Speculation: Non tender candidates

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So basically any former Detroit prospect that another team claimed off waivers.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
I almost think the KHL is the best thing for Yak at this point. Maybe the only way to get him back on track? Idk..

GossomeRwing

Aug 6, 2005
I would like to see the Caps give Lander a shot
could be a good fit as the 4th line center very strong on face-offs
Edmonton has centers galore so maybe Anton just needs a fresh start
Washington needs help in the face-offs department

Lander looked to be on the verge back in 14-15 when he had 6 goals and 14 assists for 20 points in 38 games

He did put up very solid numbers for Bakersville this season leading the team with 25 goals - 30 assists for 55 pts in just 42 games

Maybe Backstrom can sell him on playing in Washington for less money than he will get playing in the KHL

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Alex Chiasson for the Flames. He had a good year, the coach likes him and he can move up and down the line-up..... BUT, we picked up Lazar and Brouwer made it through expansion. With his good year he will likely have a decent case in arbitration and with the Flames being relatively tight in cap space, they likely won't want to risk him going to arbitration, so I suspect they will non-tender him and then try and re-sign him

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I'd be surprised if Burmistrov isn't re-signed by Arizona. He was pretty solid. At worst, he's a bottom 6 PKer.
He could still be non-tendered even if they want to re-sign him. They may not want to go to arbitration with him and risk an unreasonable reward, so they non-tender him and then negotiate a deal without the threat of arbitration. It happens a few time every year. Hurricanes didn't qualify Riley Nash two years ago and Jiri Tlusty in 2011 and signed both of them. Devils did it with Devante Smith-Pelley and Beau Bennett last year. Flames tried to do it with Joe Colborne last year but he signed with the Avs.

Last edited:

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg
Perhaps Quinton Howden in Winnipeg, likewise with Ryan Olsen. they'll probably sign, but there are far better prospects starting in the A this year than those two.

Edit: Both HOwden and Olson - along with Kosmachuk - not qualified.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Who are the Joe Colborne's of this off season?

SO FAR

Nail Yakupov- SJ
Alexander Burmistrov- ARI
Brandon Pirri- NYR
Nikita Nesterov- MON (Not-Tendered)
Stefan Matteau- MON
Jacob Josefson- NJ
Eric Gelinas- COL
Anton Lander- EDM
Andrej Nestrasil
Tomas Jurco- CHI
Teemu Pulkkinen
Sergei Kalinin- TOR
Ryan Spooner- BOS
Martin Frk- DET

This list should be somewhat sobering for the posters here. A number of them were vastly over-rated in trade proposals here (no, I am not going to go search but as someone who's been on this board for many years I can assure everyone they were). There are plenty of names that I would have taken a shot on in past years so I'm not coming from some 'high-horse' position here. Just shows how tough it really is to stay in this league these days.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So basically any former Detroit prospect that another team claimed off waivers.

Kind of proving that the vaunted Detroit Way was nothing more than a few great draft picks when European and Russian players were undervalued at draft time across the league. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and the other older Russians drafted late were an anomaly, not a given.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Curious----do anyone know who became Group 6 UFAs because of low NHL game counts this year?

possibly Zemgus Girgenson
They wouldn't have protected him.

No way. And if you're going to propose him (incorrectly), at least get his name right.

For Buffalo, it'll likely be Justin Kea and Brady Austin that don't get QO's.

Kea is not Tendered

I think Austin gets a 1 yr deal. as an AHLer. entering year 4 I believe he doesn't count against the AHL vet limit in who you dress. That said, I could also see him become a Rochester only signing. He played last year for the Sabres and wasn't a tire fire.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Curious----do anyone know who became Group 6 UFAs because of low NHL game counts this year?

They wouldn't have protected him.

Kea is not Tendered

I think Austin gets a 1 yr deal. as an AHLer. entering year 4 I believe he doesn't count against the AHL vet limit in who you dress. That said, I could also see him become a Rochester only signing. He played last year for the Sabres and wasn't a tire fire.

Jordan Weal, Kenny Agostino, Connor Brickley and JF Berube were all Group VI free agents iirc. I know there were more, but that's all I remember

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Patrick Nemeth might not get tendered. On top of him I hope Dallas either trades Oleksiak or doesn't tender him.

We need to move on from those 2 and assuming we go after a FA D we then have 7 D without those 2

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Poor Nail.
Seems like just yesterday Blue Jacket & Oiler fans were pushing for 'Fail for Nail' campaign.
Would Nail Yakupov even be in a Redraft 1st round of the 2012 draft ? I seem to recall redrafts where he's not even in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad