was terrible with those two struggling. Carried over to a slow, static power play. Not converting in the first period was a killer. Got the start they wanted. Then slipped on a banana and Canucks took the game by the throat for 40 minutes.
Where I disagree is the bolded. The Canucks didn't take it. We gave it away. Especially our topline. and top unit.

We had a 5 man unit of McD line and Booch and Ekholm for much of their shifts in this game. Much of the time they were just knocking the puck up ice or flips up ice. When they did get even a rush on net they were shooting wide or passing from the slot. It was like an exhibition in how to throw it away. A unit that good should establish every night. That they could be this off, and really for a couple games in a row is uncanny. Wasn't just nucks either. Guys like McD bobbling and fumbling wide open pucks. Hyman tonight looked like he was playing without a stick. may as well have been.

We would have lost to the Flames if these guys were awful in that series. You can't have your top 5 unit being this bad for two games in a row.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If this leadership group needs a coach to get them fired up for a game 5 in a 2-2 series then we might as well fold the tent and trade both guys this summer.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Now there's rumour he might be considered for Columbus's job. Time for a new GM who will have his/her handsfull with the cap reality and roster holes while this team moving through its window (and caught now by the Canucks).

There is just as good a chance that they fall back like crazy next season

Does anyone care about advanced stats here? I doubt they PDO their way to playoff success two seasons in a row, but I suppose it's possible.

Reactions: TB12

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

No f***ing shit. Ken Holland's a piece of shit.

Not Holland's fault! He was handcuffed with no cap space by some guy named Ken Holland!

At the end of year 5, we can finally see how this guy had no plan.

Just spend every ounce of caps space the second he got it on weak sauce band-aid solutions. Lucky his routine to throw the highest bid at the biggest name UFA's got us Hyman, and Marky took less to go to Calgary. Throw money at every buddy of McDavid, including giving Nurse the moon just because.

Let some bums waste our draft picks for 5 years with bottom of the league quality scouting.

Never figure goaltending out. Just go all in on risky solutions like 40 year old Mike Smith and Campbell.

He had 1 good trade deadline in him for Ek who was a very fortunate cap dump by Nashville. Really, Katz paid him $25M for 1 great move between 5 years of dithering.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Okay, but this is the Canucks. Struggling this much against the weakest team left in the playoffs and you think a couple of faster players would matter?

They needed Tanev and a one shot scorer like Tarasenko. Neither were available to the Oilers. Oh, and a f***ing third option in goal, which was a total oversight because Skinjob got way too much trust from the org (and this fanbase)
The Canucks are simply the team on the bingo card that happens to expose the flaws. It’s less about them and more about what our management failed to do.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Not Holland's fault! He was handcuffed with no cap space by some guy named Ken Holland!

At the end of year 5, we can finally see how this guy had no plan.

Just spend every ounce of caps space the second he got it on weak sauce band-aid solutions. Lucky his routine to throw the highest bid at the biggest name UFA's got us Hyman, and Marky took less to go to Calgary. Sadly it also got us Campbell.

Let some bums waste our draft picks for 5 years with bottom of the league quality scouting.

He had 1 good trade deadline in him for Ek who was a very fortunate cap dump by Nashville. Really, Katz paid him $25M for 1 great move between 5 years of dithering.

You can't squeeze other GM's in this league.
Trades are hard to make.
Dollar in; Dollar out.

He had an excuse every f***ing year on why this team simply couldn't go all in. Those are just 3 of them. There's plenty more in his wheel of excuses.

Reactions: oobga

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It sucks to be down 3-2. But if we can truly click as a team and start firing on all cylinders, powering our way to a game 7 win, that might just be the momentum we need to actually beat Dallas too. These playoffs ain’t over. 2 Ws is all we need.

Reactions: Keggatron

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The Canucks are simply the team on the bingo card that happens to expose the flaws. It’s less about them and more about what our management failed to do.

Fair, I can agree with that

I think the Nucks boosters here are going to be strangely silent when they're finally exposed by a team that is ready to go deep

This is like a second 1st round matchup. Fraud vs fraud

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If they actually hire a competent, progressive GM, I think we might be surprised at how some of these issues can actually be managed.

Reactions: ManOfSteelI

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Can't wait til Holland is finally gone

The piece of shit shouldn't be allowed to peacefully fly off into the sunset after the season's over.
5 years of wasting McDrai's prime years, wasting the 20-25M cap we had on boat anchor contracts, hiring his shit scouting buddy in Tyler Wright who drafted f*** all for this team, or made underwhelming trades every year. The asshole should be relieved of his duties in the morning.

Reactions: 29Beast97Mode

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad