Beginners: Not getting discouraged while learning how to skate?

Scoracek

Jul 9, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn how to roller skate in order to join a league "eventually", but I'm having a really tough time not getting discouraged whenever I fall, all I can do is stand still, skate forwards at like <1mph, and I can't stop so I either end up stopping myself on a wall or something else. I can't turn or build up any kind of momentum without losing some or all of my balance and ending up on my ass. It just really pisses me off whenever I fall and gives me a sense of hopelessness like "This is impossible." or "This is going to take forever." And it just makes me want to stop.

What makes it even worse is that I work as a scorekeeper at an inline hockey arena and I see like 5 year olds or even younger skating everyday and it just looks and seems so simple. They offer skating lessons here, but all it is, is like 3 year olds and similar ages and I don't want to be a 19 year old giant falling every stride amongst toddlers and their parents spectating. I know this isn't something that is learned overnight, it's just extremely frustrating falling every few strides or just gliding until you run into the end boards.

I try to watch tutorials on YouTube but they're all too shallow or advanced, I haven't found a single in depth one that goes step by step working on every skill you need to skate.

Any tips/advice, or any videos to watch to learn how to skate would be really nice.

puckfunny

Jul 4, 2016
You're 19. The other kids won't care (3 year olds are incredibly oblivious to their surroundings) or will in fact find it funny if they are truly that young, and the parents will also not care, will possibly find it funny (generally not in a bad way), and may be impressed that you're taking it upon yourself to do something that would make most people feel uncomfortable.

Regardless, if you think it will help, I'd suggest doing it.

Encouragement: As you said, you regularly see young children doing it. Barring any significant physical abnormalities you may suffer from, you have the potential, you just need to work at it.

Practice, practice, practice. If you practice enough (the right kind of practice), you will get there.

Lessons may help you do the right kind of practice (you are likely not going about it in the most effective way right now).

The lessons seem like a good idea, and it would suck for you not to take part in them out of fear of what others would think. That would be silly, and unfortunately very human.

Maybe try watching YouTube videos on proper technique.

Last edited:

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
First, wear a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads because you are going to fall sometimes. You don't want to chip an elbow, bust a kneecap or crack your skull.

The biggest skating tip I can give you is to bend your knees, and I mean bend your knees more than you think is enough. People usually have the reflex of stiffening up and straightening their legs when trying to keep their balance, as if they're trying to stay as far away from the hard painful ground as possible. :laugh: Proper knee bend gives you a lower center of gravity and more control (you cannot push off an already straight leg to regain balance). And a beneficial by-product is that if you fall then you won't fall from as high. :)

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Wear protection and as counterproductive as it seems, fall as much as you can and get up as fast as possible. Learn your balance limits and then work on expanding them and recovering from off balance positions. Try working on your leg flexibility so you can keep your knees bent and your butt stuck out while having your back upright. It will probably feel like your lower back is killing you, but that's your muscles growing. Take it easy and treat it as a workout that needs recovery because your legs will probably be pretty sore as well.

I wouldn't be the skater I am today if I was afraid of falling. At first I could only stop on my right foot but then eventually I focused on my left foot and now I feel as if I'm a much more complete skater than before. I can react in any direction instinctively skating in other directions and the better shape I'm in, the faster I can be.

The same thing can apply to rollerblades too, once you really master your balance on both sides of your skates and pivoting. You'll go through new wheels like crazy though, it isnt cheap lol I prefer skating.

Think of the Speedster in the Mighty Ducks who couldn't stop, but he kept practicing and crashing until he finally did and scored. You'll get there.

Also, find an adult power skating class, I try to take lessons as much as possible to get back to improve. It's not too expensive if you make the most of the commitment.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I started skating two years ago. And I'm over thirty.

I play in a beer league now where I'm easily one of the most mobile guys on the team (when I don't have the puck - a minor distinction).

It will sound cliche but the only thing that stops you from getting better is your fear and any lack of commitment (this isn't uncommon or unrealistic as most new things are often intrinsically harder to do and require more of a commitment).

I would suggest that you buy all the safety gear you need - shin pads, wrist guards, helmet etc. The more secure we feel when doing new things, the more risk you take; the more risk you take, the greater the gain in experience; the more experience you are... well, that's the ballgame isn't it?

Watch a lot of youtube - youll discover nuggets of wisdom like : bend your knees, chest and head up, full strides and recoveries...
Ask questions at the rink - People love to doll out instructions and guides.
Take things slowly.
Break down fundamentals into easily repeatable steps.
Practice repeatable steps.

Best of luck and don't give up - Everyone starts from where you started.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
First, wear a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads because you are going to fall sometimes. You don't want to chip an elbow, bust a kneecap or crack your skull.

The biggest skating tip I can give you is to bend your knees, and I mean bend your knees more than you think is enough. People usually have the reflex of stiffening up and straightening their legs when trying to keep their balance, as if they're trying to stay as far away from the hard painful ground as possible. :laugh: Proper knee bend gives you a lower center of gravity and more control (you cannot push off an already straight leg to regain balance). And a beneficial by-product is that if you fall then you won't fall from as high. :)

this is 100% right. I realize at 19 (and any age really) it's hard not to be self conscience when you're working on something that you're not good at but if you want to get batter you're just going to have to move past that. once you start to improve and start playing for "real" all of that will go away and it'll all be worth it.
I've always said that, imo hockey is the hardest sport to pick up as an adult because when you're first starting out it's impossible to hide the fact that you suck. :)

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
this is 100% right. I realize at 19 (and any age really) it's hard not to be self conscience when you're working on something that you're not good at but if you want to get batter you're just going to have to move past that. once you start to improve and start playing for "real" all of that will go away and it'll all be worth it.
I've always said that, imo hockey is the hardest sport to pick up as an adult because when you're first starting out it's impossible to hide the fact that you suck. :)

There's also the fact that when you're younger you're more willing to make your body do crazy **** that you know is going to hurt if you mess up. I can remember somehow pulling off crazy spin-o-rama moves ON ROLLERBLADES where I'd essentially to an ice hockey stop at full speed... when I was like 13. No way in hell I'd try that now :laugh:

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I started skating about four years ago and am decent now. Being able to go out on the ice to help coach my son was my motivation. I am a firm believer and always tell the kids, falling is good, it means that you are trying something new and getting better.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would also add I'd join a beginner league as soon as possible. It helps to work on your skating on your own time via lessons and sessions and stuff, but in games you're ALREADY wearing full padding, you'll be making 'hockey' moves, and you'll start moving instinctively instead of overthinking every stride.

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
I was 19 when I started too. I grew up in Southern California (pre-Gretzky) and there wasn't much of any youth hockey in the area that I knew of. And if there was my parents couldn't have afforded it anyway. But having been born a bit north of Pittsburgh into a sports loving family I had followed hockey but playing wasn't on my radar. In 1994, however, something clicked for me watching the playoffs and I felt compelled to go down to the local ice rink and sign up for beginning skating classes. Did that for a bit as I slowly started accumulating a set of hockey gear and my own skates (i still shudder at the thought of those rental skates). Then when I had the basics down and I had a full set of gear I signed up for adult hockey skills classes and went through that progression for a while. And when I felt i was ready I joined a low level beer league and started going out for open hockey (pickup). This was all probably over the course of two years or so. It's a slower progression if you're an adult IMO, kids just pick stuff up much more naturally and quickly. But now in 2016 i'm still playing and have 22 years under my belt and can safely call myself a solid B level player.

I guess it depends on your goals. If you want to play ice hockey then spend your time learning to do it on the ice. Don't waste time with roller unless money is an issue. Go down to the local rink and inquire about ice skating classes. Also find out about adult hockey skills classes. then spend your time learning to do it on the ice. But if you want to play roller then just dive in and forget about what the kids think. This is something you can take with you well into adult life. I play with lots of guys in their 60's and have played with guys in their 70's and beyond. I'm 41 now and intend to play as long as I can.

Don't let your passion be stifled by what other people think. It's a long progression, but the journey is fun and once you start arriving at where you want to be as a player it's fun to look back and reflect on the stages of that journey.

And like others have said, youtube is an invaluable resource that I didn't have when I started. I had to wait week to week for my instruction from hockey/skating instructors. You have an enormous advantage over guys like me who started late in a time where there was no internet.

Scoracek

Jul 9, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks to everyone for their encouragement, tips and own experiences. I do eventually want to move up to ice hockey (looks more fun) but moneys an issue with that (moneys an issue with everyone nowadays unfortunately), but I practically have everything for ice hockey except shoulder pads, pants and obviously ice skates. I first bought my inline skates in December, went to a rink at a local park a few times then. Fell a lot at that time, that time I think it was because I was just beginning and I kept my knees straight all the time. Then gave it up for a while as I thought it was hopeless.

However, yesterday I went back to that rink and skated verrrry slowly around for about 45 mins-hour, only fell twice :) and both weren't really my fault, first was when I was walking towards the door (the idiot who built it decided to put bricks with huge gaps in between them near the entrance) fell on my ass and then later on when I was coming out from behind one of the nets I wasn't looking down and skated over a stick (rink is disgusting) and fell luckily on my shin guards. I felt more confident but was still having trouble keeping my knees bent as it seems whenever I complete a stride I straighten back up. I did notice on one occasion that I got a few good strides in and decent acceleration for once. Will try to keep going to that rink as much as possible because when I went it was only 7am so no one was there, not even until I finally left around 10:30.

I do have a couple questions about the keeping the knees bent and strides also. I saw on YouTube that you should make sure that your knee completely covers your skate, so should I be looking down when I am skating just to get the hang of bending my knees? And when I do a stride, should I try and practice on bringing the skate that I just pushed off of above the ground as much possible (I'm guessing that would mean more acceleration, but would help on improving my balance)? And lastly probably a really dumb question to ask, but when I bring my skate down to push off of the other one should I be trying to land on all wheels at once or something else? Obviously don't want to toe pick :laugh:

Thanks everyone!

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
Personally, i've never bothered to look down as I skate. Just take big forward strides with a nice forward lean and you'll find the level you feel comfortable with as far as how far your knees are bent. A mistake I made early on is that I tied the top 2-3 eyelets of my skates too tight (and even taped them!) and it really restricted my ability to bend my knees properly and have a proper hockey stance. And it really hindered my progress IMO. Now, I make sure my forefoot eyelets are nice and tight but I keep the top eyelets relatively loose so I can get good flexibility in my ankles. Waxed laces are great for getting a good forefoot tightness.

I don't play roller so I can't give you an answer to that last question. Keep at it, bud.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Here's a little tip. Skate as if you're sitting on an imaginary chair. Try to keep your butt at that height while you're taking your strides. That should give you the knee bend that you need. Your quads will get sore at first but the muscles will adjust eventually. And if you watch a video of yourself skating, you will most likely find that you're not bending your knees as much as you felt.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I helped my brother get the basics down. This is what I noticed and then what I suggested.

He wanted to walk around or do a more forward backward motion with his feet. Its not like walking at all. Your feet go in the opposite direction. East/west is a okay way to describe it. Push to your sides to go. It isn't really any motion you would be familiar although I have heard that if you can skate skiing is easy.

Balance is another important thing. I think balance for beginners is mostly about confidence. When you are comfortable on your feet and you think less about it you will be better.

Also keep in mind too that rollerblading/skating is different than skating as well. I am an average skater at best but when it comes to rollerblading I would consider myself very very good. I use to rollerblade for hours each day and never got as much time on the ice. So there is definitely a difference between them too.

Anyways, practice makes perfect and it is very hard to start off. Especially if you can't have someone physically helping you (for my brother I was able to rollerblade with him and basically carry him to help keep his balance). Once you get it you will improve fast.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
whatever you do, DON'T get in the habit of looking down while you're skating! it completely throws off your balance and is a HORRIBLE habit to pick up.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn how to roller skate in order to join a league "eventually", but I'm having a really tough time not getting discouraged whenever I fall, all I can do is stand still, skate forwards at like <1mph, and I can't stop so I either end up stopping myself on a wall or something else. I can't turn or build up any kind of momentum without losing some or all of my balance and ending up on my ass. It just really pisses me off whenever I fall and gives me a sense of hopelessness like "This is impossible." or "This is going to take forever." And it just makes me want to stop.

Have fun, don't be afraid to fall. We were all beginners. But the only thing I will tell you for sure: if you get through the next few months (or however long it takes to feel somewhat comfortable on skates) and begin playing hockey...it will be one of the best decisions you will have ever made. Keep that in mind when you are skating.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Unless I missed something, you said you had enough gear to hit the ice, right? I'd recommend doing so and incorporating falls into your practice. I remember being a kid and our coaches having us skate, dive/fall, and get back up to continue skating. I realize you might not be good enough to do it in a fluid motion, but once you are used to falling, even if with a purpose, you won't worry about whether you fall accidentally later.

Knowing how to control yourself as you go down, as well as how to get right back up smoothly as if you're doing a choreographed stunt, will help immensely. I play in some pretty competitive leagues and I swear I was just saying a month or so ago to a teammate that it baffles me how some people are such good skaters yet can barely go down without looking like they broke a leg. Me, I'm of the camp that will go down at full speed, tumble, and still be in contention to obtain the puck when no one else fell down. If nothing else, I really feel that you will benefit from planned tumbles like that, whether it's to make you not worry about falling like I said or to help w/your balance, etc.

There's also the fact that when you're younger you're more willing to make your body do crazy **** that you know is going to hurt if you mess up. I can remember somehow pulling off crazy spin-o-rama moves ON ROLLERBLADES where I'd essentially to an ice hockey stop at full speed... when I was like 13. No way in hell I'd try that now :laugh:

I still do those stops, they're almost necessary for speed inline hockey. Back in the day, maybe 15-20 years ago, they were very commonplace where I was. I see fewer people doing them these days, not sure why.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Unless I missed something, you said you had enough gear to hit the ice, right? I'd recommend doing so and incorporating falls into your practice. I remember being a kid and our coaches having us skate, dive/fall, and get back up to continue skating. I realize you might not be good enough to do it in a fluid motion, but once you are used to falling, even if with a purpose, you won't worry about whether you fall accidentally later.

Knowing how to control yourself as you go down, as well as how to get right back up smoothly as if you're doing a choreographed stunt, will help immensely. I play in some pretty competitive leagues and I swear I was just saying a month or so ago to a teammate that it baffles me how some people are such good skaters yet can barely go down without looking like they broke a leg. Me, I'm of the camp that will go down at full speed, tumble, and still be in contention to obtain the puck when no one else fell down. If nothing else, I really feel that you will benefit from planned tumbles like that, whether it's to make you not worry about falling like I said or to help w/your balance, etc.

this is some of the best advice in this thread. when I was first learning to skate I would go to public skate with a couple of friends who had been playing a few years already. around here the public skates in the Summer are largely deserted on Friday and Saturday nights. while I would be in the corners working on my hockey stops and crossovers my friends would be in the middle of the ice working on falling and getting up. they are now REALLY good at it. I never really practiced that and as a result I really suck at it.
fyi we used to go to public skate in all pads except for shoulder pads. we'd use roller pants and girdle instead of hockey pants.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
It might take years but you will learn to skate eventually. It takes a long time to develop the muscles needed to stay balanced on skates. Just don't give up, you will be glad you stuck with it in the end.

Scoracek

Jul 9, 2016
Philadelphia, PA

I still do those stops, they're almost necessary for speed inline hockey. Back in the day, maybe 15-20 years ago, they were very commonplace where I was. I see fewer people doing them these days, not sure why.

Thanks for the great advice Ozz!

Sorry for the mixup, I mean't that I had enough equipment to play inline hockey, but a couple days ago I was thinking that since my goal was to start playing inline then ultimately play ice, I figured why not just start on ice instead? Because I've read that some people have trouble transitioning into ice skating because of all the edge work that's required. I have everything for ice hockey except shoulder pads, hockey pants, and most important of all, ice skates.

I went through the equipment buying guide stickies (Thanks so much Jarick and AIREAYE, you two rock) to try and get the stuff that's right for my experience level which is none, except for shooting on a net everyday, and the days when I was younger where we used to shoot into a garbage can (I'm sure everyone remembers those days :)). Using the guideline I managed to keep the price for everything I need at a little above $500 (skates being the most expensive of course). I've been looking around and found a few nice rinks not too far from me but I haven't found anything about when lessons to skate start since their summer sessions are either already over or in progress. In the meantime I've been practicing my stickhandling (never gonna be a dangler, rather play D but I'm 5'6 so definitely not tall enough for that position) and shooting, I think I broke one of my sticks the other day because I took too many slapshots (when I twist the blade slightly a fairly long crack opens up on the bottom of the blade), but it still hasn't lost its pop or feel to it, I hope when it finally does break, the blade goes flying so it looks spectacular as $100 flies through the air and down the drain :laugh:.

Probably going to hold off on buying the skates (unless anyone thinks it would be better to take the lessons in the skates that I'd ultimately be wearing?) until I've learned a little and feel somewhat comfortable skating and then buy them, so that'll mean I'll have to use those rental skates everyone complains about :laugh:.

I really appreciate all of the helpful tips, support and encouragement that everyone has given me :). Always have loved hockey, it's just really hard for me to do things like present something, preform or play sports in front of other people (I have social anxiety and I'm really self-conscious). Hell, trying on shoes or skates and lacing them up absolutely sucks because a sales associate sits there awkwardly staring at me the entire time and because I'm constantly worried about what they think of me, the whole process takes longer because my minds in a completely different place and I end up looking like an idiot, plus I absolutely suck at tying shoes, skates, etc. So hopefully all goes well and I don't give up on my passion to want to play because of the fear of what others might think of me when I fall or mess up in any sort of way, or even worse what I think of myself when I do those things.

Scoracek

Jul 9, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
whatever you do, DON'T get in the habit of looking down while you're skating! it completely throws off your balance and is a HORRIBLE habit to pick up.

Trust me I know that's an extremely bad thing to do just from seeing what happened to Eric Lindros and that Kronwall hit on Voracek (I believe my avatar is a pic of him just after the hit) a few years ago. I just meant for now just to get the proper skating technique down. I already kind of do have a habit of looking down when I'm stickhandling, passing and shooting (because I don't want to look like an idiot and keep running or skating without the puck and attempt a shot or pass and look like an idiot). But since I've started back up again I've gotten a lot better at keeping the puck in my peripheral vision and getting used to the feel of the puck so I don't have to look down as much as I used to, the change there has been dramatic but of course right now I'm either standing still or slowly walking around when I practice stickhandling and shooting.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Hi everyone,

What makes it even worse is that I work as a scorekeeper at an inline hockey arena and I see like 5 year olds or even younger skating everyday and it just looks and seems so simple. They offer skating lessons here, but all it is, is like 3 year olds and similar ages and I don't want to be a 19 year old giant falling every stride amongst toddlers and their parents spectating. I know this isn't something that is learned overnight, it's just extremely frustrating falling every few strides or just gliding until you run into the end boards.

I try to watch tutorials on YouTube but they're all too shallow or advanced, I haven't found a single in depth one that goes step by step working on every skill you need to skate.

Any tips/advice, or any videos to watch to learn how to skate would be really nice.

I was able to totally transform my skating by studying a power skating book written by John Wild called " Power skating :The Key to better hockey . Not sure where you could find a copy but it shouldn't be hard if you look .

LennyRi

Jun 27, 2012
Rijeka
hockey stop

i dont want to open a new thread, can you guys give some pointers how to make a hockey stop (i play inline hockey) It seems that my problem is mental fear of falling while i am at full speed and try to stop. I am usually very careful and this is the reason i lose a lot of puck battles near the boards and sometimes accidentilly bump into somebody because if innability to stop. Lately i am so frustrated by this that i am thinking about quiting the game i love so much.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
i dont want to open a new thread, can you guys give some pointers how to make a hockey stop (i play inline hockey) It seems that my problem is mental fear of falling while i am at full speed and try to stop. I am usually very careful and this is the reason i lose a lot of puck battles near the boards and sometimes accidentilly bump into somebody because if innability to stop. Lately i am so frustrated by this that i am thinking about quiting the game i love so much.

There are a few different stopping techniques, but here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr-Z9io05JM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUk0o1gjgO4

Usually, I end up using the tight C cut style in the second video. I've played inline for years and can stop, but still not as effectively as I can in ice hockey - it's actually part of my game I should work on. Having the right wheels for the surface you're playing on, as well as the right durometer for your weight, definitely helps - when a lot of players first start they end up using cheap outdoor rec wheels on sport court and it's a disaster.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
There are a few different stopping techniques, but here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr-Z9io05JM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUk0o1gjgO4

Usually, I end up using the tight C cut style in the second video. I've played inline for years and can stop, but still not as effectively as I can in ice hockey - it's actually part of my game I should work on. Having the right wheels for the surface you're playing on, as well as the right durometer for your weight, definitely helps - when a lot of players first start they end up using cheap outdoor rec wheels on sport court and it's a disaster.

The first video is how I do it. I used to play on a wood rink many years ago, and you could stop on a dime at times. Or go flying :laugh: it was so grippy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad