OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Gonna be a tough year to be a twins fan but that catch Buck just made is reason enough to watch. Man he’s the best center fielder I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Gonna be a tough year to be a twins fan but that catch Buck just made is reason enough to watch. Man he’s the best center fielder I’ve ever seen.
One thing is for sure, we've been spoiled with our center fielders (at least defensively). Puckett, Hunter, Buck. Span wasn't too shabby, either. I was amazed at what Puckett and Hunter did but Buxton is a tier above those two, imo.

I watch very little basketball because the modern game barely resembles what basketball is supposed to be.

The traveling was getting bad in the 90's, but now it's downright ridiculous.
What, you don't like handball? I love watching the palming and taking 28 steps myself.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
One thing is for sure, we've been spoiled with our center fielders (at least defensively). Puckett, Hunter, Buck. Span wasn't too shabby, either. I was amazed at what Puckett and Hunter did but Buxton is a tier above those two, imo.

What, you don't like handball? I love watching the palming and taking 28 steps myself.
Michael A Taylor was an absolute beast in the field too. We w really been spoiled

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Enjoy watching Buxton in the field while you can. His track record suggests it won't last.

Reactions: MuckOG

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Who is everyones opponent of choice for Twolves in 1st round of Playoffs?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Interesting question that was brought up, would you rather have:

Will Levis
Byron Murphy II
Nate Wiggins/Kool-Aid McKinstry/Adonai Mitchell/Chop Robinson
2025 1st Round Pick

vs

Jordan Addison
JJ McCarthy

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

Will Levis
Byron Murphy II
2025 1st Round Pick

vs

Jordan Addison
JJ McCarthy
The latter? Levis doesn’t do anything for me

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Will Levis
Byron Murphy II
2025 1st Round Pick

vs

Jordan Addison
JJ McCarthy
Is this a proposed trade? I can't figure out the logistics of these options.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Is this a proposed trade? I can't figure out the logistics of these options.
The Purple Daily rumored price for #3 from the Patriots is #11 (Murphy) + #23 (Wiggins, McKinstry, Mitchell or Robinson) + 2025 1st.

This seems to be a scenario where the vikings take Levis instead of Addison and then use the picks this year on other needs (DT, secondary).

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The Purple Daily rumored price for #3 from the Patriots is #11 (Murphy) + #23 (Wiggins, McKinstry, Mitchell or Robinson) + 2025 1st.

This seems to be a scenario where the vikings take Levis instead of Addison and then use the picks this year on other needs (DT, secondary).
Yes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The price to move up is ruinously expensive, especially if next year is a down one(just ask CAR). Much as I want a good QB, you have to look at the hit rate on first round QB's(25%?) and wonder if the Vikes wouldn't be better off taking BPA at #11, best QB available at #23, and keeping their 2025 1st. With a strong NFC north next year, chances are they will be picking high again next year... maybe high enough to get a better QB prospect?

I find it strange how QB prospects like Daniels and McCarthy went from being rated around 10-12 and in the 20's at the end of the season to #3 and #4.

Reactions: fgobuzz

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The price to move up is ruinously expensive, especially if next year is a down one(just ask CAR). Much as I want a good QB, you have to look at the hit rate on first round QB's(25%?) and wonder if the Vikes wouldn't be better off taking BPA at #11, best QB available at #23, and keeping their 2025 1st. With a strong NFC north next year, chances are they will be picking high again next year... maybe high enough to get a better QB prospect?

I find it strange how QB prospects like Daniels and McCarthy went from being rated around 10-12 and in the 20's at the end of the season to #3 and #4.

The value of QBs in the draft is always inflated due to it being the most important position in football. Demand is always exceeding supply.

For sure there is risk in trading up for any of these guys. But if they turn out to be the answer at QB for the next 10 years, does it really matter how much it costs? I don't think so. And if he doesn't turn out, then KAM will get fired.

We've been trying to find the answer in later rounds and have yet to hit on anyone. Trying to get one in free agency can become so expensive, that you may not be able to address other areas of weakness.

It all comes down to evaluation and whether KOC can develop whoever they draft to turn into a top 10 QB. I'd pull the trigger.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We've been trying to find the answer in later rounds and have yet to hit on anyone. Trying to get one in free agency can become so expensive, that you may not be able to address other areas of weakness.
I think that's the problem. Thinking you can get a quality starting QB in the later rounds is dumb. They needed to invest at least a first or second round pick in one.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think that's the problem. Thinking you can get a quality starting QB in the later rounds is dumb. They needed to invest at least a first or second round pick in one.

...and the success rate for QBs drafted in the 1st round is largely dependent on the team that is drafting them. Most players picked in the top 5 are going to teams that stink. The Vikings missed the playoffs, but have the weapons in place that can help a young QB succeed: a solid WR/TE corps, good RBs and a good o-line. Everyone tells us that KOC is the guy to groom a young QB.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
...and the success rate for QBs drafted in the 1st round is largely dependent on the team that is drafting them. Most players picked in the top 5 are going to teams that stink. The Vikings missed the playoffs, but have the weapons in place that can help a young QB succeed: a solid WR/TE corps, good RBs and a good o-line. Everyone tells us that KOC is the guy to groom a young QB.
You can get a decent QB in the middle of the 1st round/2nd round, which is why Will Levis was brought up.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You can get a decent QB in the middle of the 1st round/2nd round, which is why Will Levis was brought up.

If they fall to you, sure. There were some mocks before last years draft that had Levis going much higher in the 1st round, then as we got closure to draft day he started falling. I'm not sure what that was about, I think it had more to do with him as a person rather than his play.

Aaron Rodgers was projected to be picked higher than he was, but fell to #20 (I think). Right into the lap of the Packers.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If they fall to you, sure. There were some mocks before last years draft that had Levis going much higher in the 1st round, then as we got closure to draft day he started falling. I'm not sure what that was about, I think it had more to do with him as a person rather than his play.

Aaron Rodgers was projected to be picked higher than he was, but fell to #20 (I think). Right into the lap of the Packers.
I think we're in agreement that Minnesota hasn't done enough to get a QB, but they are going to over correct themselves here.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Will Levis? The Titans QB prospect that looked completely pedestrian in the game time that he got? If I'm trading for a QB, it's not going to be for Will Levis.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

24th. His hometown 49ers skipped him at #1 for Alex Smith.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
24th. His hometown 49ers skipped him at #1 for Alex Smith.

That draft is very weird by today's standards. 3 RB went in the top-5. A-Rod was 24th and the 2nd QB taken that draft, with Campbell being 25th. In today's league the all 3 QBs would probably be taken in the top-7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad