Norwegian top prospects?

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Can any norwegian here tell me what players are you best prospects and which players could get drafted in 2013,2014,2015 NHL drafts,Thanks :)

As Andersej has in the 2013 draft threat (class 1995): Markus Søberg, Mattias Nørstebø and Jørgen Karterud.
For 2014 (class 1996) there is Martin Rønnild (Brynäs) that might be promising. Also found the following: Stian Kaltrud Nystuen (Lillehammer) that has debuted in the Norwegian league & Sander René Berg (HV71) in Sweden.
2015....no idea.

But 2013 draft look a lot stronger than 2014.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1228021-2012-nhl-draft-prospects-thomas-narmo
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=73408
This huge overaged goalie quietly had himself a very good season in the Norwegian juniors, and a likely 1. keeper at the world juniors next year. He could be a steal in a late round this year if anyone cathes him on the radar. Supposed to have very good worl ethics, needs some work on his skating but was probably well coached in Valerenga this year along side Steffen Søberg (Caps drafted 2011 and Norwegian intenational.) He will get a lot of work in the next year juniors but obviously attract more interest after that tourney. High upside, and no current interest?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1228021-2012-nhl-draft-prospects-thomas-narmo
This huge overaged goalie quietly had himself a very good season in the Norwegian juniors, and a likely 1. keeper at the world juniors next year. He could be a steal in a late round this year if anyone cathes him on the radar. Supposed to have very good worl ethics, needs some work on his skating but was probably well coached in Valerenga this year along side Steffen Søberg (Caps drafted 2011 and Norwegian intenational.) He will get a lot of work in the next year juniors but obviously attract more interest after that tourney. High upside, and no current interest?

Quite impressive regular SVS% this season. Amazing how many goalie talents Norway produces lately! Since huge goalies have tons more chance of being drafted than small goalies, he might have a better chance than George Sørensen.

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok

Narmo is probably going to the states for NCAA hockey next year. That might make him more interesting for NHL scouts than staying in Norway, but honestly I would like to see him play on a higher level than Norwegian juniors before talking about his draft status.

Of the other guys here I would say that Karterud should have a decent chanse, he has great potential and great size. Could be a late pick by a scout that has him as a personal favourite, sounds like something Vancouver or Detroit could pick up. I know that HÃ¥kan Andersson has been at Jordal (VÃ¥lerengas homerink) this season, probably only to keep updated on Norwegian hockey.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Narmo is probably going to the states for NCAA hockey next year. That might make him more interesting for NHL scouts than staying in Norway, but honestly I would like to see him play on a higher level than Norwegian juniors before talking about his draft status.

Of the other guys here I would say that Karterud should have a decent chanse, he has great potential and great size. Could be a late pick by a scout that has him as a personal favourite, sounds like something Vancouver or Detroit could pick up. I know that HÃ¥kan Andersson has been at Jordal (VÃ¥lerengas homerink) this season, probably only to keep updated on Norwegian hockey.

So Karterud might actually have a better draft chance than Nørstebø simply based on the size advantage!

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
So Karterud might actually have a better draft chance than Nørstebø simply based on the size advantage!

I would think so because undersized D-men usually has to be something really special to get drafted and especially undersized D-men from smaller countries that has never played in the top World juniors. Nørstebø has everything working against him. ¨

I have been very impressed by Karterud this year and if he played in a different team his stats would have been very different. His team VÃ¥lerenga had one of the best forward crops in Norwegian hockey ever this season so he has mainly played on the 3rd and 4th line. He is a good skater and he is very strong on the puck.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010

Didn't know about the NCAA news. Good thing he didn't get any GET League minutes this year then. Georg Sørensen was fantastic at the juniors this year, but at 178 he'd be the smallest goalie draftet in a while think. He might still be growing though..

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Didn't know about the NCAA news. Good thing he didn't get any GET League minutes this year then. Georg Sørensen was fantastic at the juniors this year, but at 178 he'd be the smallest goalie draftet in a while think. He might still be growing though..

But since Denmark have likely lost Frederik Andersen to AHL/NHL it might be good to have an promising goalie staying in europe.

Which of the Norwegiaan goalie prospects are most promising in your opinion?
Lars Volden, Steffen Søberg or will Lars Haugen be running the norwegian goal the next couple of years??

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Not a goalie expert but I think Haugen will be the # 1 option for foreseable future. Søberg is still unproven at top level, Volden needs some consistency at top level. I think maybe Volden has the highest potential of the three, but the next couple of seasons will be crucial to their careers. None of them are where they want to be at club level: Haugen might be on his way to Sweden, Søberg still in Norway and Volden yet to be 1st choice for Blues. Really impressed with Haugen's performance under difficult sircumtances in Belarusia, while clearly the best goalie he was demoted for large parts to the domestic leauge, but still impressively stable. Volden played great in SM liiga for periods and then all of a sudden had a horrible game.This will be better with age. Søberg is a hardhead. He's a winner, maybe the most talented, but his size may be a hinder at top level. Norway always had a goalie problem untill 2010 but unlikely to have it next decade, thats a good thing:) I think Volden is the one most likely to end up in the NHL, but this is wild (uneducated) guess.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Not a goalie expert but I think Haugen will be the # 1 option for foreseable future. Søberg is still unproven at top level, Volden needs some consistency at top level. I think maybe Volden has the highest potential of the three, but the next couple of seasons will be crucial to their careers. None of them are where they want to be at club level: Haugen might be on his way to Sweden, Søberg still in Norway and Volden yet to be 1st choice for Blues. Really impressed with Haugen's performance under difficult sircumtances in Belarusia, while clearly the best goalie he was demoted for large parts to the domestic leauge, but still impressively stable. Volden played great in SM liiga for periods and then all of a sudden had a horrible game.This will be better with age. Søberg is a hardhead. He's a winner, maybe the most talented, but his size may be a hinder at top level. Norway always had a goalie problem untill 2010 but unlikely to have it next decade, thats a good thing:) I think Volden is the one most likely to end up in the NHL, but this is wild (uneducated) guess.

So at this point it can be anyone of them. Steffen Søberg's size may hinder an NHL career but not necessarily a great Norwegian NT career. Haugen is actually not that much bigger, so for an NHL career Volden is most likely in that regard.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So at this point it can be anyone of them. Steffen Søberg's size may hinder an NHL career but not necessarily a great Norwegian NT career. Haugen is actually not that much bigger, so for an NHL career Volden is most likely in that regard.

Yep could still play in KHL like Haugen and given the recent norwegian increase in KHL,its not out of the realm of possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad