Newsday: Northwell Health Ice Center

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I'm impressed. The upgrade to an already very high end facility makes this state of the art.
I live in South Jersey, pretty far from there, but I had the opportunity to view the facility last year when I was at a swim meet next door at the NC Aquatic Center.
I will be going back to that swim meet in December and will check out the Northwell upgrades. One thing they needed to improve on was the Islander Hall of Fame wall.
Nothing really wrong with it, but it could have been improved on, made grander to suit the great names on plaques.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Can anyone comment on what the facility looked like before and it is now considered "state of the art"?

Would love to know where all NHL players would rank the new training facility amongst all the other ones in the NHL. Renovations mean nothing if the players still aren't impressed.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Can anyone comment on what the facility looked like before and it is now considered "state of the art"?

Would love to know where all NHL players would rank the new training facility amongst all the other ones in the NHL. Renovations mean nothing if the players still aren't impressed.

I’ve played for 16 years and it was the nicest rink I’ve been to before the Isles took over. I think these renovations were designed to turn it from a standard public rink into an actual practice facility. The article on NHL.com said it’s regarded as top 5 now by league officials.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee

It was already a VERY nice center facility prior to the islanders even buying it from the town when it was still called "twin rinks". They did some small cosmetic stuff to turn it into an "official" practice facility, but having dumped 7 mil more into it....it's gotta be amazing now. It looked pretty damn sick in the video. I wouldnt be surprised if their locker room is nicer there then at Barclays

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It was already a VERY nice center facility prior to the islanders even buying it from the town when it was still called "twin rinks". They did some small cosmetic stuff to turn it into an "official" practice facility, but having dumped 7 mil more into it....it's gotta be amazing now. It looked pretty damn sick in the video. I wouldnt be surprised if their locker room is nicer there then at Barclays

In the video there was a set of lockers that looks so tight - Like wouldn't be room for more than 2 players to change at once.

That said, overall I would love to know what the players think.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
In the video there was a set of lockers that looks so tight - Like wouldn't be room for more than 2 players to change at once.

It looked like there was a regular locker room type dressing area(in which you were referring to) and then a regular locker room for the players to get dressed and to get out on the ice. So pretty much 1 area for on ice days and another for off ice days.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I read another article recently that said that it was 7 million total in renovations and includes accommodations for the coaches, an underwater treadmill and cryochamber for rehabbing, as well as a world class private chef. Maybe I read it in one of the articles linked above. I haven't opened either from the OP, but maybe it was the same article I ran across on my own.

Ledecky said in the article he intended it so players wouldn't have to go anywhere else for their needs.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

I think that tight locker room is where the players change from their street clothes into team gear. Don't think that a room like that needs to have so much space.

It is however, pretty tight I will say that lol.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
These sorts of improvements and the gesture that it makes toward the players is one (albeit small) piece for NYI making the case to Tavares that he should stay. I wouldn't be shocked if he mentioned the facility to ownership at some point in the past 24 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad