North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Agreed re: Pasquale. This team, as presently constituted, might be hard pressed to score many goals. Looking at the schedule a week ago, I thought 3 games vs. top Div. rivals might, under ideal circumstances, yield a split with 3 points. Although I also thought losing the first 3 out of the gate was a distinct possibility. Well done Troops with the split.

About 5 years ago, import Egor Postnov became a fan favourite (prior to his release) with 1G in 17 GP. Iggy Pazii might reach the same heights with 2G in his first 3GP.

It appears that Cap’n Arny might still be with FLA, although he was not in the lineup for their loss vs. Senators today. I wonder if he and his 76 career points in 3 OHL seasons will be back with the Battalion soon.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Pazii again, the rest of the second line seems asleep offensively but at least the youngster is going well, only saw the last ten minutes today though, was Kostuch good?
I thought Kostuch was quite good for a 20th picked true rookie. He did not shy away from the puck or contact. He appears wanting to be involved offensively and defensively.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agreed re: Pasquale. This team, as presently constituted, might be hard pressed to score many goals. Looking at the schedule a week ago, I thought 3 games vs. top Div. rivals might, under ideal circumstances, yield a split with 3 points. Although I also thought losing the first 3 out of the gate was a distinct possibility. Well done Troops with the split.

About 5 years ago, import Egor Postnov became a fan favourite (prior to his release) with 1G in 17 GP. Iggy Pazii might reach the same heights with 2G in his first 3GP.

It appears that Cap’n Arny might still be with FLA, although he was not in the lineup for their loss vs. Senators today. I wonder if he and his 76 career points in 3 OHL seasons will be back with the Battalion soon.
Arnsby should give the battalion three lines and help the offence a lot I think.
Therrien looked pretty darn good today.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
FLA Panthers have assigned Cap’n Arny back to the Battalion. It seems to me someone somewhere reported him as being injured while there, but I have gone back looking and can’t find this reference. Let’s hope he is game ready for the weekend trip.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
What are your thoughts so far on 8 Brice Cooke? Hasn't shown much pre season & reg season!

Reactions: Uncle

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What are your thoughts so far on 8 Brice Cooke? Hasn't shown much pre season & reg season!
On one occasion he looked faster than I remember previously.
Coach & GM see something, potentially good OA?

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Wise decision to start Robertson vs. Windsor? With the undefeated Knights tonight, we may limp home with a single point from this early roadie.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
Wise decision to start Robertson vs. Windsor? With the undefeated Knights tonight, we may limp home with a single point from this early roadie
What would your stance be had we won last night and having our #1 going tonight.

Hindsight is wonderful, isn’t it?

Reactions: LDN

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
What would your stance be had we won last night and having our #1 going tonight.

Hindsight is wonderful, isn’t it?
Not hindsight. I would have started DD against the weaker team. Probably got the deuce then tonight's game is a bonus. There's a reason I'm not a coach...lol!

Reactions: dirty12

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Therrien looked great last night and will be finding more ice time if his high motor play continues

Reactions: dirty12

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
What a total team effort tonight
Big win 4-1, not a happy crowd leaving the Bud tonight.
3 out of possible 4 points in 48 hrs. is Super, wish double D could play every game. Go Troops Go!

Reactions: The Green Tank

The Green Tank

Jun 5, 2021
That was a nice win. Dom D is outstanding. Kostuch first career goal was nice! He’s starting to look more comfortable. OVS was the unsung hero today.

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
That might have been Justin Ertel’s best game with the Battalion. His rub out of the puck carrier along the boards led directly to the OVS empty netter, no assist awarded. It seemed he was on and around the puck almost all of his shifts.

No DDV, no win – what a difference maker. His 1.26 / .955 numbers are probably not sustainable, but they sure look neat in the early going.

The 5 min. kill might have been the TSN Turning Point. I thought the Troops turned up the wick for the first half of the penalty and were routinely on the attack (no pun intended) while playing short handed.

There was a neat post game moment when future Jets Dom (7th round, ’22) and Colby Barlow (1st round, ’23) had a chat at centre ice.

It appears that the team will be hard pressed to produce offence. The team has 9 players who have played between 1 and 6 games with 0 points. Just to illustrate, G Charlie Robertson has more points, 1 in 2GP, than this group’s total. Perhaps more concerning: Ty Nelson has 2 points in 5 games. I know, it’s early, but ...

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Some (more) observations from Mon. NB 3 OS 1:

Did anyone find it curious that Coach went with an 11 / 7 configuration, then played 7th (Zac Wilson) a total of (I think) 2 shifts? Then in the second half (approx.) of the game, Brayden Turley rarely saw the ice, dropping the group effectively to 5. With the ejection, forwards dropped to 10. It might speak to how thin the forward group is, especially with various injuries (more on this below).

Watching the replay, if there were 4 stars awarded, I believe Tnias would have been it. He had a number of blocked shots and seemed to move the puck up and out often.

Is it too early to call the Brice Cooke / Stefan Forgione experiments somewhat less than a success?

Notes from Wed. afternoon’s workout:

Liam Arnsby was in regular gear, apparently just having escaped from red non-contact. He appeared to be going at full speed, and if he’s not in Thursday vs. OTT, then I would bet Sun. vs. OSH. Cooke was in red.

There was a player wearing #20 with a full face guard, no such number in the season stats. Might be a call up or there was a trade when I wasn’t looking.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
Some (more) observations from Mon. NB 3 OS 1:

Did anyone find it curious that Coach went with an 11 / 7 configuration, then played 7th (Zac Wilson) a total of (I think) 2 shifts? Then in the second half (approx.) of the game, Brayden Turley rarely saw the ice, dropping the group effectively to 5. With the ejection, forwards dropped to 10. It might speak to how thin the forward group is, especially with various injuries (more on this below).

Watching the replay, if there were 4 stars awarded, I believe Tnias would have been it. He had a number of blocked shots and seemed to move the puck up and out often.

Is it too early to call the Brice Cooke / Stefan Forgione experiments somewhat less than a success?

Notes from Wed. afternoon’s workout:

Liam Arnsby was in regular gear, apparently just having escaped from red non-contact. He appeared to be going at full speed, and if he’s not in Thursday vs. OTT, then I would bet Sun. vs. OSH. Cooke was in red.

There was a player wearing #20 with a full face guard, no such number in the season stats. Might be a call up or there was a trade when I wasn’t looking.
Reyth Smith, signed and plays in Powassan. He’ll be practicing from time to time and ready if they need him.

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Tonight back to traditional 12 / 6 alignment. Nolan Laird (F) is in, Zac Wilson (D) is out, no Cap'n Arny, DDV has the net. 1900+ remain available, doesn’t look like staff will need to get out the shoehorns to wedge people in.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Theberge- where is he tonight? This other guy sounds like he's a helicopter.

Last edited:

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
At this point, what do you lot think? While it would suck to let the like s of Nelson or DDV go, after tonight I think a major shakeup could (should?) be in order. DDV is a backbone in net - but if he doesn't pitch a shut out(or close to it) this team has major issues scoring. Personally (and I'd hate to do it), I'd be looking for a major deal for Ty Nelson.....perhaps a great playmaker down the middle, or a finisher on the wing. A suitcase load of picks would lessen the blow too - but who might be available player wise in return for such a major shake up?

Reactions: StormWatcher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad