Not Drafting Shane Wright Discussion - So the Slafkovsky thread can be about Slafkovsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And for every player that fell to prove the scouts wrong I can probably give you 3 that proved the scouts right.

"TSN’s final rankings have Tkachuk at No. 3 and Zadina at No. 4, but there is a notable element of uncertainty there where little or none existed before.

For example, while Zadina is still very much a consensus top-five pick, relative to the other prospects, five of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN ranked him outside their top five. Five scouts had him in the top five, including three of them at No. 3, but he had three 6’s, a 7 and a 9 as well. That’s a far cry from the mid-season polling, when all of Zadina’s marks came in between 2 and 4.

“I don’t think Zadina necessarily did anything negative as much as so many others stepped up their game,” a scout said."

• Dalton Thrower: Thrower is not the biggest blueliner that will be selected in the first round, but he still plays an effective physical game. He is a silky smooth and efficient skater. His game goes well beyond the numbers, but he did finish 8th in defenseman scoring in the WHL. He can man the left or right point, delivers crisp and accurate passes, and has a blistering shot. Teammates will love going into battle with this talented blueliner.
Grigorenko had 85 points in 59 games for the Quebec Remparts this season and added another 10 points in 11 playoff contests. Grigorenko has drawn some comparisons to Hart Trophy winner Evgeni Malkin due to his size, skill and nationality, but few seem to be buying in.

Whether it's fair or not, Grigorenko has been saddled with the "typical Russian" label. The thought is that he doesn't give it his all every time he steps on the ice, and it could cause him to fall out of favor quickly
Thrower piled up the injuries, its not because of his play that he didnt pan out.

Reactions: DAChampion

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The numbers don't stack up, regardless, one played in a defense-first Liga against men, in a lesser role, plus with lesser players on his team and the other played mostly against teenagers in a more offensively driven league, all of that in a primary role for his team with the best players on it.

I would have liked to see how the larger-bodied yet skilled Slafkovsky would have killed the OHL?
Agreed except that Wright did not have a primary role. The best forwards played on the first line. He played with rookies at the beginning of the season and Chromiak and Wisdom later (and they were average at best). He was on the PP but rarely got a pass. Either his teammates were a problem or he was (ie they didn't like him).

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Agreed except that Wright did not have a primary role. The best forwards played on the first line. He played with rookies at the beginning of the season and Chromiak and Wisdom later (and they were average at best). He was on the PP but rarely got a pass. Either his teammates were a problem or he was (ie they didn't like him).

Would not be surprised at all.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Thanks for the rectification about that. That's a little troublesome if the latter part of that statement is the case?

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
next matthew tkachuk with attitude and swagger, I believe he is on the perfect team for him,
things have a way of working out .

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
They were ranked first overall at some point, pre draft by at least one or more scouting agencies.

Your nit picking on semantics doesn't change the point of my post at all, and the spelling errors on your part are kind of ironic.
It's not nit-picking; it changes the whole meaning of your argument if it's communicated using that word. MacKinnon was the consensus pick in Jones' year even if Jones was at times ranked 1st or considered tied for first. Don't say that you're open to learning and then be smug about being corrected.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's not nit-picking; it changes the whole meaning of your argument if it's communicated using that word. MacKinnon was the consensus pick in Jones' year even if Jones was at times ranked 1st or considered tied for first. Don't say that you're open to learning and then be smug about being corrected.
I remember my hometown was hosting the memorial cup the year Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin were participating right before the draft. MacKinnon definitely wasn’t the consensus pick that year. A lot of people had Jones going first overall not only because of his status as a player, but because he had family ties to Colorado. There was a bit of shock when they didn’t pick him first overall. Him dropping past Barkov and Drouin was even more surprising. Him dropping may not have had as much media drama around it as Wright because of the reasons for the drop, but it’s hard to argue there was a consensus pick that year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I remember my hometown was hosting the memorial cup the year Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin were participating right before the draft. MacKinnon definitely wasn’t the consensus pick that year. A lot of people had Jones going first overall not only because of his status as a player, but because he had family ties to Colorado. There was a bit of shock when they didn’t pick him first overall. Him dropping past Barkov and Drouin was even more surprising. Him dropping may not have had as much media drama around it as Wright because of the reasons for the drop, but it’s hard to argue there was a consensus pick that year.
Mackinnon was always going first, he was heralded as the "Next Crosby" since before his days with Shattuck. There was a few contrarian that had Jones or Drouin ahead trying to outsmart everyone. Mackinnon was first on Bobs list, and we all know that he lands every first.

Reactions: ReHabs

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB

Bob mentions at 0:41 that a unanimous 10/10 scouts that he talked to heading into '12-13 had Nate going first. The media played Nate and Seth as a #1/#2 respectively during the whole year and, though a few scouts had Seth at #1, Nate was the consensus top pick. The Memorial Cup run only solidified that. They did the same thing with Taylor/Tyler but Hall was still the consensus top pick, even if they were considered closer in talent than McDavid and the rest of his class.

The consensus, or general agreement reached, refers to one amongst scouts. If the Avs had disagreed on BPA or drafted for what they may've considered greater need then it would've been said that they went against the consensus for who would should go #1.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Mackinnon was always going first, he was heralded as the "Next Crosby" since before his days with Shattuck. There was a few contrarian that had Jones or Drouin ahead trying to outsmart everyone. Mackinnon was first on Bobs list, and we all know that he lands every first.

Bob mentions at 0:41 that a unanimous 10/10 scouts that he talked to heading into '12-13 had Nate going first. The media played Nate and Seth as a #1/#2 respectively during the whole year and, though a few scouts had Seth at #1, Nate was the consensus top pick. The Memorial Cup run only solidified that. They did the same thing with Taylor/Tyler but Hall was still the consensus top pick, even if they were considered closer in talent than McDavid and the rest of his class.

The consensus, or general agreement reached, refers to one amongst scouts. If the Avs had disagreed on BPA or drafted for what they may've considered greater need then it would've been said that they went against the consensus for who would should go #1.

Hmm, interesting. I’m just going off revisionist history admittedly. I do remember that all picks 1-4 were considered very strong that year and all the players looked the part. Can’t remember what kind of hype Barkov had tho.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The post you're quoting is a couple weeks old, why don't you tell me what issue you have with my opinion.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That's a whole lot of narrative building to try to justify how Wright will bust because he fell three spots in the draft.

And no, not everyone laughed at Ottawa. I kept saying how Zadina would bust and teams should stay away from him.

Oh and @Andy, try to stay consistent. Yesterday, you said no one knows how the picks will turn out and then you love this post from someone who picks on Wright for falling three spots. Double standard much?
You saved me from pointing this out. We only have to wait and see if we think Wright was the right pick.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
There is nothing contradictory about me liking his post. In fact it’s consistent with what I’ve been saying as we have to wait and see. He gave great examples of how peoples expectations of a prospect don’t always match how they develop.
You say wait and see, but like the pro Slaf posts, don’t pretend your mind isn’t already made up.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
That's a whole lot of narrative building to try to justify how Wright will bust because he fell three spots in the draft.

And no, not everyone laughed at Ottawa. I kept saying how Zadina would bust and teams should stay away from him.

Oh and @Andy, try to stay consistent. Yesterday, you said no one knows how the picks will turn out and then you love this post from someone who picks on Wright for falling three spots. Double standard much?
Homerism creates heaps of cognitive dissonance.

Reactions: ReHabs

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Prefer Shane Wright fine. But let’s keep are two feet on the ground. He’s a skilled offensive Center. He needs to ratchet up his pace on the ice. He’s not a big two-way Center.

Reactions: dasahgah

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Homerism creates heaps of cognitive dissonance.
The character assassination of Shane Wright was unnecessary. We’ll see what happens in due course but it’s distasteful to see fans trash a 17-18 year old prospect primarily because we didn’t draft him.

The risk of irony is (1) this draft was universally called a weak one and there was no standout 1OA which implies (2) Slafkovsky wasn’t going to be picked top-X if this was any other draft year (ie some have said none of the top3 would’ve gone top3 in 2023 draft), which follows that (3) there is a larger than usual risk of a bust or downside outcome from the pick we made since he’s not really a typical 1OA but maybe closer to a typical 5OA.

Okay — so there is nothing wrong with excitement for Slafkovsky whilst remaining a bit humble and hoping for the best. There is absolutely no need to trash Wright or to pretend Slafkovsky is a guaranteed success… it’ll blow back in our faces, this can be guaranteed.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Projection much? I know nothing of Slaf other than highlight reels and other people’s descriptions of his game. I have no idea if he will bust or boom and I will wait and see how his development will go.

Since I am a fan of the Canadiens, I hope he will develop into a star, but I have no way of knowing if he will. I won’t pretend like I have any insight into his future. He’s good pretty good tools from those highlight videos, but they are highlight videos

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
If you supposed to be an elite player and yet you cant command respect, or at least take the bull by the horn with average players, then the problem is exactly there. Nothing will be handed in the NHL

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

NoT dYNAmiC

Edit: Lmao, okay thats funny. I searched this thread up to post this and I told myself Id post it in the OOT thread instead, to not create the big troll job. I guess my brain had other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad