Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Kings were different because once Johnson proved not only support but the fact the Maloof’s weren’t dealing in good faith, they voted the Seattle move down. Here mlb seems to almost want the A’s to move.

The Kings were different but there was still a lot of f***ery that happened before it was settled from the NBA and the city. The Kings were very close to being gone and it's the only thing Sacramento even has.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The Kings were different but there was still a lot of f***ery that happened before it was settled from the NBA and the city. The Kings were very close to being gone and it's the only thing Sacramento even has.
There was, but Stern handled it the way it should have been. Selig and Manfred have boxed the A’s into Howard Terminal or bust without even considering their current location to build on. They’re taking the city of Oakland hostage to make themselves richer at their expense.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There was, but Stern handled it the way it should have been. Selig and Manfred have boxed the A’s into Howard Terminal or bust without even considering their current location to build on. They’re taking the city of Oakland hostage to make themselves richer at their expense.

Which Stern has done to numerous locations as well. He's no saint in this regard. But I will agree that Selig and Manfred are/were clowns in this situation. The A's should've had a stadium a long time ago.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
A's don't have a stadium because their ownership is completely incompetent.

First it's San Jose, then it's sorry we really want to stay in Oakland, now they can't get along with Oakland city council and it's off to Vegas.

Bunch of greedy rich assholes looking for the biggest payout. At least they have stopped calling me to buy season tickets again.

#rootedinoakland my ass

Reactions: Arkansas Shark

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

First it's San Jose, then it's sorry we really want to stay in Oakland, now they can't get along with Oakland city council and it's off to Vegas.

Bunch of greedy rich assholes looking for the biggest payout. At least they have stopped calling me to buy season tickets again.

#rootedinoakland my ass
I completely agree on ownership, but I know city council will cave at the end of any demand to keep them in Oakland.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

#rootedinoakland my ass

IMO all sports leagues are essentially land-owner associations. Building a good team does help the product, TV deals are nice, but scoring prime real estate is the best.

Going through the history of baseball in the Bay, the A's are basically following the Giants' earlier steps (condemn the stadium, multiple failed stadium proposals, threaten to move, come up with a plan with pseudo private financing). Not that I agree with it, but it's par for the course. It's a looong negotiation with the public and politicians.
And in this case, the players seem to be:
- MLB wants good land/stadium situations for all its teams
- A's want a nice piece of land
- Oakland city council wants to secure political power
- Giants aren't too interested, but a one-team market wouldn't hurt, so they'll try to get an edge on all the other parties for future leverage

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I didn't think the Giants would be this fun to watch, especially with a few weeks before the ASG. It will be interesting to see what Farhan does because this team is a playoff team. I know they don't want to sacrifice their long term goals, but maybe those goals have been advancing far quicker than anyone thought.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Trade for MadBum, he still has something left, he was absolutely dominant for a five-game stretch earlier in May I believe.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Trade for MadBum, he still has something left, he was absolutely dominant for a five-game stretch earlier in May I believe.

I wonder if MadBum wants to come back. I don't think he had in mind that the team he went to would be one of the worst teams in the history of baseball. I feel a little bad for the guy, but then I didn't think Arizona would be this bad.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I don't think MadBum really cares about the quality of his team. If I recall correctly a huge selling point for him in Arizona was that he'd be closer a ranch he owns. And as we know, he loves being on the ranch. Plus state taxes. I don't know, MadBum is the ultimate competitor, but at the same time I think he's probably just fine finishing out his career in a place he wants to be. I feel like SF is the total opposite of who he is as a person.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Zaidi is a f***ing stud. I think if he gets a front-end SP at the deadline to pair with Gausman as the 1-2 punch (DeScalfani and Webb/Wood as the #3/#4) and a couple late-inning relievers to add to Rogers, McGee, Garcia, Leone, and possibly Moronta (or Brebbia I guess), this team could make a legit run. That hitting group is super deep with platoons with Ruf, Flores, Slater, Longoria (pre-injury), and Solano mashing lefties and Duggar, Wade, La Stella if he's healthy, and hopefully Dickerson if he finds his hitting groove mashing righties. Posey and Casali are great behind the plate. Crawford and Posey are somehow awesome every day players at age 34 with Belt (prior to the injury) and Yaz rebounding recently too. I was very skeptical about Kapler being hired as manager (and not just because of his history of dealing with the sexual abuse incident when he was the Dodgers), but his staff has done an excellent job, especially the hitting coaches. As fun as those grind-it-out 2010 and 2014 teams were, I think Bam Bam was very overrated as a hitting coach (outside of the 2012 group). Really excited to see what they can do as long as they don't run out of steam lol, but we've been saying it all season and here we are almost in mid-July...

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Zaidi is a f***ing stud. I think if he gets a front-end SP at the deadline to pair with Gausman as the 1-2 punch (DeScalfani and Webb/Wood as the #3/#4) and a couple late-inning relievers to add to Rogers, McGee, Garcia, Leone, and possibly Moronta (or Brebbia I guess), this team could make a legit run. That hitting group is super deep with platoons with Ruf, Flores, Slater, Longoria (pre-injury), and Solano mashing lefties and Duggar, Wade, La Stella if he's healthy, and hopefully Dickerson if he finds his hitting groove mashing righties. Posey and Casali are great behind the plate. Crawford and Posey are somehow awesome every day players at age 34 with Belt (prior to the injury) and Yaz rebounding recently too. I was very skeptical about Kapler being hired as manager (and not just because of his history of dealing with the sexual abuse incident when he was the Dodgers), but his staff has done an excellent job, especially the hitting coaches. As fun as those grind-it-out 2010 and 2014 teams were, I think Bam Bam was very overrated as a hitting coach (outside of the 2012 group). Really excited to see what they can do as long as they don't run out of steam lol, but we've been saying it all season and here we are almost in mid-July...

Did not know that detail about Kapler's Dodgers tenure. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad