North Bay Battalion 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Very early still, but right now I see it as;
Sudbury - I believe adds a lot
Kingston
NB - may sell if SBY goes bonkers, otherwise trades excess OAs, maybe Robertson & Rismond if adding
Barrie, Brantford, Miss, Ottawa as middle four

Reactions: Monster66

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Kingston
NB - may sell if SBY goes bonkers, otherwise trades excess OAs, maybe Robertson & Rismond if adding
If the Robertson you are referencing is Tucker Robertson I doubt he is going to be playing in the OHL this season. He has signed in Seattle. If he is back I am not sure the Petes will trade him. If they do trade him it will be at the deadline and they will want a lot for him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If the Robertson you are referencing is Tucker Robertson I doubt he is going to be playing in the OHL this season. He has signed in Seattle. If he is back I am not sure the Petes will trade him. If they do trade him it will be at the deadline and they will want a lot for him.
NB goaltender Charlie Robertson.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Kingston
In regards to North Bay you are saying they will be able to add by selling their excess overages. What are you expecting they will get for their excess overages? Are you thinking they will take the draft picks they get for them and trade them for players or are you thinking they will get players for them? They likely will not get players for their excess overagers prior to the start and early in the season as they usually only go for draft picks. A player can be part of a deal for an elite overage at the deadline. I expect the Petes could get a player for players like Tucker Robertson or JR Avon if they were return and are traded at the deadline and North Bay may be able get a player for someone like Josh Bloom at deadline.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Future starter, doesn't hold a ton of trade value since he isn't established.

Tough to see them as buyers this year. Too many holes to fill, not enough trade capital.

They'll likely be middle of the pack, but it just makes sense to flip Dom and Nelson and let the younger core see how far they can get.
I agree. North Bay only has five forwards including two overages who contributed offensively this past season. They have had key losses on defence. They could trade those two players for a couple of young players and draft picks. They are entering a rebuilding phase just like Peterborough, Ottawa, Windsor and Sarnia are.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In regards to North Bay you are saying they will be able to add by selling their excess overages. What are you expecting they will get for their excess overages? Are you thinking they will take the draft picks they get for them and trade them for players or are you thinking they will get players for them? They likely will not get players for their excess overagers prior to the start and early in the season as they usually only go for draft picks. A player can be part of a deal for an elite overage at the deadline. I expect the Petes could get a player for players like Tucker Robertson or JR Avon if they were return and are traded at the deadline and North Bay may be able get a player for someone like Josh Bloom at deadline.
I’m saying NB could add a player or two using extra picks, trading one of their 3 goaltenders, and one of their two ‘06 LD. The team will have 5-6 LD and 3 RD (if Christopolous is kept),
The Battalion will have extra picks, though mostly 5ths & 6ths. They might have 7-OAs to keep and trade. Once the Fantili ‘24-2nd* & ’25-2nd* picks are returned, NB is missing ‘26-2nd, ‘24-3rd, & (‘25-3rd if Zito plays an OA season).

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree. North Bay only has five forwards including two overages who contributed offensively this past season. They have had key losses on defence. They could trade those two players for a couple of young players and draft picks. They are entering a rebuilding phase just like Peterborough, Ottawa, Windsor and Sarnia are.
Ottawa and NB are not entering a rebuilding stage like Peterborough, Sarnia, and Windsor.
Ottawa will likely recoup some picks this season, then compete for first in the east division the following season. The ‘67s are in fine shape in terms of players born 2005-07.
If only trading excess OAs this season, NB will have extra picks and 8 signed 2006 born. Though no matter what NB does this season, the team will be near the bottom of the conference in 2024-25. That should be the year NB considers selling and be a lottery team imo.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Future starter, doesn't hold a ton of trade value since he isn't established.

Tough to see them as buyers this year. Too many holes to fill, not enough trade capital.

They'll likely be middle of the pack, but it just makes sense to flip Dom and Nelson and let the younger core see how far they can get.
If at the deadline it does not look like the Battalion will go into the playoffs top 4, by all means sell. But I do not think it is practical to trade players just because they are at peak value. The team will want to sell tickets and compete while it can.
Considering the eastern conference is at this time significantly weaker than last season and quite possibly will be the strongest it has ever been in 2025-26, I do not see a good reason to expedite a rebuild right now.

Check out the 2005-07 born of Barrie & Mississauga especially, and Oshawa, Ottawa, Kingston, Brantford, Niagara, and Sudbury. Players will no doubt change teams, but not enough to change the outlook for NB. I think it’s fair to conclude that NB will not be a conference contender in the two seasons 2024-26.

Monster66

Aug 31, 2022
Almost zero chance JBloom is back - he's is signed and as a 20 year old will likely play in Abbottsford next season.

Reactions: belair

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Dennis gave up 2 conditional draft picks to get Zito. I'm gonna assume at least one of those is if he plays this year. What happens to those picks if he's traded to another ohl team?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dennis gave up 2 conditional draft picks to get Zito. I'm gonna assume at least one of those is if he plays this year. What happens to those picks if he's traded to another ohl team?
I presume NB ‘25-3rd* & Kitchener ‘25-5th go to Niagara on the condition of Zito playing one OHL game as an OA. As well, a 4th & 6th goes to Windsor via Niagara if he plays as an OA.
It would be great if he does return as his pre-season trade value is probably around 2, 3, 3, 5.

Reactions: Samee987

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
they are still owed to niagara. so if they trade zito, it will only be worth it if the get similiar picks back plus.

Reactions: Samee987

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Who do you think wears letters this season? Arnsby keeps the 'C' (until he's traded at Christmas).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Ertle will be traded and the Soo is an obvious first choice. What do you think is a reasonable return for a player like Ertle? 3rd rounder?
Easy 3, 4 most years. But there could be a surplus with similar in value big OA LW Savard, Martin, Gilmartin also possibly available. I think Ertel is the best playmaker of the bunch, but possibly has the least net presence.

Last edited:

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Easy 3, 4 most years. But there could be a surplus with similar in value big OA LW Savard, Martin, Gilmartin also possibly available. I think Ertel is the best playmaker of the bunch, but possibly has the least net presence.
Ertel is also is a physical presence....which this team needs.

Reactions: dirty12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad