North America Ice Hockey League (NAIHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Burke

Hey guys, some of you probably know me. I've created a number of fantasy leagues in my day, some of which were successful, others which bombed out. I think that although I've been partly to blame for some of the failures, it's also important that I get a good group of people to support me and work with me. Therefore for starters, I'd like to say I'm looking for people to help me run this league. I'd like to install a few people as moderators to help me keep the draft threads up to date and I want a few people to serve on the trades committee, which reviews trades. I also will need player agents, and these guys have to be willing to be completely unattached to any team, otherwise there is a danger of favoritism. If you're willing to help out, do let me know. You can only get as much out of this league as you put into it.

All that aside, this league will see a trio of fantasy drafts help you put together your team and coaching staff. There will be an NHLers fantasy draft to put together your main roster. Only skaters who have played more than 50 NHL games (or in the case of goalies, 25 games) are eligible to be drafted in this draft. This draft will be 30 rounds long and in the rather typical zig-zag draft order. Then there is a prospects fantasy draft. Only skaters with less than 50 games of NHL experience (or in the case of goalies, less than 25 games of NHL experience) are eligible. The 2004 entry draft eligible prospects may also be taken. There will be 15 rounds and again it will be in a zig-zag draft order. I will do up a random draft order for the NHLers draft, then reverse it for the prospects draft to achieve balance. The third draft is the coaches draft, which will be 5 rounds long (although teams only need to make a minimum of 3 picks). The order for this draft will be determined by the order of which you sign up. It won't be zig-zag, unless if there is any objections. Only coaches who are active or who have coached at any level in the past three years are eligible. You may draft AHL or CHL coaches, but you may not draft a coach who is dead or who hasn't coached in five years or something. This is a fantasy league but seeing as I'm going to be putting in "motivation" to get the best coaching staff you can, I figure we might as well take this draft seriously as well.

A feature that I have not noticed in many drafts is that this league with have team "owners". Owners decide how much power that they give to their GMs and Assistant GMs, but their primary responsibilities are to hire and fire personnel (GMs and Ass't GMs), to move a franchise if they so desire, to approve the GM's signings, to develop a "team plan" (i.e. a direction they want to take with the team - some teams might want a cost-effective contender, others to rebuild) and to negotiate any contract extensions they have to do with their GM and Ass't GM. Owners will need to submit their team plan and have a GM and two assistant GMs in place in order to have their application to be a part of the league accepted by myself.

General Managers still have much of the same power. They should help the owner get assistant GMs. They also will make all transactions and run all drafts for their organization. They also will negotiate new contracts with their coaches and assistant coaches. They can decide how much power they give to their assistants. They will negotiate with the owner to get the salary they want when their contract expires. In order to be approved into the league, GMs have to have two assistants in place.

Assistant General Managers will only have as much power as their GM will give them. But their primary role is to advise the GM. However, some GMs may decide it to be wise to spread the power and allow them to draft and make trades. Like GMs, assistant GMs will have to negotiate with the owner to get the salary they want when their contract runs out.

Player agents should be completely independant of any teams. If you want to run a team, this job is not for you. Agents will not only negotiate contracts for players, but will be responsible to represent coaches and assistant coaches. They should not be afraid to play hard ball and use all the bullets in their gun to get their way. There will be arbitration, players can hold out and UFAs can test the market, so I urge you that if you want to be a player agent you have to be willing to play it tough. These guys are needed to make the league work so please be one if you can.

If you want in, you should be sure to sign up at the forum, I'll provide the link later when I explain the rules in greater detail.

There are two salary caps. There is a cap of $50M which will be expected to cover the contracts of GMs, Ass't GMs, coaches and assistant coaches as well as the players. There is also an individual player cap of $11M but that shouldn't affect you much as no player makes more than that anyways. There is also a $10M farm cap to prevent people from stacking their farm. Further impeding this sort of thing is the fact that there is a $2M player cap of farm players. The $50M cap applies to your 23 man roster only, and will only be checked up on prior to opening night of the season. After that, it will only be checked on when you do trades. So if there is an injury and you call up someone, you will not have to worry about going over the cap.

There's so much more I should cover, but I've overloaded you guys already. I'll just say one more thing that it will be a league based on NHL 2004 for PC. NHL 2004 has much better adaptability than 2005 as I can easily create players and edit their ratings. And we're just simming so the graphics don't really matter. The ratings are out of date, but I'll just request that you guys send me some rating "recommendations" when you finalize your roster prior to opening night.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have questions, and I have other stuff to discuss in greater detail, but I've got most of the major stuff covered for now. I'll answer any questions you have via PM or you can even add me to your MSN @ [email protected]. Or just post them here. Thanks for checking this thread out and I hope it sounds cool!

Here's the link to the forum, it's not even close to ready, but I might as well give you keeners the link...

http://s6.invisionfree.com/CIHFL/index.php?act=idx

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Jon, I think that you're going to have problems finding people to be owners and GMs. But I'm in.

Is this a one-season or a keeper league?

That's what I was thinking too. I'd be in for sure, but I am not completely sold on the GM's, Ass-GM's, Owner's, & Player Agents.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
In the sim-league I'm in the player agents are just two of the GM's; one does the Eastern conference and the other does the Western, and when it comes to their own players the other player agent will deal with them.. It works pretty well.

I really can't see anyone wanting to be just the player agent and not actually be really involved in the league, thats all.

EDIT: Why don't you run this through a sim program like FHL-sim rather than NHL 2004? It'd be easier to factor in the Coaches etc, and its 1000x more realistic/accurate than the NHL 2004 simulation engine.

Last edited:

Jon Burke

Yeah, I'm seriously considering getting the FHL thing.

You're right it might be difficult to get owners and player agents, but I think it's a great idea in theory. I mean, it's so realistic right? If I have to end up cutting out a few of my extravagant ideas, then I guess I have to. But I'd like to at least try and aim for the sky :)

If you can, try and get some other people to join, okay?

Jon Burke

Nieuwy (Flame_Star_Devil is too long), I'm hoping it will be a keeper league that lasts a few years.

Jon Burke

Sign-Up List:

Flame_Star_Devil
hossy316
ofhdhdy
Lehtonen32
isles4ever (not registered at hf yet)

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Jon Burke said:
Sign-Up List:

Flame_Star_Devil
hossy316
ofhdhdy
Lehtonen32
isles4ever (not registered at hf yet)

Hey I haven't actually signed up, I was just offering some advice :)

If you run it through fhl-sim I might join, but I'm not too keen on an NHL 2004 simmed league.

I've seen Carolina win the Cup in the first year in NHL 2004, with no major additions to their roster.. :joker:

Jon Burke

I don't know, I might just have to simply this into a fantasy draft at hf with no long term commitments.

Jon Burke

NAIHL Cancelled

I might just be the George Steinbrenner of Commishes, but I just don't think it's going over all that well. I envisioned a full team of consisting of an owner, GM and at least two assistant GMs for each team but it just doesn't look too promising guys. It's a great idea, I still believe that, but I just don't think it looks too good. So I'm going to cancel it and maybe give it another try eventually.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no use in being a damn fool about it.
Or if you prefer the Simpsons..
Homer said:
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.

Somebody had to say it.. :D

Last edited:

Jon Burke

We should rename this league the WHA2, because it's back on again or could be... :lol:

Would more people agree if it was based on NHL stats than on NHL 2004?

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Jon Burke said:
We should rename this league the WHA2, because it's back on again or could be... :lol:

Sounds intriguing, although I'm not sure if you're serious.

A lot of the ideas you mentioned don't really apply if it were a NHL-stats league.. I'm all for those types of leagues though. How do you propose it'd work?

Jon Burke

You would know, that's for sure, eh buddy?

I'm still mulling it over, I might finally break out of my frugalness and buy a FHL... I think that might be the best way to do it. I guess for now the idea is on hold and I'm open to ideas and input from you guys.

Jon Burke

Alright guys, I've came up with a few compromises that perhaps make this league more viable (or I hope so). I wish I could do all that I wanted but it doesn't look like that will happen.

I'm going to look into my options and look seriously into getting an FHL sim.

As for the player agents, I agree, it's unlikely we'll get people who don't want to be GMs. So I'll just ask now if any of you punks ( ;) ) would be willing to serve as player agents. The more the better. Contracts will still have to go through me, just to make sure everyone's clear on that.

I don't think we're going to be able to get owners either, so I thought maybe we could have GMs of other teams serve as an owner of another team. Or maybe we should just scrap the idea entirely. But I think it's kind of neat.

As for having assistant GMs in place, I will allow you to be a GM or owner without having them, but you'll have to have them in place by a deadline which I'll put in place later.

I think that's about it for now, don't hesitate to raise any other issues that need to be addressed or make suggestions.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
yo is this league still on?? and btw jon for the love of god change that picture of yourself, everytime I look at it, I want to join the dark side

Jon Burke

I don't know if it's still on. It would be a joke if we had like 9 GMs but that's the way it looks right now. We'll see if we can get more people.

BTW, the pic is not of me, I was just kidding around as usual ;)

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Jon Burke said:

I'd rather do a sim instead of a fantasy league... more realistic.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Jon Burke said:
I don't know if it's still on. It would be a joke if we had like 9 GMs but that's the way it looks right now. We'll see if we can get more people.

BTW, the pic is not of me, I was just kidding around as usual ;)

I think you'll have to be patient, finding 30 GMs plus everything else you need in the offseason will likely take a while.

I'm in this sim league now that has been getting organised since February, and we haven't even set our final rosters yet; its awesome, we're in the middle of the UFA period.

Anyway, back to the point, I don't want to have the fulltime responsibility of being a GM but I actually wouldn't mind being an owner or a player agent for like the Southeast division or something..

Jon Burke

Well that would be nice. Pick a team to be owner of then go and get a GM for your team! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad