Nosek picked by Las Vegas

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Could be Sbisa switched to Skille from Vancouver, or something more meaningless.

Skille makes $0, Sbisa makes $4.6M ($3.6M salary + $1M bonus). I highly doubt they'd flip a $5M switch like that on an oopsie daisy.

Nosek in for XO actually makes sense - similar salaries, age, and potential outlook.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Skille makes $0, Sbisa makes $4.6M ($3.6M salary + $1M bonus). I highly doubt they'd flip a $5M switch like that on an oopsie daisy.

Nosek in for XO actually makes sense - similar salaries, age, and potential outlook.

And skating

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

They already said the changing decision was made with the Buffalo pick.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Helene St. James‏Verified account @HeleneStJames

Hearing Tomas Nosek going to Vegas. If so, quite an indictment on some of NHLers Red Wings made available.

Really?! No ****. The wings are terrible and lost a 4th line nhler at best.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Seems like it worked out as good as could've been for the Wings. Nosek could've been a player for them but they don't lose any of the defensemen and they still can decide on what to do with Mrazek as a trade piece.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Let's open this thread back up when he's centering the 3rd line in Vegas by mid-season.

So, you're gonna act all upset about this...and then in the end, in your mind he is a 3rd line guy on an expansion team?

And people complaining about this by comparing it to losing Jarnkrok and Janmark like that means something?
Jarnkrok and Janmark are 3rd/4th line forwards. We have about 20 of those in the organization. Lack of 3rd and 4th line forwards is not the issue here.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Would have been nice to see Nosek, but we don't have any real center spots available.

These are kind of locks.

----- Zeta ---
---- Larkin ---
--- Nielsen ---
-- Glendening --

(spare parts: Helm, Sheahan)

Would rather have Nosek up there in 4 tbh.

Oh well, he plays for my new favorite team now! :naughty:

chris05

May 23, 2013
"Tomas Nosek had a pretty good age 24 season in the AHL. When Riley Sheahan was 24, he was finishing up his 3rd season in the NHL."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good joke........Mantha started the season in the AHL....Larkin started the season in the NHL. ..(a bigger joke)

It took Nosek about 5 to 6 games to get his first NHL goal. The way you keep 25 year playoff streaks alive is by playing players who can contribute to team wins. Team sponsors and season ticket holders were hosed big time by managements decisions.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Detroit drafts Nosek's all the time. A big part of their problem is that they draft so many Nosek's it clutters the prospect pipeline. If there were a few less Nosek's, the Nosek's remaining would have more room to stretch at the AHL level and perhaps show a little bit more than Nosek's typically do.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It took Nosek about 5 to 6 games to get his first NHL goal. The way you keep 25 year playoff streaks alive is by playing players who can contribute to team wins. Team sponsors and season ticket holders were hosed big time by managements decisions.

Are you saying that players like Nosek are they ones that keep playoff steaks alive and keep sponsors and fans happy?

because if so... that is very dumb

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Are you saying that players like Nosek are they ones that keep playoff steaks alive and keep sponsors and fans happy?

because if so... that is very dumb

I don't think that's what Chris is saying at all. I think the point is that spots should go to guys who earn it day in and day out and not gifted because they are vets or whatever, something that may have been a bit of an issue in the past with the likes of Bert, Sammy, Cleary, Miller, arguably Sheahan last year.

I'm not sure who we'll have around this year to play that role, though. Maybe we'll sign someone. :naughty:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't think that's what Chris is saying at all. I think the point is that spots should go to guys who earn it day in and day out and not gifted because they are vets or whatever, something that may have been a bit of an issue in the past with the likes of Bert, Sammy, Cleary, Miller, arguably Sheahan last year.

I'm not sure who we'll have around this year to play that role, though. Maybe we'll sign someone. :naughty:

Tyler Bertuzzi is projected to be part of the future. Tomas Nosek was not. Wings could afford to lose him or Glendenning.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Well, this was pretty high on the likely-best-case list. I had an, I think, reasonable hope that they'd take Helm, but that was about the only ugly contract that had any chance of being moved.

It's unfortunate they didn't like Sheahan, but only because I think there's no chance he gets traded, and a very, very high chance he's the next multi-year, multi-million-dollar extension that Holland saddles the team with.

It's unfortunate they didn't take Mrazek, now that the organization has seemingly given up on him. I don't think there's any real chance he stays in Detroit long term, no matter how well he plays this year or next year. That said, it seems clear that he has essentially no trade value (real shocker, there), so fans can hope he plays like a Vezina-caliber goalie this year to rebuild that, but otherwise a second (or even a third, really) is an absurd pipe dream.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
It's unfortunate they didn't like Sheahan, but only because I think there's no chance he gets traded, and a very, very high chance he's the next multi-year, multi-million-dollar extension that Holland saddles the team with.

Heh.

If Sheahan bounces back and scores in the teens he'll probably get a 3-4 year RFA deal in the low 2's. If he doesn't, he won't. He'll probably get a tender, depending on how he does, but not much beyond that. More likely he'd get moved.

It's unfortunate they didn't take Mrazek, now that the organization has seemingly given up on him. I don't think there's any real chance he stays in Detroit long term, no matter how well he plays this year or next year. That said, it seems clear that he has essentially no trade value (real shocker, there), so fans can hope he plays like a Vezina-caliber goalie this year to rebuild that, but otherwise a second (or even a third, really) is an absurd pipe dream.

Agree. Right now Mrazek at 4mil has 0 value. If he has a strong year he'll be tradeable, probably for a 3rd, but at this point I don't see either Holland extending another multi-year to Mrazek or Mrazek signing it if he did.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
So, you're gonna act all upset about this...and then in the end, in your mind he is a 3rd line guy on an expansion team?

And people complaining about this by comparing it to losing Jarnkrok and Janmark like that means something?
Jarnkrok and Janmark are 3rd/4th line forwards. We have about 20 of those in the organization. Lack of 3rd and 4th line forwards is not the issue here.

Jarnkrok and Janmark are 2nd/3rd line forwards. I don't know where you get 4th line material from.

4th liners generally player under 11 minutes a game (sometimes 12 if team takes tons of penalties). Find me a forward on Detroit who put up 30 points playing under 11 minutes a game.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Heh.

If Sheahan bounces back and scores in the teens he'll probably get a 3-4 year RFA deal in the low 2's. If he doesn't, he won't. He'll probably get a tender, depending on how he does, but not much beyond that. More likely he'd get moved.

I'm far more pessimistic, since he seems to have gotten the 'lifer' treatment (with regards to playtime with no expectations around quality of play), but I'm perfectly willing to accept that it's nothing more than pure, unbridled pessimism and disillusionment.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Really?! No ****. The wings are terrible and lost a 4th line nhler at best.

It's funny to hear that from St. James. Isn't she usually a mouthpiece for the organization?

Maybe this was Holland's plan all along. Stick a bunch of players on bad contracts so he won't have to protect them in the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad