Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
digging out of the that hole they dug in Oct/Nov seems like it took a toll on them
they look like they have nothing left
Nah. That’s not a real thing. This is a lazy team.

The lack of effort is something a person has or doesn’t. I think Draisaitl has it, but not many others.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Also RNH cannot be on McDavid’s wing in the playoffs. It’s fine in the regular season when you’re playing sleepy games against average teams but when the intensity ramps up you need a more physical winger or at least someone with a higher motor.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That fair. I will say though they had a decent break between the first and second round and I think he overextended them twice in this series. Am I wrong? Additionally, there was nothing from our depth. We'd probably be eliminated by now if he didn't do that.
You know what the coach can do when the depth isn’t workint? Shake up the lines, sit a guy or two for others. Gagner still hasn’t played. Coach still hasn’t used a timeout.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ahahahaha. They got beat 5-2 and McDrai had a total of 1 point and lost it at home.

I would believe if they gave me something to believe in. This team that EVEN if they beat the Canucks in 2 straight. They have less than 0 chance of winning 8 more games.
It’s not a cup year, and it’s time for real change.
Yes they lost to the Cup champs. Sucks. But this series ain’t that series. And this team and coach ain’t that team. I know you won’t beleive, but hope for the best then and see what happens. Either way, won’t be the end of the world.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And while we had this lack of effort and execution going our coach was laying behind the bench rocking in a hammock, sipping on a margarita. How about showing a pulse and start lighting a fire under their asses
Should've been a time out and reaming out at some time in 2nd period. Should also have been fire and brimstone we're giving this one away lecture in 2nd intermission. I doubt either occurred.

But this is the thing. On Championship clubs the team itself would have recognized how bad they were in the first (not finding anything on PP's) how bad they were in the 2nd, and then coming out half ass in the third. From the first period on a sick feeling about the team giving this one away was evident. Our pedestrian efforts on PP evident. Its as if the Oilers watched how bad the Canucks were in game 4 and just figured they'd do that. Half ass it for a third period hoping for a result they didn't deserve.

Really I feel sorry for anybody that has tickets to game 6 that costs like 400bucks. you'd be expecting a series winning game at worst. Now what you get is no chance at that and a chance of the worst happening.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Funny thing is if Skinner played this game with the exact same score there would be 10 pages about how he can’t make a save…
The reality here is that if Skinner played tonight the Oilers would have lost 8-2. I gave up counting how many saves Pickard made tonight where my immediate reaction was “I don’t think Skinner would have stopped that”. I’m not sure why you’d bring up Skinner in that context on a night where Pickard was the best Oiler on the ice by a wide margin,

Reactions: Keggatron and TB12

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Also RNH cannot be on McDavid’s wing in the playoffs. It’s fine in the regular season when you’re playing sleepy games against average teams but when the intensity ramps up you need a more physical winger or at least someone with a higher motor.
Hopefully Henrique is good to go. There's a lot more finish in his game than Nuge.

Kane's placement on this roster is a tough call though. The giveaways are glaring.

ArthurAnyMoreDonuts

Sep 20, 2019
What a horrible game. It won't make a difference if we beat Vancouver. We're not beating Dallas or Colorado. I hope our next GM as the sense to trade McLeod, he provides f*** all offensively.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
EVen if we did prevail in a game 7 or even get it to a game 7 what would he have left. Still hoping for a W but the team looks out of gas.
It's a long road to the top if you want to rock 'n' roll. Toughest trophy to win in sports never comes easy. Hard to see it but this team could also reset and grind away. But chasing the puck by losing face-offs all series has hurt their ability to establish their game.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
You know what the coach can do when the depth isn’t workint? Shake up the lines, sit a guy or two for others. Gagner still hasn’t played. Coach still hasn’t used a timeout.
Yeah, nothing grates me worse when timeouts aren't used. I think he did once this series. Here's hoping for Henrique, Carrick and Gagner to be added next game.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
McDavid has 1 point in the last 3 games down the stretch. Look at Draisaitl last year against Vegas. 4 goals game 1 then torched down the stretch. This isn’t the regular season. You need to get better as it goes deep not worse.

Hope they have 2 good games in them to make up for it. I can't disagree the results are bad. Our top line can't get a thing done out there, and even when they get a chance, passing off instead of shooting.

Still can't give a pass to how useless most of our lineup is though. This is to me just another team that needs to be carried 95% by a few guys, with some prayers that some weak links in the lineup don't blow games up. Not a team you can expect to go that far in the playoffs.

I do wish they could spare us the annoyance of seeing us lose to the Canucks though.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes they lost to the Cup champs. Sucks. But this series ain’t that series. And this team and coach ain’t that team. I know you won’t beleive, but hope for the best then and see what happens. Either way, won’t be the end of the world.
Yes this coach doesn’t have a passionate bone in his body and is a worse coach. No this ain’t that series, we actually played well for most of that series, we look like we were lucky to make the playoffs this series.

Of course, it won’t be the end of the world. This was our last good chance at the cup though. So it sucks that we failed, again. Our window isn’t closed but we are entering Pittsburgh territory.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Would be nice to actually have depth scoring and 3 d-pairs that can all be net positive on a given night. Dallas' 4th line is better than our 3rd line, they have 16 different goal scorers this post season. Their roster is filled with both young talent and reliable vets. Their GM upgraded a key position of need (shared with the Oilers) at the deadline and it has paid off immensely.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't even disagree on most of your points -- except Bouchard will have these stupid efforts more than most elite D. From the offensive zone in, he's pretty amazing at times but it's this kind of lackadaisical BS and wobbly defending that will never be erased from his game. But of course, now they (whatever clown the OBC decides to sweep into the GM's seat) will pay him like a no. 1 D and further hamstring their shitty cap management.

We'll agree to disagree on that. I don't see this lineup going past Vancouver because, quite frankly, Vancouver is playing like they want it more. Not like the pretenders in our room.
Yup and it wasnt just one play either. It was the whole game.
He actually had 3 consecutive giveaways on one shift.
By the time the 3rd period came around I cringed every time he touched the puck in the D zone.

Its fine to have a quiet game...a game where you are not at all a difference maker. That happens...but to have a game where you are an absolute liability.
No way to excuse that if the claim is that he is an elite all around Dman.
He could be one day but he isnt there yet.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wow really sounding like Leafs fans now.

Maybe what those psychos at CP say is right, maybe we are the Leafs of the west...

81hk.gif

I hate to say it but it ain’t working. Other teams don’t beat us, we beat us.

Most glaring for me tonight is KK for some unforeseen reason played 29 & 97 over 30 minutes a night in the first 3 games with the predictable result that they’d be out of gas in a long series. Tonight, they were out of gas. The PP had no spark and McDavid lets his man go with 30 seconds left in a 2-2 game.

Bottom line is we look old and we look slow and I doubt we advance.

Team needs a tear down in key areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad