Non-Minnesota NHL News XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomthestone*

Ryan Whitney

Per TSN's Bob McKenzie via Twitter, Florida waived veteran 6-4 defender Ryan Whitney on Friday. He carries a cap hit of $900K on a contract that expires at the end of this season according to CapGeek.

The guy hasn't been good in a long time, but the last few years have seen him put in situations that range from awful to completely horrendous. He has size, and at this point he's clearly more NHL ready than Mathew Dumba. For that reason alone I say put a claim in on the man.

I see value there, simply through getting a guranteed three years of Dumba on his entry-level contract. You'd have to think he comes into next year NHL ready, which is a big difference compared to burning up a season right meow while he struggles to find his footing in this league.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Per TSN's Bob McKenzie via Twitter, Florida waived veteran 6-4 defender Ryan Whitney on Friday. He carries a cap hit of $900K on a contract that expires at the end of this season according to CapGeek.

The guy hasn't been good in a long time, but the last few years have seen him put in situations that range from awful to completely horrendous. He has size, and at this point he's clearly more NHL ready than Mathew Dumba. For that reason alone I say put a claim in on the man.

I see value there, simply through getting a guranteed three years of Dumba on his entry-level contract. You'd have to think he comes into next year NHL ready, which is a big difference compared to burning up a season right meow while he struggles to find his footing in this league.

I could see us claiming him while still hanging on to Dumba due to the fact that we have blueliners limping around everywhere. Brodin, Ballard, Stoner, Spurgeon all have had some form of injury as of late.

tomthestone*

I could see us claiming him while still hanging on to Dumba due to the fact that we have blueliners limping around everywhere. Brodin, Ballard, Stoner, Spurgeon all have had some form of injury as of late.

They're carrying eight blueliners right now as it is though. If a claim were made on a veteran now or sometime soon, Dumba heads back to junior.

Suter-Brodin
Ballard-Spurgeon
Stoner-Scandella
Prosser/Dumba

It's unfortunate that Dumba can't go to the AHL because he's a rare case that is stuck right in between during his age-19 season, but he is in over his head at the highest level when push comes to shove. That won't change before the 2014 playoffs, so he should be sent back. A year spent getting bigger and working on specific areas of his game can't possibly hurt him, even if he is less than challenged.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
If Dumba does not stay up, I'd rather have them give Blum a shot.

Whitney is terrible defensively. Want no part of him, even as a stop-gap.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

i personally dont think we need another project. we could try blum, we've got prospects or next year we could go after a quality D man with heatrs cap. just my one cent.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

Yup. He had a shot to stand out in a very weak defensive core in Edmonton for the last several years and couldn't. There's a reason he didn't get signed by Florida until September this year.

J22*

Edmonton let him walk and Florida waived him, that tells me all that I need to know about him.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Edmonton. Trades Smid for prospects. Signs Bryzgalov. :biglaugh:

A gem from the mainboard thread:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Their defense is horrendous, Smid was one of only like three actual NHL caliber defenders...and they trade him for a center prospect and a goalie prospect.

What the ****, Edmonton? Unless they're actually pulling the trigger on trading Eberle to Philly for a defender like Coburn, this move makes no sense. :shakehead:

EDIT: Rumor now of Hemsky going to Phoenix for a defender? What? What a **** show in Edmonton. No wonder their fans are horrendous.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Winnipeg demolishing the Predators. 3 goals to open the game up. Hutton gets the hook.

I bet they're wishing they'd signed Bryz now, with Rinne out until Christmas.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yakupov's reaction to Edmonton's new moves.

Nail-Yakupov-Goal-Celebration.gif

J22*

Yakupov's reaction to Edmonton's new moves.

Nail-Yakupov-Goal-Celebration.gif

Every time I watch that gif, I like to think that Yakupov is really excited about realizing his dream of becoming an NHL player, only to spin around and remember he is still playing for Edmonton.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Every time I watch that gif, I like to think that Yakupov is really excited about realizing his dream of becoming an NHL player, only to spin around and remember he is still playing for Edmonton.

Hahaha thats perfect!

Billy Mays Here*

Honestly I think many of us here on our board could've done a better job than Homer the last couple years constructing that Flyers team. They sign Lecavalier, a very good CENTER, then move him to WING. Why the hell not trade one of Couturier or Schenn for a d-man and then leave Lecav as the 2nd line center? If I'm the Flyers I think it's time for a semi-rebuild. Trade away those vets while they still have value and rebuild for a couple years. Giroux and Voracek will be in the prime of their careers when the rebuild stops.

AND HOW THE HELL CAN A NHL GM BE SO STUPID TO SIGN A GUY LIKE STREIT TO A CONTRACT LIKE THAT?!?!?!?! Honest to God it just blows my mind how a GM can be so stupid. Someone explain to me how Mark freakin' Streit deserves more money per year than Lecavalier.

Make this your core moving forward and build a new team:

Voracek - Giroux - ?
? - Lecavalier - Simmonds
? - Schenn - ?
? - ? - ?

? - ?
Coburn - Schenn
? - ?

?
?

Status
Not open for further replies.