Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI - Vikings Failure Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Vikes working out kickers today. Too bad Gould is gone. I'm not really sure who's out there.

I feel bad for Walsh, really. It seems impossible this really happened thinking back, but remember how good he was in his rookie season? I think he set the record for most 50+ yarders without a miss. That proves it's all mental IMO. He could go on to be great again if he ever figures it out. It might just not be with us.

If we end up cutting him, what does that mean for the salary cap now and going forward? I don't know NFL salary cap details.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Vikes working out kickers today. Too bad Gould is gone. I'm not really sure who's out there.

I feel bad for Walsh, really. It seems impossible this really happened thinking back, but remember how good he was in his rookie season? I think he set the record for most 50+ yarders without a miss. That proves it's all mental IMO. He could go on to be great again if he ever figures it out. It might just not be with us.

If we end up cutting him, what does that mean for the salary cap now and going forward? I don't know NFL salary cap details.
The way I understand it, anything outside of guaranteed money in the NFL is forfeited if you get cut. Which is why guaranteed money is such a big deal in football contracts (i.e. "Van Miller signed a $60m contract, with $35m guaranteed")

So if Walsh gets cut, his cap hit is gone. At least that's the way I understand it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Kickers are the goalies on the NFL, as much mental as physical skills

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
So maybe I'm wrong that they wouldn't owe Walsh anything. Or maybe they just have to pay him the remainder of this year's salary.

His contract extension had $5.25mil guaranteed.

I assume they wouldn't put all of it in the first year so its likely there would be dead cap.

Random websites online show his dead cap hit would be $550,000 for 3 more years if I'm reading them correctly.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/blair-walsh-9996/

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I didn't realize we have only drafted two linemen in the first three rounds in the last 10 years. Without a first this year, we currently have 5 picks in the next three rounds. Gotta think two are used on lineman.

Also, Anthony Barr has had a very quiet year.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Am I the only one that thinks of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) when ever i see the USMNT soccer abbreviation?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I just don't get it. Why can't we tackle anymore? What happened to our pressure? We hardly have any sacks in the past month. It's pretty much the same team that started so well. I just don't get how we look so much worse in literally every single part of the game. O-line, passing game, running game, run D, pass D, special teams, defensive pressure. It's unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad