OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Easily the worst starting QB in the division.

Speaking of division QB rankings:

1. Jordan Love
2. Jared Goff
3 Caleb Williams
4. Sam Darnold

In all seriousness, I think Darnold might surprise a few people. Like most high draft picks, he was selected by a terrible organization in the Jets and traded to an even worse organization in the Panthers. He's never had real opportunity to show what he is capable of.

It's possible that in the right environment, with the right players and coaching, he could turn into a decent player. Not holding my breath, but not dismissing it either.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I will die of laughter if Minnesota doesn’t draft a quarterback.
They need to be prepared for that scenario. If the worst case scenario is that they get a Pro Bowl level WR/OT and another vg position player (CB/DL?) out of the 1st round, then so be it.

I would love for the the Vikes to get a great QB, but if there isn't one there when they pick, then reaching for a Christian Ponder level guy in the 1st would set them back.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
They need to be prepared for that scenario. If the worst case scenario is that they get a Pro Bowl level WR/OT and another vg position player (CB/DL?) out of the 1st round, then so be it.

I would love for the the Vikes to get a great QB, but if there isn't one there when they pick, then reaching for a Christian Ponder level guy in the 1st would set them back.
Penix Jr will be available at 23 barring something crazy happening. That’s not a Christian Ponder level player. He’s got a really good arm.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Vikings got to be careful this draft. NE I think can sense their desperation for a QB, and will likely try to exploit them by demanding the #11, #23 AND Minny's #1 next year for the Pats #3 this year. That's way to heavy a price to pay for someone like Drake May, who's prolly a good starting QB but not the franchise QB the Vikes want. Meanwile, assuming that trade goes through, NE gets 4 fat first round picks in the next 2 years.

They also have to resist the temptation of trading up to get JJ McCarthy. That guy is good but not top 10 good. Vikes can likely get him at the #11 pick.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The team has agreed to terms with both edge defender Jihad Ward and linebacker Kamu Grugier-Hill. The financial terms of the deals were not immediately made available, but I would suspect they’re probably one-year deals.
Grugier-Hill has been in the league since 2016 when he was a sixth-round pick of the New England Patriots out of Eastern Illinois. He was waived by the Patriots as part of their final cuts and claimed by the Philadelphia Eagles, where he spent four seasons, including winning a Super Bowl that we don’t talk about around here.

Following his time with Philadelphia, he signed with the Miami Dolphins for the 2020 season, where he was coached by current Vikings’ defensive coordinator Brian Flores. He then spent about a season and a half with the Houston Texans, being granted his release by them midway through the 2022 season. He finished the 2022 season with the Arizona Cardinals and played for the Carolina Panthers this past season.
Ward was also a part of the 2016 NFL Draft, but he went much earlier than Grugier-Hill did, being selected by the Oakland Raiders with their second-round pick. He played for the Raiders for two seasons before being traded to the Dallas Cowboys during the 2018 offseason. The Cowboys then cut Ward, and he signed on with the Indianapolis Colts’ practice squad.

Ward spent 2018 with the Colts and made their squad in 2019, only to be released a few weeks into the season. He was then signed by the Baltimore Ravens, and played there through the end of the 2020 season. He then spent a year with the Jacksonville Jaguars and followed that up by playing the past two seasons with the New York Giants.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
So in hockey terms, what is the gap of difference between JJ and Penix/Nix?

Just trying to get into football after a decade out of it, but it doesn't appear that you are guaranteed a starting QB in the first, so why trade your two firsts and maybe more for Maye, or your two firsts to get JJ, when you could probably get Penix or Nix plus another 1st round talent?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Vikings got to be careful this draft. NE I think can sense their desperation for a QB, and will likely try to exploit them by demanding the #11, #23 AND Minny's #1 next year for the Pats #3 this year. That's way to heavy a price to pay for someone like Drake May, who's prolly a good starting QB but not the franchise QB the Vikes want. Meanwile, assuming that trade goes through, NE gets 4 fat first round picks in the next 2 years.

They also have to resist the temptation of trading up to get JJ McCarthy. That guy is good but not top 10 good. Vikes can likely get him at the #11 pick.
He will be gone at #2. Daniels will be at #3.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So in hockey terms, what is the gap of difference between JJ and Penix/Nix?

Just trying to get into football after a decade out of it, but it doesn't appear that you are guaranteed a starting QB in the first, so why trade your two firsts and maybe more for Maye, or your two firsts to get JJ, when you could probably get Penix or Nix plus another 1st round talent?
In terms of our own prospect pool: JJ McCarthy is like Liam Ohgren, Michael Penix Jr is like Riley Heidt, and Bo Nix is like Charlie Stramel.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nothing is a "sure thing", but I think McCarthy will be gone before 11.
I don’t think it would be the end of the world if the vikings drafted Penix Jr at 23, but McCarthy would be a much better selection IMO. It also helps that McCarthy is almost 3 years younger than Penix Jr.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don’t think it would be the end of the world if the vikings drafted Penix Jr at 23, but McCarthy would be a much better selection IMO. It also helps that McCarthy is almost 3 years younger than Penix Jr.

Agreed. The only knock on McCarthy seems to be that because Michigan was such a good team, he wasn't called on a lot to win them games. In addition to being younger than Penix, he also doesn't have the injury history.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
McCarthy makes me really nervous, but what the hell, take the shot. If they’re wrong it’s both their jobs anyway. Or should be.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
McCarthy makes me really nervous, but what the hell, take the shot. If they’re wrong it’s both their jobs anyway. Or should be.

All of the QB prospects (including Williams) have some question marks to their game....so I guess I'll be nervous about whoever they take. There are no guarantees.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2