Nostalgia: Do the sens win the cup if they trade for Gary Roberts

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The Sens win a cup if they have a goalie back in the day.

That'll always be the everlasting impression I have of those teams.

Great teams, needed a goalie.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
The Sens were not a 40 year old Gary Roberts away from winning the Cup in any season.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Senators just had terrible luck during their window to win the Cup.

They were a goal away from the cup finals in 2003. When a series comes down to a single goal in a game 7, it's safe to say things could have gone either way.

They signed one of the best goalies in the world in 2004, but there was a lockout.

They were the best team in the regular season in 2005-2006, but Hasek went down, and they couldn't win in the playoffs.

Apparently, Hasek wanted to stay in Ottawa for the 2006-2007 season, but the team refused to go with him as a fall out to his injury, and his refusal to play. (No idea what the story is here, just speculation). Had Hasek not been injured, would he have stayed with Ottawa as their starter for a second season? Hasek had a .923 save percentage with Detroit in the playoffs that year.

Maybe it's a reach, but with better luck, the Senators could have won the cup any year in those four seasons. Bad luck, and maybe a few bad choices robbed them of a potential mini dynasty.

That's hockey I guess.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Haha, no. But I'd say they at least take another game or two from the Ducks if they don't dump Marty Havlat and find the cap space to keep him for one more year. That would have given us two real lines instead of just the Pizza line.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Gary Roberts would have certainly helped but he was not the only missing piece and I don't know about the return Florida was looking for. I believe it was Vermette. Now Vermette did not have a lot of points in the 07 run but he was instrumental on the PK and as our 3rd centre.

Having said that.

Having Roberts playing with Spezza-Heatley and Alfi-Fisher on the 2nd makes us deeper and harder to check.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I like when Melnyk was asked a question about that after Mucks was fired. Melnyk responded with obscurities and general comments without getting into the technical details...I doubt he has any idea who Gary Roberts is.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm gonna say who knows.

The team in the finals lacked grit and determination outside of Fisher and Alfredsson. Roberts was a pain in the ass in the series we played against Pitts even though we beat them with ease.

Roberts would have give us top 6 physical and character play on one of our top 2 lines. Could have changed dynamics of games 1 and 2.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
roberts+too+much+man.jpg

This will never get old

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I hear it all the time by Leafs fan but it's true. This fanbase, mostly the anglophone portion have an obsession with the Leafs. I won't go as far as saying it's an inferiority complex but there is definitely an obsession.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If we're talking about one player making a difference, I think it's pretty much a guarantee we would have won the Cup in 06 if Hasek was healthy all season.

Edmonton and Carolina in the Finals... We could have swept Edmonton...

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
In 2007 Gary Roberts would not have helped us win the Cup, Anaheim was just that much better.

But speaking of former Flames/Maple Leafs I had often thought the 2002 Free Agent aquisition of Doug Gilmour was one of the worst signings we didn't make.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Nah, we had Oleg "Freakin'" Saprykin! Who needs Roberts?

Honestly, I thought Saprykin, McAmmond and Eaves was our best line through most of those playoffs as I remember it. They were always dangerous and added real energy to the game. I wish we'd have a line like that again as a fourth line rather than GSN.

Pronger's elbow taking out Deanomac was the nail in the coffin for that series.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes & they should have McGratton in the lineup to go after Pronger after he knocked out Deano with a dirty elbow but as always the Sens did nothing about that, instead they turned the other cheek as they usually do.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yes & they should have McGratton in the lineup to go after Pronger after he knocked out Deano with a dirty elbow but as always the Sens did nothing about that, instead they turned the other cheek as they usually do.

So then you'd be down two players. In the playoffs especially, you need as many fresh legs as possible. What a horrible strategy,

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Nope. I like Roberts and all and the guy had a great career but we where not a Gary Roberts away at any time from winning the Cup.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The Sens win the cup with hasek+ chara+ Hossa. So yeah that means no heatley. Not saying heater was the reason we lost. But those three probably help us beat the ducks. And we also win the cup the year
Previous as well. So 100% sure we win one of those years. I know it's hard to win back to back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad