Injury Report: Nolan Patrick Diagnosed With Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26); limited practice, quotes (Feb 17-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’m waiting for our resident pharmacist to give us a better idea for treatment.

I tend to not get these people admitted up to me.

What do you do? Don’t feel obligated to answer if you’re not comfortable with it.

I think this will be a long term issue but he will come out ok. I would just assume he’s out or not really contributing much this year. Sign him for 4 mill x 4 years and hope he finally hits it next year.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Please tell me how a "Future top 6 center" can be counted on throughout a season and post-season with this issue?

Hence why we need to trade him. We're going to be waiting around for his head to feel consistently better while wasting our vet's prime years?

Reactions: phillydownsouth

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Please tell me how a "Future top 6 center" can be counted on throughout a season and post-season with this issue?

Hence why we need to trade him. We're going to be waiting around for his head to feel consistently better while wasting our vet's prime years?

He ain't getting traded right now because he won't pass a physical.

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
Not to mention, what team would trade anything for him? It's idiotic to suggest trading him as we would be giving him away for something miniscule like a conditional 5th 4 years down the line.

The best we can do is hope that he recovers (to live a normal life first and foremost) and to play would be even better.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I wish we had top 9 center depth in the organization -- like Couturier, Hayes, Giroux, Frost, Rubtsov in the next few years -- should anything happen to Patrick, so we wouldn't have to sell low on a promising young player who likely does recover once he gets his treatment plan under control.

But we don't. Clock is ticking. Doomed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Do you really think any team is trading anything noteworthy for Patrick at the moment let alone some plug in player that could fill the middle of the lineup?

Patrick is a question mark for other teams as well. Maybe some team would trade a mid round pick but what exactly does that do for us right now?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I wouldn't go with the mushrooms, but LSD might convince him he's the second coming of Wayne Gretzky.

zmtTmpg.jpg

Reactions: Ernest95

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He ain't getting traded right now because he won't pass a physical.

You can legally trade for an injured player from a rules standpoint. Obviously it doesn’t happen a lot of as team more times than not wants the player to be able to play right away.

But it has happened before. Evander Kane for example when traded to Buffalo from Winnipeg he was injured & ruled out for the rest of that year. Buffalo was tanking though so they didn’t care about that season.

Obviously everybody knows Patrick wouldn’t pass a physical right now. So if there was a team interested in trading for him they’d be going into knowing that he’s injured & there is no time table for his return.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
What do you do? Don’t feel obligated to answer if you’re not comfortable with it.

I think this will be a long term issue but he will come out ok. I would just assume he’s out or not really contributing much this year. Sign him for 4 mill x 4 years and hope he finally hits it next year.

My daughter suffers from chronic migraines. It is tough to nail down dietary factors and then which medication to use. It can takes weeks to determine if a medication is helping or if it just a period without a migraine. Then if it’s determijed not to work it takes a few weeks take get off and ramp up on a new medication. It has been a lot of trial and error.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
They very well could have been preparing to not have Patrick at all this year if it takes as long as people are saying to find the right combo of things to keep it at bay. If he comes back, it seems more a bonus at this point.

Prediction...mid January he comes back.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
My daughter suffers from chronic migraines. It is tough to nail down dietary factors and then which medication to use. It can takes weeks to determine if a medication is helping or if it just a period without a migraine. Then if it’s determijed not to work it takes a few weeks take get off and ramp up on a new medication. It has been a lot of trial and error.

Wow sorry man. That sounds so terrible. Medicine has a long long way to go still. I hope it’s going ok now.

Reactions: Larry44

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
They very well could have been preparing to not have Patrick at all this year if it takes as long as people are saying to find the right combo of things to keep it at bay. If he comes back, it seems more a bonus at this point.

Prediction...mid January he comes back.
Hayes was a reaction to them knowing and they were sheltering the kid from the media knowing this city is a zoo with medical issues like this?

Reactions: Larry44

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I am not a medical professional, but I used to get migraines frequently until someone told me it is caused by blood vessels to your brain being constricted (no idea if this is true) and that drinking a significant amount of water as soon as symptoms start (I always know when I am getting one because I start losing my eyesight before the pain starts) can improve blood flow and stop it. I haven't had any that I haven't been able to stop since I started doing that.

If what I was told is true, that is probably not good news because being dehydrated and in a cold environment probably doesn't help blood flow. Hopefully he will be able to find a solution.
Sounds like bullshit, because drinking a f*** ton of water would increase blood volume, and increased blood volume in constricted vessels = higher blood pressure which could contribute to headaches.

Migraines are an umbrella term. Some are idiopathic, some are hormone based, some trauma based, all are relatively unpredictable.

That being said, stay hydrated kids

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hayes was a reaction to them knowing and they were sheltering the kid from the media knowing this city is a zoo with medical issues like this?
No...it could be that Fletch had no indication or timetable that Patrick would be able to actually play, so he went out and got that #2C guaranteed instead of "hoping" Patrick's migraines would stop AND Frost would be ready for the #3 spot AND that neither C or Couts would get hurt all year.

Him adding Hayes was him hedging his bet and knowing those top 2 spots were locked down and he only "needed" one of the 2 top grab that #3 spot and stay healthy. And neither has. Hopefully we will soon be in a position where both become healthy AND NHL ready and we can finally ice the team most hoped for in the summer.

Reactions: RebusFlyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad