Nominations for gm of the year - wtf

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
For what Marc Bergevin did in Montreal I could understand though they were not as bad as they finished last season and they were not as good as they finished this season.

Same goes for Anaheim's Bob Murray.

Ray Shero had a stacked deck to begin with. He should maybe get an award for fitting such good players under the cap but he really didn't have to do much.

Bryan Murray on the other hand showed what it takes to keep a team in the running for a playoff position despite the amount of injuries this team went through. How he was not nominated is just wrong.

If Michel Therrien gets nominated for coach of the year over Paul Maclean it will be a complete joke if it is already not.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
@CraigJButton: With all due respect to 3 Finalists for @NHL GM of year, Slam Dunk choice should be Bryan Murray. Positioned Ottawa for success. Great moves

The Fuhr*

Murray team went from 8th to 7th...
Ducks and Habs had significant jumps up the standings
Pens made moves to bring in even more talent.

Next season when the Sens go from 7th to division winners BM will get nominated.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
GM of the year is a stupid award anyways. It should be GM of the past 3 or 5 years.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think Murray should win a major award for not yielding to the temptation to trade away the future for current roster players when the injury bug hit us hard. I have already said on this board many times that I think Shero failed miserably, because he turned a fast puck moving team to a slow, plodding team that is ripe for the picking. Bergevin was excellent and deserves to be on the ballot. The other Murray is an ok choice if for no other reason than he managed to sign his two biggest assets before they hit the open market.

Note two of the three have teams already out of the playoffs, and I am predicting the third will be sent packing in the second round. This is despite the fact that two of the three started with a heavily stacked team. By this standard Sather should be nominated every year.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

Next season when the Sens go from 7th to division winners BM will get nominated.

I just don't get this "brought in more talent" argument, it means absolutely nothing unless the Pens win the Cup or go very far. Any GM can bring in additional talent at the deadline, it's not difficult. What's difficult is ensuring that bringing in that additional talent doesn't disrupt the existing chemistry. Maybe it will work, we don't know yet, but history tells us it seldom does.

Bryan Murray's magic was not a big jump in the standings but filling the organization with depth that can step in right away and contribute. And as a bonus, the team continues to do well. That's difficult, not many GMs can pull that off.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I just don't get this "brought in more talent" argument, it means absolutely nothing unless the Pens win the Cup or go very far. Any GM can bring in additional talent at the deadline, it's not difficult. What's difficult is ensuring that bringing in that additional talent doesn't disrupt the existing chemistry. Maybe it will work, we don't know yet, but history tells us it seldom does.

Bryan Murray's magic was not a big jump in the standings but filling the organization with depth that can step in right away and contribute. And as a bonus, the team continues to do well. That's difficult, not many GMs can pull that off.

Also, when you look at the overall rosters of Montreal, Anahiem, Ottawa, and Pittsburgh we have the most draft picks in our system. We are the prime example of building from within.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A GMs job is very results oriented, and as it's the GMs voting for this award, it stands to reason they would look at the end results when voting. I imagine B. Murr got plenty of votes though, he just didn't end up in the top 3.

That said, plenty of people around here think McLean deserves Coach of the year for getting through all the injuries, and also think B.Murr should get GM of the year. Not sure you can have it both ways.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Also, when you look at the overall rosters of Montreal, Anahiem, Ottawa, and Pittsburgh we have the most draft picks in our system. We are the prime example of building from within.

My understanding was that GMs were responsible for all avenues of building a team; Good trades and free agent pick-ups aren't worth as much as draft picks? In the end, who cares how you build a winning team, it's the results that matter.

My only issue with this award is that a GMs award should look at a longer period than just one year, as a move that's good now may be very harmfull in the future.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
That said, plenty of people around here think McLean deserves Coach of the year for getting through all the injuries, and also think B.Murr should get GM of the year. Not sure you can have it both ways.

So if Therrien gets nominated for COTY, then we can get upset?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So if Therrien gets nominated for COTY, then we can get upset?

As I said, I'm sure B.Murr got plenty of votes, he just didn't land in the top 3. This whole "nominated" term that gets thrown around is a bit of a misnomer; all the gms are eligible to receive votes, but only the top 3 get announced.

The NHL broadcasters association votes for Coach of the year, so tbh I don't put much stock in it myself.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone else go the whole day thinking Bryan Murray was nominated? All I saw was Murray in the headline blurb and kept moving on :laugh:

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
Hockey Central at Noon was pretty good today. Doug Maclean said he voted for Bryan Murray. They then spent the next 5 minutes talking about Montreal improved but it's not due to any "hockey moves" by Bergevin. He didn't deal away their kids, he did shed some salary in Cole, and he got PK resigned (eventually). Best line: "Marc Bergevin didn't make Andrei Markov healthy."

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Murray team went from 8th to 7th...
Ducks and Habs had significant jumps up the standings

I agree, it's a results based business & those teams moved the most in the standings. Building from within is irrelevant, while we love what Murray has done here the other teams rose higher in the standings & that clearly is what won here. Maybe if Ottawa would have finished higher in the standings Murray would have had more of a shot but moving up one place is only slightly better. However, making the playoffs without 4 of their best players in the lineup & with reinforcements from their farm depth should have gotten a little more attention.

Pitt won the Conference & did it without their two best players for good portions of the season. It's not easy to make trades & bring in big name players or else everyone would be doing it. It takes patience, perserverance, risk & balls to make some trades especially if you are stealing players from under the nose of an opposing team. I'm quite sure he didn't get the award for that, but Shero has been making significant moves to improve his team every year & continues to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad