Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Vancouver spent assets we don’t have though. Only assets we have that have a semblance of value is our 1st, 2nd Broberg and Holloway.
Vancouver also didn’t have the Nurse and Campbell contracts on top of f***ing 4 mill of dead cap between Brown and Perry.

They still accomplished an amazing feat.

Either way this team isn’t winning anything the way it’s presently constructed.

The new GM has a massive task ahead of him - far greater than Holland ever did - and under far greater pressure with key contracts expiring.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Agreed, and I think it will happen regardless of the results of this post season. I can seen Ceci, Perry, Foegele, Campbell, Ryan and Henrique all being gone, and possibly a couple others.

Prolly Kane, McLeod, Skinner and outside chance Nuge

This team has way too many passengers just content with status quo
Entire board knew they weren't scoring in the 3rd lol

Game had L written all over it 5 mins left in the first. Even when we lead, we are on shaky ground

Reactions: 29Beast97Mode

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think they adjusted. But we could have easily still taken it to them IMO. We just played our PPs dumb, didn’t control and get set up. Just tried forcing things and making hope plays. With poise and control we will kill them like we have every other team.
Even when the Oilers did set up the Canucks were on them. Not afraid to double up on McDavid either.
I thought that they played on their toes and picked their spots really well.
Couldnt execute the PK much better than that.

Reactions: MessierII

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
McDavid needs a big game on Saturday. He usually plays really well in elimination games so I have faith they can force game 7. I had this series going to 7 from the start. Two huge question marks in net though so anything can happen

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I will commend tocchet. He was brave enough to make 3 changes to his team tonight. Let's see if Knob makes even one.

Happy 39th birthday grandpa Perry. You've done nothing all series but a stick meme with boeser.

Mcleod wtf do you even do but skate really pretty? Pk I guess.

Ceci holy God if skinner can get shamed and a roster change how are you still on here?

Tocchet is brave enough to do a 3 man swap will Knob even do 1?

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The whole line was awful. It begins though with McDavid who was dominated by Miller and their game plan to keep him on the perimeter. Hyman was also invisible except for his offensive zone holding penalty (and he could have gotten at least one more). Line 1 collectively was the worst on the ice... well maybe McLeod and his line weren't good but ....
Holland needed to add speed and motor. Deadline was a total failure and the chickens are coming home to roost right now.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Even when the Oilers did set up the Canucks were on them. Not afraid to double up on McDavid either.
I thought that they played on their toes and picked their spots really well.
Couldnt execute the PK much better than that.
Canucks played like it was a game 5 in a 2-2 series. Especially on the Pk. Us? Nah.

Reactions: guymez

BIeucheeseWithWings

Jul 9, 2022
1715917898628190.png

Reactions: Stud Muffin

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Just way too many passengers on this f***ing team. Team's been needing average goaltending and secondary scoring this series. Got provided both tonight with Janmark's goal and Pickard being left out to dry, and yet the Oilers were playing from the 2nd and 3rd period like they had a lead when there was no lead to begin with in a 2-2 game.

I like McLeod's defensive side of the game, but holy f***, players like him have just been performing cardio all playoff series. Perry hasn't been effective either. Foegele is just zzzzzzzz. Give me Gagner next game. At least Gagner plays with a whole ton of f***ing heart even at his age.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He’s not a driver. And he struggles with physicality, we know that. But it’s when he does get his chance with the puck on his stick he will make the right play for the most part, at a level higher than other options we have anyways. Whether that be a pass or that snipe show we saw last game.
It’s a forced marriage because there are no better options. And that’s on Holland.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Prolly Kane, McLeod, Skinner and outside chance Nuge

This team has way too many passengers just content with status quo

Game had L written all over it 5 mins left in the first. Even when we lead, we are on shaky ground
I don't think that anyone would take the contracts of the latter 3.

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Didn't you hear Knobby the other night? He'd rather the team check "with their feet and sticks". He doesn't prioritize physical play or think it's important, and it shows at this team's unwillingness to engage physically on a regular basis.

Yup. Look at whose behind Vancouver’s bench.

Tochett. Foote. Yeo. They would rip your head off out there and Alvin built the team in their image.

Little Petey not showing up? Call him out and then chuck him out in front of the press.

Here Skinner ducks the media after yet another meltdown and it’s all good because he’s a nice guy who apologized. Browns a nice guy. Ceci? Great guy! Foegele? The best!

We coddle players here - Vancouver expects 120% every game or GTFO.

Reactions: frag2

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Look who’s on the Vancouver bench. Tochett. Foote. Yeo. Its murderers row.

On the ice it’s led by Miller and Zadorov. When Pius Suter is running Nurse and Draisaitl you know Vancouver has bought fully in.

Meanwhile we have KK and McDavid saying we are playing physical enough and wilting under pressure.

Tochett teams are Tochett tough that’s for sure and credit to Alvin whose built a solid team playing a solid team game beating a team relying on 1 line and 2 megastars by taking them out of the picture.
Weren't you the one who refused to listen to anyone even mentioning upgrading the Oil.

Yes, that was you.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A healthy Henrique is an upgrade. It gives them more flexibility.

Perry needs to come out of the lineup at the very least. Bringing Carrick or even Gagner in for him isn't putting them much farther ahead.
Henrique would’ve played the same way 90% of our team did tonight. Passive and timid.

They needed very specific things at the deadline and Holland struck out on most of them.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Look who’s on the Vancouver bench. Tochett. Foote. Yeo. Its murderers row.

On the ice it’s led by Miller and Zadorov. When Pius Suter is running Nurse and Draisaitl you know Vancouver has bought fully in.

Meanwhile we have KK and McDavid saying we are playing physical enough and wilting under pressure.

Tochett teams are Tochett tough that’s for sure and credit to Alvin whose built a solid team playing a solid team game beating a team relying on 1 line and 2 megastars by taking them out of the picture.
Yep. I actually forgot Foote was on his staff. Both are stone cold killers in how they played and it's been remarkable watching the Canucks quickly transform their culture. Added that Rutherford schooled the league in laser focused trades and free agencies that build size and physicality on defense; incredibly deep and versatile bottom six centre/wing options; and then in-season deals for two massive pieces from the Calgary minor pro team.

I've been sounded the warning bell on the Canucks from pre-season that they weren't a paper tiger. Tonight they ran over a poor Oilers team that unfortunately slips into cruise control at bad times. Healthy respect for opposition ... always ... unless it is the Calgary minor pro team.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They still accomplished an amazing feat.

Either way this team isn’t winning anything the way it’s presently constructed.

The new GM has a massive task ahead of him - far greater than Holland ever did - and under far greater pressure with key contracts expiring.
The new GM has an impossible task because Holland swung and missed at everything substantial.

Nurse, Campbell contracts are anchors. Brown and Perry’s bonuses are a whole elite 3c. We don’t have a starting goalie and we need a whole 2nd dpair.

Broberg and Holloway are our only assets that might get us something but 2 assets don’t get you anywhere.

The amount of work the next GM will have to do will take years to actually pull off and we don’t have years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad