North Bay Battalion 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Mason Primeau signs his ELC with the Vegas Golden Knights.

3 assists in 10 games for their AHL affiliate the Henderson Silver Knights this year and 1 goal and 2 assists in 4 games for the ECHL Fort Wayne Comets.

I guess that means he's not coming back.

Reactions: O fan

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
If that is the case (Primeau not returning) then the upcoming draft tonight becomes even more important. At #11, who are we thinking the Battalion should take (and why?) - do they draft for need, or do they go for best player available regardless of position?

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
There is an article in today’s Bay Today re: the draft process through the eyes of Adam Dennis. The article lists 4 players who, according to sources, the team may consider with the 1st round, 11th overall pick. It is somewhat interesting to compare these with rankings of others. Opinions can often differ widely, and the pandemic is certainly underlining this.

Bay Today quoting sources as Battalion may consider these at Pick No. 11

Brock’s Mock

Toronto Star’s draft ranking

Angus MacDonell Marlboros

Alex Pharand SBY Sons

Not ranked

Carson Rehkopf Jr. Canadiens (tendered to USHL, will have to play at least 1 season there)

(if you can reach pre-draft agreement to come to OHL for season 2)

8 (acknowledging dark cloud of USHL commitment)

Nicholas Sima Jr. Canadiens

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Given the various lists, does anyone have any opinions &/or hopes and desires? Should the team consider any of the local players recently profiled? I presume they will not select Carson Rehkopf, as I don’t believe the team can afford a swing and a miss in the first round, even for 1 season.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
There is an article in today’s Bay Today re: the draft process through the eyes of Adam Dennis. The article lists 4 players who, according to sources, the team may consider with the 1st round, 11th overall pick. It is somewhat interesting to compare these with rankings of others. Opinions can often differ widely, and the pandemic is certainly underlining this.

Bay Today quoting sources as Battalion may consider these at Pick No. 11Brock’s MockToronto Star’s draft ranking
Angus MacDonell Marlboros 25 24
Alex Pharand SBY Sons 38 Not ranked
Carson Rehkopf Jr. Canadiens (tendered to USHL, will have to play at least 1 season there) 7
(if you can reach pre-draft agreement to come to OHL for season 2)
8 (acknowledging dark cloud of USHL commitment)
Nicholas Sima Jr. Canadiens621
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Given the various lists, does anyone have any opinions &/or hopes and desires? Should the team consider any of the local players recently profiled? I presume they will not select Carson Rehkopf, as I don’t believe the team can afford a swing and a miss in the first round, even for 1 season.
Im firm believer of picking the best available in the first round, those projections seem low, we should be picking the next up. Regardless of hometown

Also not sure Mason Primeau is cut out for pro hockey next year, I wouldnt count out him returning...

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

6'3 Owen Outwater of the Oakville Rangers. Big-bodied center to eventually fill the role left by the departing Mason Primeau.

Reactions: Samee987 and Uncle

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Between outwater, sima and wakely we have a large influx of heavy shots! Lots of goals to come. Not to mention Alex christopolous who had a veteran shot in his rookie year

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
North Bay gets Sima at 27 - everyone I've spoken to so far says this pick is an absoulte steal....what do you all think?
Reminds me of the steal wakely last year in the second round. We have been drafting extremely well!

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Im firm believer of picking the best available in the first round, those projections seem low, we should be picking the next up. Regardless of hometown

Also not sure Mason Primeau is cut out for pro hockey next year, I wouldnt count out him returning...
He's a signed 20 year old. He'd be an overage player next season and has the ability to play pro hockey, which is usually better for his professional development. I think chances are very low that he returns.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Brock’s Mock had the Battalion selecting Anthony Romani 2/28 and Toronto Star had him ranked 17 overall. Still available at 41? Not bad.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
so what's every one figuring the lineup is gonna be looking like this year?

Any idea of where some of our top young players (Nelson, Wakely, Mathurin, Outwater, and Sima) are gonna be slotting in?

any word on who we may be targeting in the expansion draft?

so pumped to get out to some games come October!

Reactions: Uncle

The Green Tank

Jun 5, 2021
Hey now!

This is where we stand.

Russell/01-OA Euro-Petrov/03
Christopoulos/03 Arnsby/03 Jackson/02
Currie/02 Stevens/02 Campbell/02,
Wakely/04 Outwater/05 Van Steensel/04
Romani/05 Sima/05

1 OA available maybe Primeau/01, Coe/01?
1 Euro available

Nelson/04 Winslow/02
Christopoulos/03 Rose/01 OA
Hollett/03 Mayotte/02
Mathurin/04 Kennedy/05

Vrbetic/02
DiVincentiis/04

Reactions: belair

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Thanks G.T. I was just getting ready to submit but you beat me to it. I have the D-group in the same pairs and same order. For the F-group, I think when (if?) they fill the OA (possibly by trade) and Import slots, then Stevens and Campbell become expendable. Actually I don’t have either of them on my list, instead using Podolioukh and Ziliotto, for no particular reason.

Reactions: Uncle

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Does Coe have an entry level contract with SJ?
Not yet.

He doesn't have to be signed until next off-season, so there's a small chance he comes back for his OA season. But he's eligible to play pro, so it's up to San Jose what he does next season.

Reactions: Samee987

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
So many young high end names! This year will be so much fun I can’t wait.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
This is a tweet from Brock Otten re: the PBHH Invitational tournament taking place in Erie PA.

Avery Winslow, Gerard Keane, and Gavin White are three '02 defenders that have improved considerably since the last OHL season. The mobility and offensive abilities of all three have been on display all tournament. Among the best defenders here.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
so what's every one figuring the lineup is gonna be looking like this year?

Any idea of where some of our top young players (Nelson, Wakely, Mathurin, Outwater, and Sima) are gonna be slotting in?

any word on who we may be targeting in the expansion draft?

so pumped to get out to some games come October!

I really like the make-up and potential of the battalion. If Ertel can be signed, slot him in top two lines.
Vrbetic

Winslow-Christopolous
Rose-Nelson
Mathurin-Hollet

Petrov-Russell-Coe/Import
Jackson-Arnsby-Christopolous
Outwater-Wakley-Sima
Vansteensel-Podolioukh-Romani

Currie, Mayotte, Kennedy, McKenzie, Zilliotto

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.